Tony-OH

The Protest

Perhaps, we should take out a 1 page ad and put it in the sports section of the Sun.

That is a great idea. Put the letter on this page.

We can start a collection on this site or set something up on another site to collect $10 donations for whatever the ad cost is.

My biggest problem with Angelos is this, and I doubt a letter will change him:

To be a good owner, one prerequisite is that you hire good baseball people who work within your financial constraints. In other words, if they work out a trade or want to make an offer, they shouldn't have to get your ok if the deal works within the stated budget. Let's say the 2007 budget is a $90 million payroll: If (1) Flanagan/Duquette can get Zito (just throwing his name out there) for $12 million per, (2) they think it's a good baseball decision and (3) it works within the set budget, the Angelos ok should at most be a prompt rubber stamp.

I can appreciate Angelos saying Roy Oswalt isn't worth $15 million a year, but he's wrong in the context of the modern market. Angelos says, "Well, he only plays 1 of 5 games." Sure, but Oswalt has a major impact on that one game, moreso than a regular position player. If your team is an otherwise .500 team but its top pitcher wins every time out, you suddenly improve to a .600 team. Anyone with an inkling of baseball knowledge knows that you need some proven stud pitchers if you're going to win. You cannot expect to assemble a bargain-baseball starting staff of five that will beat the Yankees and Red Sox. Ain't gonna happen, Pete.

Leave your baseball decisions to your baseball men. That means ALL baseball decisions.

Also, I don't think the letter should reference side issues like Baltimore on the jerseys, cheering at the stadium, stupid manufactured crowd noise sounds or Jon Miller. The letter should reference winning, and Orioles' fans desire to win. Winning solves all the problems, but we can't win if the good baseball people (Davey Johnson, Pat Gillick) are run off and their replacements aren't allowed to perform their jobs to the fullest.

I don't believe it for a second. Remember the interview he did with WJZ? (Watch the video). First question: "You know that you have been called the most hated baseball owner in all of major league baseball, I know you know that and I'm sure you don't like it." Angelos' response is to sarcastically feign ignorance and laugh off the premise.

I bet down deep, he's not laughing off anything. He's a proud man, and he probably should be, so you're not going to get some tear-filled plea for mercy.

I would think he's like anyone else who wants to be loved and respected. Yesterday was a huge ego lick to him, so what we're getting right now is anger and defiance.

Best post of the year right here. Belkast hit the nail right on the head.

I'm pretty convinced this is what's going to happen.

And this is maybe the worst post of the year. Sounds like you and Belky are saying that if PA doesn't spend money this offseason, that it's the fault of the protest. That is so out of touch.

I think they're just saying it would be typical PA to be so reactionary and stubborn...not dogging the protest itself.

OFF-TOPIC:

Eric, I can't respond to you unless you clear out space in your PM box.

I think they're just saying it would be typical PA to be so reactionary and stubborn...not dogging the protest itself.

OFF-TOPIC:

Eric, I can't respond to you unless you clear out space in your PM box.

Maybe Belky but Ravenbird was against the protest, and I'd guess that I'm right on target as far as his motives behind that post.

And this is maybe the worst post of the year. Sounds like you and Belky are saying that if PA doesn't spend money this offseason, that it's the fault of the protest. That is so out of touch.

I don't see it as "out of touch." PA could pocket the money to spite the fans to save his own ego, something that is probably natural for him to do anyway, see as he's done it the last nine years.

Maybe Belky but Ravenbird was against the protest, and I'd guess that I'm right on target as far as his motives behind that post.

Well that's just ridiculous if true.

I don't see it as "out of touch." PA could pocket the money to spite the fans to save his own ego, something that is probably natural for him to do anyway, see as he's done it the last nine years.

The out of touch part, would be to blame it on the protest. JMO