Sign in to follow this  
The Rick

CAPS 2nd Half Thread

The Caps find their selves as the 3 seed at the half way mark with 55 points, and the tie breaker over Florida (who also has 55 points). The first 10 games of the 2nd half could go a long way in deciding the division as 6 of those games are against the Panthers (3 games), Lightning (2 games) and the Jets (1 game).

All I can say is that I hope Ovie and Backstrom come back well rested and ready to play great hockey, and I hope the Caps start the 2nd half like they started the 1st half. We have a real opportunity here to get some separation and make a run. I have a feeling we could peak at the right time for once with the right deadline moves.

The Caps find their selves as the 3 seed at the half way mark with 55 points, and the tie breaker over Florida (who also has 55 points). The first 10 games of the 2nd half could go a long way in deciding the division as 6 of those games are against the Panthers (3 games), Lightning (2 games) and the Jets (1 game).

All I can say is that I hope Ovie and Backstrom come back well rested and ready to play great hockey, and I hope the Caps start the 2nd half like they started the 1st half. We have a real opportunity here to get some separation and make a run. I have a feeling we could peak at the right time for once with the right deadline moves.

I wish I shared your general optimism about the team. Yes the Caps have the 3 seed at the moment, but that is a bit deceptive. As you mentioned they are currently tied with Florida with 55 points who sits in 7th place also with 55 points along with NJ in 8th at 55 points. Then you have Toronto in 9th also with 55 points but has played an extra game than the previously three mentioned teams. From there it's more of a drop off with Winnipeg at 50 points and having played two more games than us, but right now I would say there's a mix of 4 teams fighting for 3 spots.

Yes the Caps could move up in the Standings even if they don't win the division, but given their inconsistent play I don't think that's a given. They have a couple of lengthy road trips that could really determine where this team finishes up and the way they've been playing on the road I wouldn't rule out the possibility, however small, that they could miss the playoffs. (Did I actually type that!?!?). There's a brutal 5 game road swing in mid March that will have a big say in where they end up. The 5 games on that trip include March 13th at the Islanders, March 16th at Winnipeg, March 18th at Chicago, March 19th at Detriot and then at Phily on the 22nd. No layups in that 5 game stretch!

The big thing is getting Backstrom back, he's been our best player this year and we need him back to stabilize the top line. He finally skated on the ice for a few minutes the other day, but who knows if he will be ready after the break, if not then hopefully not much longer. I'm kind've annoyed with Hunter for flying him cross country and back right after the injury to the west coast when they didn't even play him.

Besides getting #19 back the other thing that has to be done is make a couple of moves before the deadline. We've been talking about it all year but GMGM needs to make a couple of moves no reason to keep Schultz if you aren't going to play him, I've also had enough of Sasha and would like to see him get dealt. Package the two if you can, but something needs to be done.

No worries. Do you remember last year in the middle of the losing streak when everyone was worried about not making the playoffs and I told you not to worry, we ended up being the #1 seed.

We will be ok, they just have some identity to find before then.

Two games, one point. Not good.

Even worse was these were divisional games. Ovie's suspension is done so that should help, but he's got to step his game up a notch or two. Still no timetable for Backstrom's return though, that's really hurting them. Time for GMGM to make a couple of moves.

I'm also not a fan of Hunters decision of bringing up Joel Rechlicz from Hershey just to play a combined 6 shifts for 5 minutes of ice time in the 2 games in Florida. This roster spot could be used more effectively with someone else.

Even worse was these were divisional games. Ovie's suspension is done so that should help, but he's got to step his game up a notch or two. Still no timetable for Backstrom's return though, that's really hurting them. Time for GMGM to make a couple of moves.

It's been that time for a while now. The problem is the only couple guys that could really make an impact are Staal, Carter, or Nash. TOR seems to be linked to all 3, but Staal is in our division, no way they trade him to us, Carter is way too expensive without knowing what kind of production you are going to get from him, and Nash isn't a Center (but would let you move Laich back to Center if you think he could be the answer on the 2nd line, I don't see him as an upgrade from MJ90 though, his passing has gotten really good this year.)

I think we're dead in the water unless a good move or three are made. As currently constructed, I still say we get in, but most likely with an 8 seed, and we'll be one and done. This may seem like an overreaction to the last 2 games, but this team just isn't scoring goals, and hasn't been for a while now. Something's gotta give, otherwise you reach a point in the season where you are who you are.

I think we're dead in the water unless a good move or three are made. As currently constructed, I still say we get in, but most likely with an 8 seed, and we'll be one and done. This may seem like an overreaction to the last 2 games, but this team just isn't scoring goals, and hasn't been for a while now. Something's gotta give, otherwise you reach a point in the season where you are who you are.

Can't write them off yet. Anything can happen once you get to the dance, just look at Montreal from 2 years ago. Clearly they would need to step up their game, but if they could get healthy for the playoffs they could still go on a run.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/post/mike-greens-recovery-is-on-the-right-path/2012/02/02/gIQAfNe6kQ_blog.html#pagebreak

Getting Green back would be a huge boost for this team, let's hope he can come back at the end of February as planned.

Can't write them off yet. Anything can happen once you get to the dance, just look at Montreal from 2 years ago. Clearly they would need to step up their game, but if they could get healthy for the playoffs they could still go on a run.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/post/mike-greens-recovery-is-on-the-right-path/2012/02/02/gIQAfNe6kQ_blog.html#pagebreak

Getting Green back would be a huge boost for this team, let's hope he can come back at the end of February as planned.

As long as they are hanging around in the hunt, I'd rather hold him out until both he and Backstrom are healthy. We need full strength more than we need one back and one out. They also need to start letting the offensive players worry about offense and defensive players handle the D. Too focused on limiting shots that they are getting outworked every game. Need to start playing aggressive and not just reactive.

As long as they are hanging around in the hunt, I'd rather hold him out until both he and Backstrom are healthy. We need full strength more than we need one back and one out. They also need to start letting the offensive players worry about offense and defensive players handle the D. Too focused on limiting shots that they are getting outworked every game. Need to start playing aggressive and not just reactive.

Have you heard anything at all about when Backstrom will be back. It seems like the Caps are being very hush-hush on his situation and my biggest fear is that he misses the rest of the season.

Have you heard anything at all about when Backstrom will be back. It seems like the Caps are being very hush-hush on his situation and my biggest fear is that he misses the rest of the season.

He hasn't been skating, he hasn't been at practice a couple times recently, and he hasn't been tweeting much so it's kinda hard to say. The few times I did see him tweet, he didn't seem like he was incoherent or anything, so I'm guessing if any after effects it's headaches (which sports want to assume are a side effect of someone being concussed, but it's not always true, this is a big problem in hockey right now.) I'm guessing they are going to take it easy with him and try to work him back in early March, just in time to work off some rust before the playoffs. I'm just guessing though.

When is this team going to make some moves? They just aren't a good team...but it seems like they should be. I guess I don't see what they are waiting for.

When is this team going to make some moves? They just aren't a good team...but it seems like they should be. I guess I don't see what they are waiting for.

I've been saying this for weeks. Now with Backstrom and Laich out we might be getting to the point of no return for this season.

The frustrating thing about this team is that they're just as talented as they've ever been, but they've been injured and extremely inconsistent so far this year. Winning an important divisional game 4-0 last night was nice, but it was right after they got blasted 4-1 against a real team in Boston.