Sign in to follow this  
The Rick

CAPS 2nd Half Thread

Seems to me like the problem with this team, in my limited viewings, is Ovechkin. Its almost like he refuses to pass and tries to do it all himself. The 'effort' he made on the Kubina pass to set up the only goal was weak sauce.

He needs to become a better hockey player. Great scorer, mediocre (at best) hockey sense.

Seems to me like the problem with this team, in my limited viewings, is Ovechkin. Its almost like he refuses to pass and tries to do it all himself. The 'effort' he made on the Kubina pass to set up the only goal was weak sauce.

He needs to become a better hockey player. Great scorer, mediocre (at best) hockey sense.

I agree completely. He has about 3 moves that he uses over, and over, and over, and... The league knows it, and he hasn't adjusted. He's just not advancing his game at all, and he really seems like a shell of what he can be.

I agree completely. He has about 3 moves that he uses over, and over, and over, and... The league knows it, and he hasn't adjusted. He's just not advancing his game at all, and he really seems like a shell of what he can be.

Many analysts don't even think he's the best player on the team anymore. Most say it's Backstrom at this point.

Many analysts don't even think he's the best player on the team anymore. Most say it's Backstrom at this point.

He IS the best player, the question is will you get 100% from him every night or not? The term diva has been thrown around quietly, but the chemistry issues in the locker room aren't helping.

He IS the best player, the question is will you get 100% from him every night or not? The term diva has been thrown around quietly, but the chemistry issues in the locker room aren't helping.

Is it mostly Ward and Vokun, or is it beyond them? Would taking away his C really help things, or would that just make him sulk?

Is it mostly Ward and Vokun, or is it beyond them? Would taking away his C really help things, or would that just make him sulk?

I would take the C from him. Give it to Laich and let Ovechkin worry about scoring and getting his game back.

I know Vokoun is a problem, Ward I don't think is a problem as much as he's just not worth the money he's getting and some guys didn't really like that. It was a bad contract from the beginning. If they gave that to Brouwer I wouldn't complain, he's better and gives 100% every game, but Ward was redundant. They should have saved the $5.5M they spent on those two and put it towards Spezza last year like I wanted. OTT couldn't GIVE him away for a while there, and him on the 2nd line (or 1st now) would have been better.

I don't think he'd sulk IF he thought the new guy was worthy. It's hard promoting someone from ON the team already, you almost have to go outside and bring in a veteran he respects. Parise wouldn't be a bad idea if he were brought in as a replacement for Semin.

I know Vokoun is a problem, Ward I don't think is a problem as much as he's just not worth the money he's getting and some guys didn't really like that. It was a bad contract from the beginning. If they gave that to Brouwer I wouldn't complain, he's better and gives 100% every game, but Ward was redundant. They should have saved the $5.5M they spent on those two and put it towards Spezza last year like I wanted. OTT couldn't GIVE him away for a while there, and him on the 2nd line (or 1st now) would have been better.

I don't think he'd sulk IF he thought the new guy was worthy. It's hard promoting someone from ON the team already, you almost have to go outside and bring in a veteran he respects. Parise wouldn't be a bad idea if he were brought in as a replacement for Semin.

Man, I'm drooling over Parise these days. I don't know a lot about hockey outside of the Caps, but Parise was incredible for Team USA in the Olympics. Is there any chance of us signing him? Do the Caps have the space?

Man, I'm drooling over Parise these days. I don't know a lot about hockey outside of the Caps, but Parise was incredible for Team USA in the Olympics. Is there any chance of us signing him? Do the Caps have the space?

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/931448/Capitals_Salary_Cap_Numbers_11-12_Web.htm

If they don't resign Semin there's close to 7 million in space right there. Both Carlson and Green will be RFA's and need to be signed, I'm not sure what Green will cost but Carlson is certainly due for a raise.

GMGM gave out some pretty bad contracts last year too. Joel Ward for another 3yrs at 3million a year, ugh!

Like like Duff said, Semin makes so much that there is most of what you'd need right there. For me it's an upgrade Semin to Parise and not a tough decision, but Parise might get closer to $9m a year and we have some other guys to sign. That $3m for Ward is going to be a killer.

What's the deal with this guy Faulk for the 'Canes, he kills us. He only has 8 goals on the year , he has to have 3 or 4 against the Caps . Just when I think were making our run for the play-offs we have a week stretch like this.We have nobody that can step up in crunch time.

It was a nice come back win for us tonight, what we did in the third period we should be able to do whenever we want. A good game all around for the most part , Vokoun had some really nice saves. This guy Aucoin is really impressing me with the time he is getting, hopefully we see more of him. The next five game stretch with four on the road is critical but they all are at this point, it sucks were probly going to be with out Green for a couple games after the hit he laid on that guy tonight.

It was a nice come back win for us tonight, what we did in the third period we should be able to do whenever we want. A good game all around for the most part , Vokoun had some really nice saves. This guy Aucoin is really impressing me with the time he is getting, hopefully we see more of him. The next five game stretch with four on the road is critical but they all are at this point, it sucks were probly going to be with out Green for a couple games after the hit he laid on that guy tonight.

Aucoin is the guy that should have had Ward's spot and saved that terrible contract.

Aucoin is the guy that should have had Ward's spot and saved that terrible contract.

I move that from now on when referring to Ward that we call him Nylander 2.0

I move that from now on when referring to Ward that we call him Nylander 2.0

Very close. Imagine if they would have signed Vokoun to a 4 year deal too.