Oldorioles

Pick your Surprise Breakout Candidate

I thought it might be interesting if people chimmed in on who a minor league player or two they thought would have a great year in 2012. To make it interesting, let's only pick from guys who were not included in the OH's top 30. Let's see if we can find any nuggets in the system...

I'll go on record for picking two guys:

Jamie Esquivel - His teammate, Eduardo Rodriguez, has gotten most of the headlines, but I'm certainlky intrigued by Esquivel. Now these are GCL stats, but they don;t get much better than this. His ERA was 1.03, his WHIP was 0.880. He stuck out a batter/IP, gave up a hit less than every two innings, and had a 2.5K:BB ratio. This begs for further attention.

Tyler Wilson - Wilson had a great year in college and continued at Aberdeen. He may be looked at as having limited upside, but all he does is put up great numbers and I think you continue to move him through the system until that stops. He started eight games at Aberdeen and had a 1.91 ERA. In 33 IP he only walked FIVE guys, while striking out 27. His WHIP was 0.727. I can't wait to see what he does in a full season league.

Edited by Oldorioles

RHP Sebastian Vader, LHP Ashur Tolliver and RHP Jose Nivar. I agree as well on Esquivel. I cheated a bit, but while there are a few others, these four top my list of being potential quality surprises.

• Upvote 1

Last year I think I picked Ronnie Welty based on a strong offseason in Australia. That didn't work out but it's not going to stop me from doing it again. I'll go with Brenden Webb to have a breakout year, most likely repeating Delmarva at age 22. My number two pick is Tyler Townsend, who manages to stay healthy and put up a big year in AA.

• Upvote 1

Don't laugh but I say Hobgood. BS said he was one of the players working with Brady this offseason. He has the talent, maybe with Brady come the physical ability to produce. So I go on record with him.

Don't laugh but I say Hobgood. BS said he was one of the players working with Brady this offseason. He has the talent, maybe with Brady come the physical ability to produce. So I go on record with him.

I'd be on board with this if I felt his arm was 100% sound. Last year there is the report of the rotator strain. He rehabbed it. His numbers last year suggested that his arm was still not healthy. I haven't heard of any surgery, so it looks like more rehab and rest. I hope it works but I'm not optimistic.

I'll take the injury guys. Ryan Berry is my first choice. I watched him several times at Rice and I think he will be a MLB releiver in the near future. Has that type of releivers strange personality. If heathy, I see him making leaps and bounds. I'll keep an eye on Hobgood too. I can't see any way he could fall from Gatoraid player of the year to the scrap heap unless he was injured. If healthy, I expect a big bounce. However, healthy is always a big IF

• Upvote 1

I will vote Trent Mummy followed by my personal sleeper Wynston Sawyer who I think will be moved off catcher to help his bat, and my way out their gut feeling pick that has no basis is reality is Dudley Leonara.

Several of the names mentioned in this thread would be on my list of hopefuls. I would add one more in Mike Ohlman. I think it is time he moves from behind the plate, and with that the bat is unlocked. He can, and should, be moved to one of the corner IF or OF spots.

• Upvote 1

I like the Hobgood pick. He has such a long way to go, but I feel like with the right conditioning and advice and guidance this offseason he can put together a solid year next year.