Sign in to follow this  
Remember The Alomar

Boxing Thread

One of many sad stories in boxing history. I remember him very well. Big puncher with a bright future.

He's one of the many casualties of the sport. I feel bad for him, because a lot of people looked at his dark past and used it as an example of "karma coming back around". I think that's a sick way to look at things, because everyone deserves a chance to turn from an old way of life and ask forgiveness for their wrongs. McClellan never got that chance.

What do you guys think about the Manny vs. Floyd fight? I'm going with Mayweather by a clear cut UD, but it might be closer than that. Also, have any of you seen Gennady Golovkin fight recently? I'm unsure of what to think of him, but he's got the skill to be the "next big thing". Unreal punching power and focus, lacks defense and is a bit plodding, but reminds me of Julio Caesar Chavez.

He's one of the many casualties of the sport. I feel bad for him, because a lot of people looked at his dark past and used it as an example of "karma coming back around". I think that's a sick way to look at things, because everyone deserves a chance to turn from an old way of life and ask forgiveness for their wrongs. McClellan never got that chance.

What do you guys think about the Manny vs. Floyd fight? I'm going with Mayweather by a clear cut UD, but it might be closer than that. Also, have any of you seen Gennady Golovkin fight recently? I'm unsure of what to think of him, but he's got the skill to be the "next big thing". Unreal punching power and focus, lacks defense and is a bit plodding, but reminds me of Julio Caesar Chavez.

I agree 100%. Floyd 8 round to 4. I need to see GGG really tested. In boxing history we've seen a many of young fighters look like the next big thing only to be derailed. He seems to have his head on straight. That's always a plus.

I agree 100%. Floyd 8 round to 4. I need to see GGG really tested. In boxing history we've seen a many of young fighters look like the next big thing only to be derailed. He seems to have his head on straight. That's always a plus.

I'm with you man, I don't know if GGG has been tested yet. I have a bad feeling if he gets in the ring with someone like Andre Ward, and I'd pay good money to see him in there with Canelo Alvarez or JCC Jr.

Keep this thread going fellas, I love talking boxing!!

I don't know about paying 100 dollars for the Pac vs Money fight. If the fight were five years ago then maybe. The fact Pac was knocked cold by JMM has taken a lot away from this fight. A guy that Money beat the hell out of.

That was the first compelling Klitschko fight in more than a decade. Jennings showed an amazing chin and made it interesting. Maybe in a year or so we can see Klitschko in the ring with Wilder.

Jennings is a busy fighter. Wlad like to hold and slow down the pace. The ref didn't let Wlad get away with holding tho I've seen a lot worse. Wlad better fight Wilder now. Wlad is 39 and not getting any younger.

Brothers and Sisters, I see Floyd in a easy win. Maybe 8-4 or 9-3 in rounds. I'm not really up for this fight. Both are past there prime and four fights ago Pac was knocked cold.

o

At only 19 years-old, Tony Ayala, Jr. was the #1-ranked junior middleweight in the world in 1982. He had a record of 22-0 with 19 KO's, and in addition to being on the verge of perhaps winning the world junior middleweight title, Ayala, Jr. was seen as a very real threat to Marvin Hagler's undisputed world middleweight title.

However, Ayala's dreams came crashing down on him when he was convicted of rape, and sent to prison for 16 years.

After Ayala, Jr. was released in 1999, he attempted a comeback, even though he was by now past his prime. He won 5 consecutive fights before breaking his hand during a match with former world champion Yori Boy Campas.

After his hand healed, Ayala, Jr. won 4 more fights before his career ended for good with an 11th-round TKO loss to Anthony Bonsante.

Ayala, Jr. was re-incarcerated for 10 more years between 2004 and 2014 for a parole violation.

Ayala, Jr. was 52 years-old.

Controversial San Antonio Boxing Legend Tony Ayala, Jr. Found Dead at Gym

(By Mark D. Wilson and John Whisler)

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Controversial-San-Antonio-boxer-Tony-Ayala-Jr-6258068.php

o

o

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/report-mayweather-received-illegal-iv-before-pacquiao-fight/ar-AAe7QWf?li=AAa0dzB

In a long report about boxing and the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, SB Nation’s Thomas Hauser found that Mayweather received an IV, which is prohibited no matter what it contains, a day before his May 2 bout with Manny Pacquiao. Mayweather’s two IVs contained multi-vitamins and Vitamin C, but IVs are disallowed because they can “dilute or mask the presence of another substance.”
The USADA granted Mayweather a retroactive therapeutic use exemption for the IVs — 18 days after the fight, which Mayweather won by unanimous decision, happened on May 20. The undefeated boxer didn’t even apply for the TUE until May 19, and because of a loophole in their drug-testing contract, the USADA didn’t have to notify the Nevada State Athletic Commission and Pacquiao’s camp until after Mayweather received his exemption. UCLA Olympic Analytical Laboratory Don Catlin told Hauser that the USADA didn’t say why it granted the TUE to Mayweather.
The situation is even more interesting considering Pacquiao was denied a (legal) injection of Toradol before the fight for his torn rotator cuff because the request to the NSAC wasn’t made in a timely manner.

Dude, Big fight Saturday. Miguel Cotto vs Canelo Alverez. A pick'em fight for a lot of people. There is a old saying in boxing it's not how old the car is it's how many miles in has on it. Cotto has a lot of miles on him. Alverez by KO.

Edited by mrbig1

o

Former Junior Welterweight champion of the world Aaron Pryor has died.

In addition to being the WBA and IBF Junior Welterweight champion of the world from August of 1980 through March of 1985, Pryor was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1996.

Pryor never lost his title in the ring. He retired as the world champion in 1985 with a record of 36-0, with 32 KO's. In attempting a comeback in August of 1987, he lost to contender Bobby Joe Young. Pryor fought 3 more times, winning them all before retiring for good in 1990.

When Pryor first won the world title in 1980, it was at the expense of another legend and Hall-of-Famer, Antonio Cervantes. Among his victories in his 10 successful title defenses were knockouts of Alexis Arguello (twice), Miguel Montilla, Dujuan Johnson, and Akio Kameda.

Pryor was 60 years-old.

Family, Buddy LaRosa Remember Boxer Aaron Pryor

(By Shannon Russell)

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2016/10/10/family-buddy-larosa-remember-boxer-aaron-pryor/91847568/

o