NewMarketSean

Why were Ravens fans booing Derrick Mason?

What will be interesting is when Heap comes here in a couple weeks. I guarantee the fan base will yell HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAP at every opportunity they get, which will have the Baltimore sports radio phone lines lit up with "reasons" why the fans booed Mason and cheered Heap. Its unfortunate, but its the way it will be.

You know that card is going to be played.

To each his own but I don't see the need to boo Mason. Sure he shot his mouth off alot and developed a serious 'tude over the past couple of seasons but he was a gritty, tough ballplayer. You don't find those attributes very often in WRs IMO. Besides his "antics" come nowhere close to some of the real "problem children" in the NFL.

To each his own but I don't see the need to boo Mason. Sure he shot his mouth off alot and developed a serious 'tude over the past couple of seasons but he was a gritty, tough ballplayer. You don't find those attributes very often in WRs IMO. Besides his "antics" come nowhere close to some of the real "problem children" in the NFL.

Mike Mussina pitched his a$$ off for the Baltimore Orioles, would have signed here for market value had Angelos not jerked him around, and finally left for greener pastures because he couldn't take it anymore, and yet people still booed Moose. Its the way fans are...you leave us on your own, you get booed. I don't live by that philosophy, but many do.

Eh, it was kind of frustrating seeing him convert a couple of third and longs. I could see it as a heat of the moment type thing.

This.

Plus:

C'mon dude, a lot of them are out there boozing from 10am - kickoff. What do you expect?

This.

By the way, Mason is now tied with Monk for 11th in receptions all time and 3rd among active players (with Moss retired and Owens unemployed).

He was fighting/jawwing with Cary Williams and Kruger in the Jets game. I think that's why really.

I think this was part of it. And it's been reported that Mason was the guy who leaked to the media that the Jets WRs went to Rex to complain about Schottenheimer, even though he apparently wasn't one of them. Not that Ravens fans care about the Jets, but that sort of thing doesn't win you many friends anywhere.

Still, it bugged me to hear him being booed and I certainly wouldn't have. Watching the guy play the last couple games of that 2008 season, with the Ravens fighting for a playoff spot, with one bad arm should tell you what kind of player he was.

I didn't get it either and said so at the time loud enough for some morons in my section to hear it.

When the score was 14-13, people were yelling out, one after another, stuff that would make you think we are 1-4 with Scott Mitchell back there. I threw down a "LOUD NOISES" and that seemed to calm them down a bit. People are ridiculous at these games; its like they think its a free-zone to spew whatever idiotic impulse enters their brain.

You know that card is going to be played.

And it should be. Not saying that the difference in their demeanor doesn't also play a role, but Derrick Mason played through just as many injuries as Heap, played with just as much heart and contributed just as much to the Ravens in his time.

I disagree. If Heap had said some things like Mason said while he was here, or when he left, the fans would boo him too. Even though I dont like the booing, I dont think it has anything to do with race.

And it should be. Not saying that the difference in their demeanor doesn't also play a role, but Derrick Mason played through just as many injuries as Heap, played with just as much heart and contributed just as much to the Ravens in his time.

Eh, I disagree. Heap was a lifetime Raven. Drafted here, devoloped here, played 10 seasons. Mason was a hired gun, playing 6 seasons for the Ravens. Essentially, half of Heap's career here.

Not saying that Mason deserved to get booed on Sunday, but comparing Mason to Heap isn't a fair comparison at all.

Mike Mussina pitched his a$$ off for the Baltimore Orioles, would have signed here for market value had Angelos not jerked him around, and finally left for greener pastures because he couldn't take it anymore, and yet people still booed Moose. Its the way fans are...you leave us on your own, you get booed. I don't live by that philosophy, but many do.

Way different. Mu$$ina left so he could be another mercenary in New York's long line of mercenary's instead of staying with the Orioles where he could have laid down a legacy as one of the the organization's top pitchers ever. Whether Angelos "jerk him around" is debatable, but in the end, he choose to leave and not only left, he was the first player ever drafted, developed and played for the Orioles that signed with the Yankees as a free agent at the six-year mark. Mason was cut by the team and although he had a chance to come back at lesser money, he went with the Jets. Mussina is one of the only ex-Orioles I've ever boo'ed and I continue to dislike the guy to this day. He was the ace we've never been able to to replace all so he could be little richer then he would have been had he stayed.

It has a lot more to do with Mason's mouth and antics while he was here than anything else. I don't think there is much racism involved here. I certainly wouldn't have booed him but his act was wearing thin on a lot of fans and now he's playing on another team who's playing against us so I understand why some booed.

When Jamal Lewis came back to Baltimore in 2007, he was cheered all during the first quarter. This was after an average season in 2006 where many thought he wasn't in shape and he lashed out at fans for it.

I think there will be a contingent of fans where race will play a factor but I think Mason's attitude probably has more to do with it. That being said, I didn't like the booing on Sunday and I'm not a Derrick Mason fan.

I just don't get booing in general, especially your own players or former players. I'll basically only boo when I think a player isn't giving 100%. That's about the only think I can't stand is a lack of effort.