Tony-OH

After game thoughts: Ravens vs Texans

I have to say, this has really become one of the better threads on this site and I always look forward to the discussion each week. Lot's of great perspective by knowledgeable Ravens fans who aren't just throwing the usual bash the team reteric out there. Kudos to Tony for getting this started each week!

• Upvote 1

Joe isn't going to be in the elite class that just make it look easy. I mean basically you have Manning, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers who can do that. Obviously, even those guys have bad games or run into a defense that plays them well but for the most part those guys can just do almost anything they want. I do think Joe can elevate his game to the next tier on par with say Rivers. Rivers clearly isn't in the same class as the 4 guys listed above but he's high in the 2nd tier. When it comes strictly to skills of throwing he is elite. There is no doubt in my mind he has top 5 throwing skills. He can make all the throws and despite his low % is pretty accurate. The other thing I absolutely love about Joe is his size which allows him to see clearly over the line and rarely have balls tipped or batted down. You look at so many Qbs around the league who have balls tipped and potentially intercepted that Joe really doesn't have to worry about. Where he needs to improve is scrambling ability and progressing through reads post snap and presnap reads. The thing I'm pretty sure of is that a different OC can build an offense around Joe's skills better than Cameron so there is room for growth I'm just not expecting super elite territory like the top 4 listed.

Edited by ccbird

I have to say, this has really become one of the better threads on this site and I always look forward to the discussion each week. Lot's of great perspective by knowledgeable Ravens fans who aren't just throwing the usual bash the team reteric out there. Kudos to Tony for getting this started each week!

I've said it before and I'll say it again because the people here deserve props. Other than the game threads where people are so emotionally wrapped up in the game this site's posters are easily the most level headed, analytical and knowledgeable people on any local sports board on any sport. That includes the O's section here. Obviously, we all cross over and discuss O's stuff in that section but the O's talk is also cluttered with a lot of crap too.

Edited by ccbird

Joe isn't going to be in the elite class that just make it look easy. I mean basically you have Manning, Brady, Brees, and Rodgers who can do that. Obviously, even those guys have bad games or run into a defense that plays them well but for the most part those guys can just do almost anything they want. I do think Joe can elevate his game to the next tier on par with say Rivers. Rivers clearly isn't in the same class as the 4 guys listed above but he's high in the 2nd tier. When it comes strictly to skills of throwing he is elite. There is no doubt in my mind he has top 5 throwing skills. He can make all the throws and despite his low % is pretty accurate. The other thing I absolutely love about Joe is his size which allows him to see clearly over the line and rarely have balls tipped or batted down. You look at so many Qbs around the league who have balls tipped and potentially intercepted that Joe really doesn't have to worry about. Where he needs to improve is scrambling ability and progressing through reads post snap and presnap reads. The thing I'm pretty sure of is that a different OC can build an offense around Joe's skills better than Cameron so there is room for growth I'm just not expecting super elite territory like the top 4 listed.

I have to agree with this as well. I am fine with him getting to that 2nd tier of QB's that you mentioned and that tier is certainly capable of winning a SB. I am very satisfied with Joe and do believe that once Cam is gone, I think that will occur after this season, the new OC will be able to help Joe take that next step.

And finally, there are some HOF QB's whose games were pretty ugly but the results were there. Terry Bradshaw comes to mind.

I have to agree with this as well. I am fine with him getting to that 2nd tier of QB's that you mentioned and that tier is certainly capable of winning a SB. I am very satisfied with Joe and do believe that once Cam is gone, I think that will occur after this season, the new OC will be able to help Joe take that next step.

And finally, there are some HOF QB's whose games were pretty ugly but the results were there. Terry Bradshaw comes to mind.

Different era but yeah. Hell, there is nothing pretty about Roethlisberger but he finds a way to get the job done. In an era where consistently making the playoffs is tough to do Joe is well on his way to 4 in a row to start his career. Not too shabby.