allstar1579

CAPS 1st half thread.

It's not really him. They didn't look bad in Edmonton, just fell victim to some really bad calls. They gave up some soft ones last night, but that was as much the goalies as the D. Green is ok defensively, but not great. I just know Collins was standing still watching the play a couple times last night. The problem is they need to limit how much he's on the ice and give his ice time to someone else, but they don't want to penalize whoever his partner is that way (Hamrlik/Schultz)

Missing Green does hurt, but you are right that the bigger problem is having to run Collins out there. Hopefully Erskine can get back into action soon as he would be a much better option than Collins.

Well Erskine made his return in the Caps come back win against the Ducks, nice win by the way and a great game from Backstrom who seems to have put last year behind him and is off to a much better start this year. We also saw the NHL debut of Cody Eakin as Halpern was a healthy scratch. Not sure when Green will be back, but no need to rush him right now, I'm more concerned with Neuvirth getting a few starts as it looks like Vokoun could use a breather. And for those looking for a little drama BB proved that his accountability rules goes for the whole team as Ovie wasn't on the ice at the end of the game when the Caps needed a goal to tie it up. Ovie definitely wasn't happy about this as a camera on the bench caught him calling BB a "fat truck" only he didn't use the word truck if you catch my drift. I'll just chalk this up to the heat of the moment and not be too concerned about it, but I will be interested to see how Ovechkin responds in the Caps next game.

Yeah, but you knew it had to happen at some point this season. Ovi had to be held accountable just like everyone else. I give BB a lot of credit for being brave enough to do it. Hopefully he has the maturity to realize that he hasn't been producing and you have to get someone out there that is. You have to wonder why he went from being a point and half per game guy to a point per game guy over 2 years now though.

Yeah, but you knew it had to happen at some point this season. Ovi had to be held accountable just like everyone else. I give BB a lot of credit for being brave enough to do it. Hopefully he has the maturity to realize that he hasn't been producing and you have to get someone out there that is. You have to wonder why he went from being a point and half per game guy to a point per game guy over 2 years now though.

A lot of people thought his bruising style of play would make his prime shorter. I hope that isn't the case here though.

A lot of people thought his bruising style of play would make his prime shorter. I hope that isn't the case here though.

I think part of it is he uses the same ol' moves he's used since his rookie year, and the league caught on to them a couple years back. The only time I ever see him score anymore is on that one-timer right in front of the goal when he drops to one knee. I have a feeling it's him letting up because he has so many other guys that can make plays, and he's not trying as hard as he used to, but I hope that's not the case.

LMAO Jeff Skinner was pretty angry! Carlson had a nice RIP FROM THE POINT! I love that kid. M90 with a sick pass to Troy Brouwer tape to tape. Backstrom is really using his body to create space and feed the puck to shooters. Gotta love our depth!

That Skinner reaction is pretty funny, but bout the crappy loss the the Islanders how many post shots we end up with???? had to be atleast 3.

I passed out in the 2nd sometime. (stupid muscle relaxers will knock you on your butt) But I caught the highlights this morning. Looked like a combo of bad luck and bad goaltending. Vokoun even said he gave up 3 soft goals, you give up a couple of those in one game and your offense kinda gets defeated, that's why you see more 5-1 games than 5-4 games in hockey. Sucks, but it's a long season.

Even Vokoun was talking about needing rest, I think I read something like he's never started more than 57 games in a season, but figuring out when he needs rest is something BB needs to figure out, it's a struggle for him because he is NOT a goaltending guy.

Bad game by Vokoun and it was the 2nd game in 2 days, those things are going to happen some time. If Neuvirth can play like he did against Carolina it shouldn't be too hard for BB to give Vokoun a breather once in a while.

Bad game by Vokoun and it was the 2nd game in 2 days, those things are going to happen some time. If Neuvirth can play like he did against Carolina it shouldn't be too hard for BB to give Vokoun a breather once in a while.

Neuvirth's inconsistency is what will make this so hard. Bad game from him tonight. Hopefully they can somehow muster 3 late goals, but looks like another loss in Canada.

So disappointed with this team. The goaltending has been piss poor in the games we score 1-2 goals and outstanding in the games we score 4-6 goals. While it seems we are unbeatable when Green is in the lineup that is becoming rare. He gets dinged up every time he steps on the ice.

Ovi is not the player he was 3-4 years ago. Yeah, the league has really clamped down on him, but his game and more specifically his moves with the puck are the same every game. He either trips over his own feet or loses the puck trying to get around the D-man.

I would say Backstrom and Johannson have been the two best players for us this year and Green would be in the conversation, but isn't around enough.

Sorry....rant over :(

You guys tricked me into thinking this team was good.

It's really tough watching them play lately. The stars really need to come through offensively. And like many of you have been saying we need a bit more consistency in net.

Ovechkin had a lot of opportunities for a shot on net and he decided to pass instead.......why? I mean granted he made some nice passes to set up Backstrom, but he is a shooter and a world-class goal scorer. Ovi you need to shoot!

Honestly this team feeds off his scoring and they certainly need more of that from our captain.