33rdst

Darren O'Day

The O's just avoided salary arbitration with him. You don't hear his name mentioned too often as BP candidate for this year. He put up some very solid numbers for Texas in '10 and '11. Looks like a big strong lefty out of the pen to me. Was he hurt last year?

The O's just avoided salary arbitration with him. You don't hear his name mentioned too often as BP candidate for this year. He put up some very solid numbers for Texas in '10 and '11. Looks like a big strong lefty out of the pen to me. Was he hurt last year?

Except that he's a righty who is a flyball pitcher who put up an amazing 26.9 FB/HR% last season. Let's hope he can get back to the guy he was in 2009-2010 or we just signed Jeremy Accardo for $1.3 million.

Except that he's a righty who is a flyball pitcher who put up an amazing 26.9 FB/HR% last season. Let's hope he can get back to the guy he was in 2009-2010 or we just signed Jeremy Accardo for $1.3 million.

Adair must think he can straighten him out...

Not sure that is a completely fair comparison but I get what you are saying.

Not sure that is a completely fair comparison but I get what you are saying.

Last year they were similar pitchers results wise, so hopefully O'Day is fixable or more healthy and can get back to the guy he was in 09-10. My only concern is that Texas gave him up for a bucket of balls so what do they know that we don't?

He only pitched 16 innings last year. Over the previous two years he pitched over 100 innings . That's why I wondered if he was hurt in '11.

Last year they were similar pitchers results wise, so hopefully O'Day is fixable or more healthy and can get back to the guy he was in 09-10. My only concern is that Texas gave him up for a bucket of balls so what do they know that we don't?

That they're short on balls?

Good info... I too hope they see something that can be better than it has been.

He only pitched 16 innings last year. Over the previous two years he pitched over 100 innings . That's why I wondered if he was hurt in '11.

He had a hip injury. I believe he had surgery. Sidearmer/submarine guy.

No, I get it... All I was saying is that he has had some success in the past, moreso than Accardo. For $1.3mm they must believe he can be a real contributor as opposed to organizational fodder (ie Accardo)

No, I get it... All I was saying is that he has had some success in the past, moreso than Accardo. For $1.3mm they must believe he can be a real contributor as opposed to organizational fodder (ie Accardo)

Not necessarily. They guaranteed Accardo a million dollars last year to be bullpen fodder. ;)

Hopefully Duquette is better at finding his bullpen arms than MacPhail was.

I am going to assume he is a lot closer to the pitcher he was in his first 164 major league innings (and his 145 minor league innings) than the pitcher he was in the 17 innings he threw last season. A 1.3 million dollar mistake would not exactly cripple the franchise and I expect him to be a solid 7th inning guy. He seems like a guy that is likely to be undervalued to to his unorthodox delivery even though he has had a great deal of success at every level in the majors and minors every season with the exception of his 17 MLB innings in 2011.

I saw him pitch in the opening homestand last season and was shocked that it was the same Darren O'Day that dominated the year before. It was obvious that he was playing hurt. If we get him into a nice routine with his hip, I think he'll have a bounce back season....Chad Bradford like.

He was a waiver claim, if I'm not mistaken. First acquisition of the offseason after MacPhail left and before Duquette was hired.

I think it was a great pickup, honestly. And yeah, he was injured last year.

All of his pitch values were down last year so let's hope the hip injury is something he can overcome. The Rangers don't apparently think so because you just don't dump a guy who was one of their best relievers the two previous seasons if they think he's going to bounce back. I think it's a pretty low-risk move so I have no problems with it, but it does make me wonder what the Rangers know that we didn't.