Tony-OH

Ask Greg Bader: Opening a Dialogue with Orioles fans

I think it's worth recognizing that Orioles fans trust this site, in part because it is NOT directly controlled by the Orioles organization. I think you can look at Roy Firestone's contribution to this site and see how this isn't the normal decay-of-western-civilization message board. The Orioles' fan base is already neatly organized right here....talk to us. I say this because my immediate expectation is that the Orioles would like an online community that they can better control/manage. Objectively speaking, there isn't a lot of trust in anything the organization does. I say this because your best bet is to talk to your fans where they are, and not to try and lead them. If the hope is to lure fans away from this site to the mlb.com site by offering better access, it will be met very cynically.

I was never an Edward Bennett Williams fan. I was an Oriole fan. The fans just want a team that's worthy of their caring. I think we generally want ownership and management that is invisible. Your posting here is welcomed and I think it's necessary for management to start reaching out towards the fans. But don't try to manipulate us. Just begin a dialog where we are. Any outreach that is a veiled attack on this site will be pretty blatant and recognizable. What you have here is a vocal discontented group of fans. Trying to manipulate our online habits is a pretty pompous act if that what the Orioles are hoping to do. It's better to have a discontented fan than no fan at all. And there are a disturbing number of fans who have held on for so long in the face of failure who are one or two steps away from walking away for good.

Hope I'm over-analyzing your posts and your "plan". Just thought this would be worth considering before you finalize something that could further antagonize your patrons.

If you truly care about your fans, you'll support their site.

While you raise a valid point, let's see how their plan unfolds before offering criticism.

Thank you to all of the fans within the Orioles Hangout community for the feedback to date. We value your interest in the ballclub and appreciate you taking the time to express your thoughts and questions to us. We are finalizing a plan that will allow the Orioles organization to regularly communicate with the online community. Please stay tuned for more details.

Oddly, Mr Bader did not comment on where this communication will take place. I am guessing that will not be here. If I am wrong just chalk it up to the last 14 years.

I think it's worth recognizing that Orioles fans trust this site, in part because it is NOT directly controlled by the Orioles organization. I think you can look at Roy Firestone's contribution to this site and see how this isn't the normal decay-of-western-civilization message board. The Orioles' fan base is already neatly organized right here....talk to us. I say this because my immediate expectation is that the Orioles would like an online community that they can better control/manage. Objectively speaking, there isn't a lot of trust in anything the organization does. I say this because your best bet is to talk to your fans where they are, and not to try and lead them. If the hope is to lure fans away from this site to the mlb.com site by offering better access, it will be met very cynically.

I was never an Edward Bennett Williams fan. I was an Oriole fan. The fans just want a team that's worthy of their caring. I think we generally want ownership and management that is invisible. Your posting here is welcomed and I think it's necessary for management to start reaching out towards the fans. But don't try to manipulate us. Just begin a dialog where we are. Any outreach that is a veiled attack on this site will be pretty blatant and recognizable. What you have here is a vocal discontented group of fans. Trying to manipulate our online habits is a pretty pompous act if that what the Orioles are hoping to do. It's better to have a discontented fan than no fan at all. And there are a disturbing number of fans who have held on for so long in the face of failure who are one or two steps away from walking away for good.

Hope I'm over-analyzing your posts and your "plan". Just thought this would be worth considering before you finalize something that could further antagonize your patrons.

Or what he said!!!!!

Thank you to all of the fans within the Orioles Hangout community for the feedback to date. We value your interest in the ballclub and appreciate you taking the time to express your thoughts and questions to us. We are finalizing a plan that will allow the Orioles organization to regularly communicate with the online community. Please stay tuned for more details.

Cough "update" cough.

And the O's are going to be right in the face of the Yankee's, the WOW offer is coming, the checks in the mail, the moon is made of green cheese, etc. etc.

Maybe you could expand the MASN Ask Rick Dempsey segment.

• Upvote 1

The Orioles are under no obligation to support a private site. I think the issue is more that they didn't tell the site owner until the last minute that they weren't going to support it this year and they never could tell him what they were going to do for the site. Indecision and unprofessionalism.

If they are not supporting the site for legitimate business reasons you cannot fault them. If they are doing it to be vindictive than that is a problem.

Wow, I really am starting to think the Orioles and the Clippers are taking notes from each other.

Clippers ask superfan ‘Clipper Darrell’ to lose their name

Clipper Darrell, who wears a ridiculously awesome (or awesomely ridiculous) blue-and-red suit and once organized a fan demonstration to woo LeBron James to Staples Center, is quite possibly the loudest and most passionate superfan in the NBA. This year, with Chris Paul and Blake Griffin leading the team to legitimate championship contention, he's finally seeing results on the court.

Most teams, given this situation, would celebrate their good fortune with their biggest fans, and possibly even reward them for years of loyalty. However, the Clippers operate by different rules. And so, in a move that makes very little sense to any observers, they've asked Clipper Darrell to drop the team association from his name and stop doing interviews related to the franchise.

UPDATE: The Clippers, for their part, have released a statement claiming no wrongdoing — legal, moral, or otherwise. It is full of phrases like "No good deed goes unpunished" and "He is not actually a fan of the Clippers, but a fan of what he can make off the Clippers." Stay classy, guys.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/clippers-ask-superfan-clipper-darrell-lose-name-232144269.html

Wow, I really am starting to think the Orioles and the Clippers are taking notes from each other.

Clippers ask superfan ?Clipper Darrell? to lose their name

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/clippers-ask-superfan-clipper-darrell-lose-name-232144269.html

...but a fan of what he can make off the Clippers

Wow, Clipper Darrell is really bad at investments if his goal was to make money off the Clippers...

Clippers ask superfan ‘Clipper Darrell’ to lose their name

The Clippers were the Orioles before the Orioles were the Orioles.

The Orioles are under no obligation to support a private site. I think the issue is more that they didn't tell the site owner until the last minute that they weren't going to support it this year and they never could tell him what they were going to do for the site. Indecision and unprofessionalism.

If they are not supporting the site for legitimate business reasons you cannot fault them. If they are doing it to be vindictive than that is a problem.

Well of course they're under no obligation. But it takes an incredible amount of nerve to start playing games with the fan base at this point. Walk up fees. Pulling support for a large membership fan site. Oriole management continues to insult the lifetime of devotion I have given to their team. I'll fault them without mercy until they show they can behave like a competent ML franchise.

Mr. Bader,

Thank you for taking the time to take feedback from us here on this website. While many of us are critical of the Orioles, we welcome a healthy debate and furthermore, we welcome members of the Orioles front office with open arms to take part in any discussion that they see fit.

My question/feedback centers on community outreach and opportunities to meet the team. Let me first preface by saying I think the Orioles do a good job of getting out to the fans and creating positive experiences for the fans when they host events. I've been to many Fan Fests over the years, which always provide a great experience, and the meet the team day during the spring and other events at the park have been well received and well attended. Plus, periodically a player will appear at a local bank or fast food restaurant.

However, I recall a time when the Orioles would hold a spring fan fest at Farragut Square in Washington DC, back when there was a team store there and prior to the Nationals arriving. I can understand the rationale for not continuing this event due to disputes over right of the baseball markets, the closing of the team store, and the costs and logistics of getting the team out to such a place on a game day, etc. While some Orioles fans remain in Washington DC and Northern Virginia, the market has effectively been filled by the Nationals. Given that is the case, can the Orioles not look to rekindle events such as the spring fan fest at locations closer to Baltimore to engage and rebuild support amongst those in the Baltimore Metropolitan area?

Obviously there are costs, permits, and other factors that go into holding such an event. But, there are plenty of potential locations in which to hold such an event that the team could utilize. Patterson Park and Rash Field in Baltimore City, downtown Towson, one of the local malls such as White Marsh or Arundel Mills, and others would make excellent locations to bring back the spring Fan Fests and bring them out to the community. The team can and should also look into reaching back into markets that sit between Baltimore and DC, specifically Anne Arundel and Howard Counties. To that end, you could add Columbia Mall to the list as well.

The Orioles make a fair effort to engage and meet the fanbase that remains loyal to them. However, while Fan Fest in January is a great event, it is important to sustain the positive vibes fans feel from that event throughout the year, even if the team will not succeed. There are fans out there that want to root for the Orioles, but cannot afford to attend games or choose not to put forth the money to support what they feel is a losing product. It is imperative for the Orioles to get back to their real fans, and do so at a grassroots level. What once was a springtime event for fans in DC should be restored and brought back to the fans in the Orioles own backyard. They are out there, they just need to be reached.

Yours in Kind,

-Shane

I had my issues with the Orioles, mainly with their ignorant policies regarding handicapped seating ("If you're not in a wheelchair, you're not truly handicapped," honest-to-God exact quote), but all-in-all, I love my team no matter how bad they are or how poorly they're run.

Last year, I attended two games. This year, I hope to do the same. Distance and small children make it difficult to do more.

In reading all the discussions about recent occurrences and the back and forth between Tony and the Orioles, I've felt a sensation of deja vu. It didn't take long until I realized what it was. Tony's description of what happened, combined with Mr. Bader, read exactly like Jon Miller's description of his final days with the team.

One day, the Orioles will win again and everything that happens now will be forgiven, if not forgotten. Well, almost everything. I doubt my wife will ever willingly go to a game again unless it's a family commitment. It's hard to forgive an organization that insults its fans and then throws salt in the wounds when an apology is requested.

Stay classy, Orioles. If you can't put a quality team on the field, at least put that effort towards the fans you have that are willing to accept your product.