Birds of B'more

JoePa Near Death

Not trying to sound calloused in the slightest, but you had to have seen this coming ever since he lost his job. It's just like what happened with Bear Bryant.

That being said, who knows how credible this is.

There are gonna be a lot of people saying that football was all that kept him going. Actually...you can go to Twitter and see it. Sadly, cancer is a hard disease to combat, especially for somebody his age. I'm afraid that even if none of this happened, he still would be nearing the end of his life.

There are gonna be a lot of people saying that football was all that kept him going. Actually...you can go to Twitter and see it. Sadly, cancer is a hard disease to combat, especially for somebody his age. I'm afraid that even if none of this happened, he still would be nearing the end of his life.

Yeah, I'll be honest--I've been kind of Penn State'd out and haven't really been keeping up on his illness. I was aware he had cancer, but I was under the impression it was under control/not extremely serious. I see I'm wrong. You're correct in saying that this probably would have happened either way. No matter how you feel about him/PSU, it is a shame it had to end like this. Feel terrible for his family.

It's official, Joe has passed away.

RIP Joe, I will always appreciate everything you've done for this place.

There are still conflicting reports. Not sure if it's quite official. But you're closer to what's going on than I am.

EDIT: my bad, friend. Looks like it's over.

Edited by Sanfran327

There are still conflicting reports. Not sure if it's quite official. But you're closer to what's going on than I am.

That's my mistake...I probably should have provided some links:

Our sources can now confirm: Joseph Vincent Paterno has passed away tonight at the age of 85.
Football players received an email minutes ago informing them of Paterno's passing.

Source: https://twitter.com/#!/OnwardState

....and now a spokesperson has said that he hasn't passed. Ah...the Twitter age.

Really makes you question the integrity of the "media" now. The tweet just said that sources confirmed. Did the guy just flat out lie. Is he relying on sources that he knows aren't reliable.

CBS, among others are now saying that it is official.

RIP Joe Paterno. May the college football world remember you for your great career and not the truly disappointing way it ended.

Really makes you question the integrity of the "media" now. The tweet just said that sources confirmed. Did the guy just flat out lie. Is he relying on sources that he knows aren't reliable.

Well...here's what they said after the report was refuted:

A Paterno family spokesman has denied our initial report, which was corroborated by multiple sources. We're working on finding out more

This is about as official as it gets:

I appreciate the support & prayers. Joe is continuing to fight.

Well...here's what they said after the report was refuted:

This is about as official as it gets:

I'm glad that he's still fighting, but the "Twitter reporting" is so pathetic. No knock on you, I know you're just posting what you see.