ScottieBaseball

Orioles Hangout Top Prospects: #19 - Bob McCrory - RHP

A mid-to-high 90's fastball will draw attention on any level in baseball. A high-90's heater that moves? That'll get a guy into the top-20 in nearly any organization. Right-handed reliever Bob McCrory checks in at #19 on our list. He's a candidate to fill the void left by injured closer Chris Ray in 2008, but first he'll have to prove he can command his breaking stuff a little better.

Click here to read the whole scoop on the Orioles Hangout #19 prospect. Enjoy!!!

Why would he be the early favorite to fill the void? Wouldnt that go to James Hoey.

Maybe people on the inside think that Hoey's mental make-up make him better suited for less stressful roles as he's seemed weak mentally.

Why would he be the early favorite to fill the void? Wouldnt that go to James Hoey.

I'm sure he'll be considered, but there's significant and justified concern over his nerves. Based on his Major League display thus far, would you really be comfortable at this point handing him the baseball in the ninth inning?

He's the early favorite to fill the void left by injured closer Chris Ray in 2008, but first he'll have to prove he can command his breaking stuff a little better.

Click here to read the whole scoop on the Orioles Hangout #19 prospect. Enjoy!!!

OMG, If Bob McCrory is our closer next year we will never hold a lead. I mean his nymbers weren't very good at AA. Here's my list of closer candidates.

1. Hoey (he's actually good)

2. F. Cabrera (I'm not sure if we still have him)

3. D-Cab

4. Walker/Bradford

20. McCrory

OMG, If Bob McCrory is our closer next year we will never hold a lead. I mean his nymbers weren't very good at AA. Here's my list of closer candidates.

3. D-Cab

4. Walker/Bradford

20. McCrory

We still have Fernando Cabrera. He is on our 40 man roster and is under the Orioles' control.

3. D-Cab

4. Walker/Bradford

20. McCrory

Wow...don't get too carried away...I said "early favorite" and that he still had something to prove. If someone gets the job currently within the organization, then if not McCrory then who? Obviously if someone comes in from the outside it would change things.

Also...I'm not sure Hoey's got the makeup of a closer.

Wow...don't get too carried away...I said "early favorite" and that he still had something to prove. If someone gets the job currently within the organization, then if not McCrory then who? Obviously if someone comes in from the outside it would change things.

Also...I'm not sure Hoey's got the makeup of a closer.

I just don't want some slightly above average, 26 year old AA pitcher closing games for us when there is clearly better options.

I guess it boils down to the fact that I really don't think McCrory is good at all. I could be wrong, and I'd love for him to prove me wrong, but right now I just don't see him becoming an effective ML pitcher.

I just don't want some slightly above average, 26 year old AA pitcher closing games for us when there is clearly better options.

I guess it boils down to the fact that I really don't think McCrory is good at all. I could be wrong, and I'd love for him to prove me wrong, but right now I just don't see him becoming an effective ML pitcher.

I understand and agree that there might be better options. I think we disagree on whether or not there are clearly better options. Hopefully Hoey puts his heebie-jeebies behind him and takes over.

Shoot! Jim Hoey shows erratic command in a ML trial and has the heebie jeebies. Bob McCrory shows erratic command in a AA trial and is a candidate for our next closer. Phew!

Link?

Signed,

Your Lazy Managing Editor

;)

Dang!

Mainly this one:

http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1083429#post1083429

But this was good also:

http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55181

And this one for tempering her affectation:

http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1087635#post1087635

Signed,

Retiree (in between jobs ;) )

• Upvote 1

Shoot! Jim Hoey shows erratic command in a ML trial and has the heebie jeebies. Bob McCrory shows erratic command in a AA trial and is a candidate for our next closer. Phew!

Hoey's been given more than "a ML trial". Yes, I see it as the heebie jeebies.

McCrory IS and SHOULD be a candidate for our next closer, as long as "candidate" means he'll be given the chance in Spring Training to win the job.

Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong, but I personally have concerns with Hoey's ability to carry over his minor league dominance to the big league level. He's a 25-year old reliever with a 1.81 WHIP at the big league level with a nearly 1:1 walk-to-strikeout ratio. Is that really someone you're ready to hand the ball to in the 9th inning? I'd prefer giving McCrory a shot in Spring Training.

My personal opinion is I'd be very surpised if McCrory is our closer next year. There is nothing wrong with taking a look at the guy, but I see him closing at Bowie next year to start the year.