Sign in to follow this  
Greg Pappas

Would you approve of a realignment of teams/conferences in the NFL?

There would no longer be an AFC and NFC... it would simply be one league: the NFL.

Divisions are realigned, based of the best possible geographical format. The playoffs are arranged as one league, so it's feasible that the Ravens could meet the Steelers in the Super Bowl, or the Packers could battle the Saints... not possible currently. Some rivalries would be eliminated, but new ones would be forged. Baltimore/Washington and Philly in the same division? Add Cam Newton and the Panthers and I'd be very happy with this. I love our rivalry with Pittsburgh, but am open to change.

Thoughts?

North East

Buffalo Bills

New England Patriots

New York Giants

New York Jets

East

Baltimore Ravens

Carolina Panthers

Philadelphia Eagles

Washington Redskins

South East

Atlanta Falcons

Jacksonville Jaguars

Miami Dolphins

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South

Dallas Cowboys

Houston Texans

New Orleans Saints

Tennessee Titans

Central

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Indianapolis Colts

Pittsburgh Steelers

North

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

Mid West

Denver Broncos

Kansas City Chiefs

St. Louis Rams

Arizona Cardinals

West

Oakland Raiders

San Diego Chargers

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks

Edited by Greg Pappas

Personally, I just see nothing wrong with the current format. Out of every league (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL), I think the NFL does it right when it comes to division/conference alignment, scheduling, and playoffs.

So how would you do the playoffs? Similar to NCAA 1-AA where you have multiple teams with first round byes? In other words, the top four teams get byes and the 5-12 seeds play to narrow the field to eight teams?

More importantly, how would you do the schedule? Right now it's as balanced as can be. Would you expand to 18 games and have teams play 4 additional conferences?

Why not simply dissolve the AFC/NFC but keep the division makeups the same?

Then you'd have just one league (the NFL), eight divisions, and all the rivalries would stay intact. The only 'work' that would be required would be that you'd have to rename the divisions.

Then you'd still be able to have a Ravens/Steelers or Redskins(LOL)/Cowboys Superbowl.

I guess the only wrinkle then would be how to re-balance the schedules.

Maybe, play 6 games in your division, 4 games against one other division that rotates, kinda like it is now.......and then six games against one team from the remaining divisions that finished in the same place as you last year?

BOOM - 16 game schedule.

Would teams go for that?

The only thing that is wrong is now is having every division winner get a home playoff game. 12-4 teams should not be going on the road to face 8-8 teams just cause that team won a crappy division. Reseed the playoffs based on record.

Here's an idea and I know people won't like it but whatever. 15 game schedule. You play everyone in your conference once. Top 6 teams make the playoffs based on record and AFC and NFC only meet in SUperbowl. Actually some problems since 15 games means an unequal amount of home and road games but whatever you can switch having one extra on the road and home every year. IMO, if the NFL ever expanded by 2 teams this would def be the way to go. Then you are back to your 16 game schedule with equal home and away games.

Nah. Once you're ditching some of the best rivalries in football, you're automatically causing a "valley" of profitability in a sport that's either at or pretty much near it's peak.

I see that most prefer to leave it be, but what about having just one league, rather than two conferences?

Why would that be better?

Why would that be better?

As I mentioned earlier, it would allow for any combination of teams to play against each other in the Super Bowl, and weed out weaker teams in the weaker "conference". Imagine-- Steelers v. Ravens in the big game. I love that idea.