Sign in to follow this  
The Rick

CAPS 2nd Half Thread

I've been still following the Caps and watching them sometimes, but I think this is the hardest team to watch EVER. I can't remember when I watched a whole game, something has to going on in the locker room or the coaching scheme is so out of whack. I hope we make a few moves before the deadline, I could see Schultz,Semin,Hamrlik getting dealt maybe even Vokoun if we fall out even farther in the next two weeks. If I was GM I would seriously consider blowing his team up in the off-season, something has been "wrong" with this team for a while.

This current team is dead. Either they make some drastic changes or waste the rest of the season. I don't even know what the problem is - but I can tell that this is NOT working.

This current team is dead. Either they make some drastic changes or waste the rest of the season. I don't even know what the problem is - but I can tell that this is NOT working.

As much as I hate to say it...Hunter isn't helping. He's picked favorites and non-favorites, which is ok, except that he's KILLING the trade value of his non-favs which isn't helping things. Now calling out Neuvy is his latest move, but what do you expect? You start the kid once in 2 weeks and expect him to have a shutout everytime?

Yea I personally wasn't a fan of the Hunter hire, I wonder if he will be back next season. Who are some big name coaches out on the market?????? I was thinking about it earlier here is my list of people I would keep and let go.

Traded-Knuble,Schultz,Chimera,Hamrlik,Semin,Vokoun

Keep-Backs,Ovie,MoJo,Carlson,Alzner,Orlov,Eakin,Holtby

Traded if we got a good deal-Brouwer,Ward,Wideman,Neuvy

Yea I personally wasn't a fan of the Hunter hire, I wonder if he will be back next season. Who are some big name coaches out on the market?????? I was thinking about it earlier here is my list of people I would keep and let go.

Traded-Knuble,Schultz,Chimera,Hamrlik,Semin,Vokoun

Keep-Backs,Ovie,MoJo,Carlson,Alzner,Orlov,Eakin,Holtby

Traded if we got a good deal-Brouwer,Ward,Wideman,Neuvy

I thought it was a good hire, but you never know until they have a chance to work if they will or not. I think it's shown that the problem lies in the players not in the coaches though.

Chimera I would absolutely keep, he is a grinder who plays EVERY shift and is having a career year, and one of the fastest guys in the NHL. Hamrlik was a bad signing on the surface, but I think he leads the NHL in blocked shots, which was exactly why we all wanted Hal Gill a year or two ago. Schultz and Knuble should have been packaged to ANA weeks ago, BB would be happy to have them back. Semin I've been very vocal about trying to move for 2 years, and Vokoun I think was a dumb move, and could be a big reason why the chemistry is so terrible on the team right now.

I wouldn't make Eakin untouchable, but I think Holtby is the answer in the end, he's much better than he's showing right now. Brouwer has been a great pickup, like Knuble in his prime, Wideman was a great move at the time, and will be a great compliment to Alzner and Carlson as offensive guys. Neuvy I think has never recovered from having the starting job ripped out of his hands right before training camp, but I think he's better than we've seen, and he's cheap.

Something definitely needs to happen, and I've been saying for months a guy like Nash would be worth the move.

Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of Chimera, but I think we could get a couple nice pieces for him. I like what Brouwer and Hamrlik have done but I don't think they fit what were trying to do here long term but who knows. Do you think the Caps would offer say Semin,Eakin,Schultz and a 1st for Nash ??? I would love this move. You also said Knuble and Schultz should of been sent to the Ducks weeks ago , real talks going on or just what u personally think???? thanks buddy

Don't get me wrong I am a big fan of Chimera, but I think we could get a couple nice pieces for him. I like what Brouwer and Hamrlik have done but I don't think they fit what were trying to do here long term but who knows. Do you think the Caps would offer say Semin,Eakin,Schultz and a 1st for Nash ??? I would love this move. You also said Knuble and Schultz should of been sent to the Ducks weeks ago , real talks going on or just what u personally think???? thanks buddy

I think Chims is underrated around the league and wouldn't get the return he should. Brouwer has had a nice scoring touch, hits everything that moves, and goes 100% every shift, he's exactly the kinda player we need to go with the young European guys. Hamrlik I'd love to not have to put in the lineup, but when I saw those blocked shot totals I kinda backed off, you can't score on a shot that doesn't get to the goal, it's single handedly what beat us against Montreal in the playoffs a couple years back.

I'd happily make that deal for Nash, BUT with Semin being a FA at the end of the year it loses a lot of value for them because they can't compete this year. A team just outside of the playoff hunt makes more sense for him, they try to get in and if it doesn't work, they aren't tied to a big contract.

Schultz would like to be dealt to ANA, but he's a trooper and will do what the team asks instead of demanding a trade. I think they might be too far out of the race to do them any good at this point though. They look to be doing the same thing WAS is doing, getting through this season without a huge demo and see what tweaking to do in the offseason.

Ugh, this team is a mess and yet GMGM does nothing. The possibility of missing the playoffs continues to grow. Was nice to see Green get back in the lineup, that's about it for good news lately with this team.

Ugh, this team is a mess and yet GMGM does nothing. The possibility of missing the playoffs continues to grow. Was nice to see Green get back in the lineup, that's about it for good news lately with this team.

Apparently they aren't doing anything out of fear of the cap...hey GM, you wouldn't have had to worry about that if you wouldn't have signed Vokoun and Ward like I said not to...

If Nicky goes LTIR, they'll have $7m to spend, but the big debate right now is can they stay in contention long enough for Nicky to come back without adding anyone or is he done for the year and you can use the money?

We got our a## handed to us against Carolina, I watched a whole 5 min of that game and I knew we were going to get smacked. Something has to change GMGM just can't do nothing, this is a joke. If we don't make atleast 2 trades before the deadline, to atleast show the fans they are trying to do something to make the playoffs I'm done watching them for the year. Let's go O's .lol

Just when you think the season couldn't get any worse...

Slava Malamud ‏ @SlavaMalamud

Sport-Express reports the ?preliminary diagnosis? on Kuznetsov is torn knee ligaments. ?Preliminary? means ?no MRI?s?, I assume #Caps

It appears that Kuznetsov (the caps top prospect) did some damage today to his knee. If the initial reports are correct (and lets hope not for his sake and the caps) he could miss part if not most of next season.

This is a season to forget.

Just when you think the season couldn't get any worse...

When it rains it pours.

A bit off topic but something I've been thinking about lately. I'd like to see Ovechkin give up the C. I think somebody like Laich is better deserving of being the Captain. Let Ovie worry about putting the puck in the net and not about trying to be a good leader.

When it rains it pours.

A bit off topic but something I've been thinking about lately. I'd like to see Ovechkin give up the C. I think somebody like Laich is better deserving of being the Captain. Let Ovie worry about putting the puck in the net and not about trying to be a good leader.

The C definitely had an immediate and noticable impact on his game. It was exciting for him to get the nod, but it's not working out so well so far.

We played well last night against MTL , and have looked really good so far against Toronto . If Neuvy plays like this down the stretch could be huge and you have to ride for as long as he's hot, he's made some incredible saves tonight. I still think we have to make a couple moves, and with Knuble and Hamrlik scratches the last few games I think we will see GMGM make some moves.