SammyBirdland

The shaving thread

I used the Mach 3 for a long time but always had issues with razor burn and bumps and sometimes ingrown hairs. I switched maybe a year ago to a Trac II (two blade), which debuted over 10 years before I was born. The actual handle I have is made by BumpFighter, since Gillette no longer makes Trac II handles. I sometimes will switch in a BumpFighter cartridge, which is a single blade that has little ridges that keep the blade off your skin. It's not good if you want to shave fast but I find that even with my sensitive skin I can sometimes go across the grain with it if I take it slowly. Really if you have sensitive skin you should just completely forget about trying to shave in less than 10 minutes.

I would like to try another single blade razor, maybe a safety razor but haven't made a decision yet. The Trac II blades are much cheaper than the Mach 3s already but obviously the single blades would be even cheaper than that.

For me the extra blades do more harm than good. I still get burns every once in a while but the ingrowns are rare and they were the biggest problem.

Some stuff to try out for razor burn and bumps:

Alum, which is basically mineral salt formed into a stick or a block (the best brand in terms of convenience IMO is RazoRock)

Witch hazel or aftershaves that have it instead of alcohol - has the bacteria killing properties of alcohol but without drying out the skin as much

Tend Skin - kind of pricey but really worked well for me. There are recipes floating around the interwebs to make a homebrew, but basically the active ingredient is aspirin.

I use this, which helps a ton:

http://theshaveden.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=92

I thought it was no shave November. I am a human chia pet with sensitive skin. I shave at night with a razor and in the morning with an electric razor.

I go for the Mr. Clean look. A razor and a hot shower. Nothing else. No shaving cream for the face either. Do it all at once and have never broken out or bled. I'm a real man.

Edit: I should note that I use either the Schick Quattro or the Fusion. I remember when the Mach 3 first hit shelves and it was a wonderful product for a 13-14 year old just starting to shave but they dont hold up too well for me now. The only problem I have with the Quattro is the gooey stuff likes to leak out so I have to leave it upright. The Fusion goes dull VERY quickly and its hard to clean out, and with my shaving techinques it costs me a lot of money. I usually look for the one that's on sale and has a coupon with it.

Edited by Snutchy

After trying some samples my GF gave me, I've started using Anthony Logistics for Men shaving supplies. It's expensive, but I've noticed a marked difference in the amount of in-grown hairs and razor burn. I order the "Perfect Shave Kit" from Sephora for $50. It lasts me several months. For a razor I use a Schick Quattro.

The biggest benefit comes from the pre-shave oil I put on before the shave cream. Amazing stuff.

Edited by OrangeJerseys

I have the Fusion as well, but I never shave my face with a razor. I have the perpetual 5 o'clock shadow, and I simply trim my face with my bead trimmer without the guard. I recently shaved off my beard and just left a circle beard in its place. I also cut all of my hair off (just about) and generally went back in time 3 years.

I used to use the disposable Razors now I use the Fusion or a Mach 3, not sure which one I have right now but I've used both of them or something similar to that. It does seem like I cut my self less with the fusion than the disposables, but maybe I'm just a better shaver than I used to be. I hadn't heard that trick about sharpening the blades, I'll have to try that.

What do you guys use with the razor? Cream, gel, soap? Most of the time I just use soap and shave in the shower as I have a mirror in there to see what I'm doing. On occasion I'll use the cream and shave in the sink. I'll also pick up some beer soap from Clipper City when I get the chance and use that for shaving as well. A bar is 5 bucks but if you use it only for shaving it will last a while. Smells and works great!

Edited by DuffMan

I used to use the disposable Razors now I use the Fusion or a Mach 3, not sure which one I have right now but I've used both of them or something similar to that. It does seem like I cut my self less with the fusion than the disposables, but maybe I'm just a better shaver than I used to be. I hadn't heard that trick about sharpening the blades, I'll have to try that.

What do you guys use with the razor? Cream, gel, soap? Most of the time I just use soap and shave in the shower as I have a mirror in there to see what I'm doing. On occasion I'll use the cream and shave in the sink. I'll also pick up some beer soap from Clipper City when I get the chance and use that for shaving as well. A bar is 5 bucks but if you use it only for shaving it will last a while. Smells and works great!

I've heard gel clogs drains since it clings to the pipes. I use the shaving oil mentioned above. Not good for shower shaving, I suppose, but it's clear and no soap to get all over the place and cover the beard.

I use this:

Gillette_Fusion_Pro_Glide_Manual_Razor1306930112.jpg

along with this:

300.jpg

I never have any problems with razor burn or ingrown hairs. I swear by Aveeno, best shave gel I've ever used. I've also used the forearm trick to keep the blades sharp and it works like a charm.

gillette-mach-3-razor-size-single.jpg

This is what I use as well, but I typically shave...then grow scruff for 3 or 4 days, then shave....scruff. I rarely go more than a day with a smooth face.

Oh, and the goatee stays all the time.

That razor sharpening trick actually works, but I think it's because it removes the hairs between the blades. I don't know that it really sharpens the blades.

That razor sharpening trick actually works, but I think it's because it removes the hairs between the blades. I don't know that it really sharpens the blades.

I'm with you. I also think the combination of the heat generated by running it up your arm repeatedly along with the wiping motion also cleans all the gunky build-up off the blades.

Call me crazy, but I really shave my head and face in the shower at the same time with hot water only and no mirror. I go by feel.