BaltimoreTerp

Baltimore Sun To Add Online Paywall, Fail Within Three Years

The Escape doesn't work in my browser, but there are so many other ways around the wall that it's comical. I don't understand why they didn't invest in a server-side option. With all of the content types (articles, blogs, forums), maybe they thought it was too difficult/costly.

Oh really? I use Chrome. It also works if I hit 'stop' using Atomic Web on iPhone.

I have to admit, what they've implemented is sort of clever in a 'duh' way. Plopping a javascript library that took a week to build into their framework might work 80% of the time, and the cost was minimal. I would have never thought to do it that way...Probably because it would never get past my testers!

Oh really? I use Chrome. It also works if I hit 'stop' using Atomic Web on iPhone.

I have to admit, what they've implemented is sort of clever in a 'duh' way. Plopping a javascript library that took a week to build into their framework might work 80% of the time, and the cost was minimal. I would have never thought to do it that way...Probably because it would never get past my testers!

Right, and all they really need to do is block people who would be likely to subscribe. For that group of people, it might work way more than 80%.

I'm using an old version of Internet Explorer (v7) and the Escape trick doesn't work.

I have no control over when the IT people at work decide to update. :(

Does it work for anyone else using IE?

I'm using an old version of Internet Explorer (v7) and the Escape trick doesn't work.

I have no control over when the IT people at work decide to update. :(

Does it work for anyone else using IE?

How can they torture you with that? Damn man.

I go there every day and must have hit my 15 page limit around the 11th or 12th. I've gotten one pop up offering me the subscription and I just closed it. I haven't gotten anything since and can still access the site as much as I want.

I visit BaltimoreSun.com every single day from both work and home as well, and have yet to see anything about subscribing or a paywall. Not that I'm complaining, but surely I've hit the 15-page limit by now.

Not sure if there's some trick I'm doing, but I've been able to continually access the site without any issues whatsoever.

I go there every day and must have hit my 15 page limit around the 11th or 12th. I've gotten one pop up offering me the subscription and I just closed it. I haven't gotten anything since and can still access the site as much as I want.
I visit BaltimoreSun.com every single day from both work and home as well, and have yet to see anything about subscribing or a paywall. Not that I'm complaining, but surely I've hit the 15-page limit by now.

Not sure if there's some trick I'm doing, but I've been able to continually access the site without any issues whatsoever.

Interesting. It's gotten me every single time since my 15 page limit.

Simply visiting the webpages doesn't do anything.

The 'count' only goes when you click on a specific article to read.

Every time I go there I click on and read several articles. Easily a half dozen a day.

Simply visiting the webpages doesn't do anything.

The 'count' only goes when you click on a specific article to read.

Well it's not like I'm going to just the Sun's main page and looking at it. Naturally I'm clicking on the articles and reading them. I'm mostly there for the Ravens stuff, but I'll read the local news occasionally as well.

I'd say I'm good for at least 5-10 page views a day, yet no lockout for me.

Just a random thought, I work for a school system. Could they somehow be exempt from the paywall?

It wouldn't explain my good fortune at home, but it's something.

Tired of hitting escape, I've simply blocked javascript from running on www.baltimoresun.com. Seems to work just fine, and I haven't noticed anything else in terms of a diminished user experience... I spent 5 minutes trying to find the exact script that loads the popup, but gave up...

Tired of hitting escape, I've simply blocked javascript from running on www.baltimoresun.com. Seems to work just fine, and I haven't noticed anything else in terms of a diminished user experience... I spent 5 minutes trying to find the exact script that loads the popup, but gave up...

On one hand I feel like, "Ha! I win! I still get to access the Baltimore Sun's online content for free!" On the other hand, though, I feel cruddy about it as though someone at the Sun is chuckling to himself, "Hahaha...you're web traffic still counts!"

Then there's an entirely separate conflict for me: We have premium content here that is protected so that the guys writing it can get a few extra bucks. If I catch you circumnavigating that, you're going to get a nasty e-mail from me and you'll lose access to the site entirely. But isn't hitting the "ESC" button while surfing the Sun's site almost the same thing? I might not feel at all guilty about it if not for the small handful of decent writers (Kevin Van Valkenburg comes to mind) that DESERVE to get paid for what they write.

I guess the difference is that we're a few guys working part-time to keep this place going with one guy (Tony) sticking his neck out. The Baltimore Sun is an entity of a huge corporation that is struggling to stay profitable as the media industry (and especially how we access said media) evolves rapidly.

On one hand I feel like, "Ha! I win! I still get to access the Baltimore Sun's online content for free!" On the other hand, though, I feel cruddy about it as though someone at the Sun is chuckling to himself, "Hahaha...you're web traffic still counts!"

Then there's an entirely separate conflict for me: We have premium content here that is protected so that the guys writing it can get a few extra bucks. If I catch you circumnavigating that, you're going to get a nasty e-mail from me and you'll lose access to the site entirely. But isn't hitting the "ESC" button while surfing the Sun's site almost the same thing? I might not feel at all guilty about it if not for the small handful of decent writers (Kevin Van Valkenburg comes to mind) that DESERVE to get paid for what they write.

I guess the difference is that we're a few guys working part-time to keep this place going with one guy (Tony) sticking his neck out. The Baltimore Sun is an entity of a huge corporation that is struggling to stay profitable as the media industry (and especially how we access said media) evolves rapidly.

I've said it before, but I think this whole thing is just the Tribune "testing the waters." If they were serious about implementing a subscribers only model right off the bat, they would have put in a much stronger pay wall. They'll look at The Sun's numbers after a few months, determine whether or not they'd lose too many readers (i.e. not enough "clicks" to generate sufficient ad revenue) and go from there. If they think the subscription model will work, they'll roll it out with all their papers, and with a stronger pay wall. If not, they'll do like the big banks did on debit fees and back off.

The question is, where do they go if they can't make money with online subscriptions? I would think the next option is to seriously consider shuttering the print operation and going online only. I have to think shedding the infrastructure/operating costs of a daily print edition would cut expenses significantly. It's been done recently.....the Seattle Post-Intelligencer went online only in 2009, although that city still has the Seattle Post available in print.

As a software developer, I just consider it a stupidity tax. People can't steal Plus content from here, because we took 2 hours to implement a reasonable login system.

Also, if you have an iPhone, the paywall code doesn't work... At least not in Atomic...

I like to broadcast the way I get around it, because I feel if they are going to charge *that* much for access, they should at least implement a service that is fair and restricts content completely. And not a system that punishes only those that aren't PC savvy...