Sign in to follow this  
ChaosLex

Rosenthal: O's and A's are teams most interested in Manny Ramirez

I thought Buck likes a certain type of player. Manny is the complete opposite of that player. He hated Mel Hall on the Yankees because he would not pay attention on the bench or cheer for other players. I can"t believe Buck thinks Manny is Manny is the type of player Buck wants.

I thought Buck likes a certain type of player. Manny is the complete opposite of that player. He hated Mel Hall on the Yankees because he would not pay attention on the bench or cheer for other players. I can"t believe Buck thinks Manny is Manny is the type of player Buck wants.
Since we know Buck is the man behind the curtain, these Manny rumors obviously can't be true.

The only negative I can see to having Ramirez on the team is that he will not produce and will take away at-bats from Reimold or Davis or somebody like that. If the salary is low enough, though, I'm confident that the Orioles would cut ties with him if he was proving to be a problem. He will also have to deal with the 50-game suspension at the start of the season so we won't see him until June anyways, if he signs here.

I know that I am in the minority here, but I really don't think this would be a bad signing at all. Think about it. Any team that signs him does so for a very minimal investment, likely $1M or less. He has to serve his 50 game suspension (much of which, I believe he can do while playing MiLB), which gives you time for the roster to shake out.

The two main concerns about signing Manny would be:

1.) Can he still hit?

2.) Does he act like a jerk?

Finding out the answer to these two questions is, IMO, certainly worth a minimal investment, especially given the incentive he has to be on his best behavior. If he acts out or he can't hit, we can cut him immediately with little sunk cost. If it turns out he can still rake, we can flip him at the deadline.

The only negative I can see to having Ramirez on the team is that he will not produce and will take away at-bats from Reimold or Davis or somebody like that. If the salary is low enough, though, I'm confident that the Orioles would cut ties with him if he was proving to be a problem. He will also have to deal with the 50-game suspension at the start of the season so we won't see him until June anyways, if he signs here.
Why would he take AB from Reimold and Davis. He can't play LF any more and he doesn't play 1B. These two aren't going to be DH'ing all that much.

So, he can't play for 50 games, will take bats away from other guys we want to see, and will suck. But other than that he's good.

:laughlol:

The best case I can make to get Manny is that maybe he'll take ABs away from Betemit, thus making that 3rd year option less likely.

This semi-makes sense. I like it!

The only negative I see is the strong possibility that Manny is an unproductive circus sideshow that reinforces the belief that the Orioles are not only dumb, but also insane, while costing the franchise several $million that a decent organization would have used for something less ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

The only negative I see is the strong possibility that Manny is an unproductive circus sideshow that reinforces the belief that the Orioles are not only dumb, but also insane, while costing the franchise several $million that a decent organization would have used for something less ridiculous.

Tell us how you really feel, Drungo...don't hold back! ;)