Tony-OH

Ask Greg Bader: Opening a Dialogue with Orioles fans

Greg,

Does the ownership or management care about winning or the bottom line? Because the product on the field for 14 years would say it is the bottom line.

Gregg,

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to speak directly with someone from the Orioles. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to hear our thoughts and concerns.

The one thing I would like to see is that Mr. Angelos became more visible. I'd like to see him at the ballpark more often and I'd like to hear his thoughts on the team. I know this could be difficult for him because he may be subjecting himself to criticism. But I think it's important for fans to know that he still cares deeply about the club and that he remains passionately committed to bringing winning baseball back to Baltimore. A few appearances a year on radio or TV to let fans know that he's in it with us and he suffers the same frustration and heartbreak we do would be great. It would go a long way to restoring faith in the clubs leadership. Thanks for listening.

Agree. I think you make an excellent point. It's something that I'd like to see happen.

So Greg, could you please pass this information on to Mr. Angelos?

*33rd...would rep you, but must spread it around.

Mr. Bader,

I am a teacher in this area, and I want to tell you that if you are indeed worried about the financial future of your franchise, the Orioles organization better get a lot more aggressive in pursuing wins and fans. By the time I was 13, I saw the Orioles win 100 games 4 times, have 5 Cy Young winners, 2 MVPs, 3 Rookie of the Year winners, 4 post season appearances, and a World Series title. I met my idol, Al Bumbry, at the Birdfeeder Restaurant at Memorial Stadium before a game. Not only did that man speak to me, but he sent me birthday presents, player autographs, and cards for years after that. Kids who are 13 today have seen 13 straight losing seasons and feel a disconnect with the organization. Inevitably, they view your entire franchise as a bunch of inept losers. REAL Oriole fans are deeply saddened by this fact and feel a true sense of loss for those kids. Sir, my students talk about the Ravens every morning in homeroom. During the season they ask to watch highlights and Ravens content on the big screen during homeroom. They LAUGH at my Orioles merchandise and NEVER ask to see anything Orioles related. They don't have the connection to this team that preceeding generations had, and you'd better start winning them over now, or it may be a generation lost to your franchise. I have a four year old son. I hope your start AGGRESSIVELY trying to win games and win back fans, so he can develop a love for the game and the Orioles organization the way I did. Losing and losing and losing, poor public relations moves, and uninspiring, seemingly passive, and less than creative front office management have made this organization hard to root for - even for those of us who love it and remember what it was. I hope you are listening, because if you were to walk through my school of 1,300 students, you'd see from what they aren't wearing, the task you have ahead of you. Adam

Edited by TheBee
  • Upvote 3

Agree. I think you make an excellent point. It's something that I'd like to see happen.

So Greg, could you please pass this information on to Mr. Angelos?

*33rd...would rep you, but must spread it around.

I'll get him.

Mr. Bader, in addition to my question from the other thread, I have an even more straight forward question.

First, some quick background. I am by NO means a Peter Angelos basher. In fact, for about 12 of the 14 years of losing I have defended the man. He represented my Grandfather in the asbestos cases, and thus Mr. Angelos has a special meaning to my family that far outweighs his ownership of the Baltimore Orioles.

That said. Mr. Angelos seems to be a very proud man. He has done so much good for the city of Baltimore. And yet, most people only think of him as the man who ruined the Orioles. My question is simple....Does Mr. Angelos even care about the perception that Orioles fans have of him, or is it all about the money?

Thanks for listening.

• Upvote 1

Gregg,

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to speak directly with someone from the Orioles. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to hear our thoughts and concerns.

The one thing I would like to see is that Mr. Angelos became more visible. I'd like to see him at the ballpark more often and I'd like to hear his thoughts on the team. I know this could be difficult for him because he may be subjecting himself to criticism. But I think it's important for fans to know that he still cares deeply about the club and that he remains passionately committed to bringing winning baseball back to Baltimore. A few appearances a year on radio or TV to let fans know that he's in it with us and he suffers the same frustration and heartbreak we do would be great. It would go a long way to restoring faith in the clubs leadership. Thanks for listening.

Fully agree, It feels to the fans he does not give a flying horsecrap about the team.

Greg, a statement, not a question. I used to use the advertisement for orioles tickets on this forum as my link to order my tickets One click and I was where I needed to be. Now if I choose to go to O's games this year, which I promise you will decrease dramatically as a direct result of this incident, I will either find free tickets from friends/family or go on stub hub.

If the convenience isn't there any longer, why should I pay more for my tickets?

The last two years, my fiancee and I attended 13 and 12 games respectively. Most of those tickets were purchased using the advertisement link.

I don't think your budget department realizes how important this site is to thousands of fans.

Orioles Hangout is the only website I constantly have open on my phone.

Every free minute I have, I devote to this site, so much that my fiancee kind of resents OH.

Even Orioles merchandising I purchase a lot of times, I find through this site.

Hell, I'll go as far as saying that if it weren't for this site and he great people on here, I already wouldn't care about the Orioles.

The Orioles need the Hangout as much as the Hangout needs the Orioles.

Its a symbiotic relationship.

Sometimes, someone has to be the bigger man, put hurt feelings aside, and for the greater good, make a real attempt to repair a broken bond.

Can the Orioles Organization show their last remaining fans that they are the bigger man? (I guess I did have a question afterall.)

People above you in your organization really need to read these threads to get a sense of what has been set into motion.

Edited by incubus
  • Upvote 3

Greg, a statement, not a question. I used to use the advertisement for orioles tickets on this forum as my link to order my tickets.!One click and I was where I needed to be. Now if I choose to go to O's games this year, which I promise you will decrease dramatically as a direct result of his incident, I will either find free tickets from friends/familiar go on stub hub.

If the convenience isn't there any longer, why should I pay more for my tickets?

The last two years, my Fianc?e and I attended 13 and 12 games respectively. Most of those tickets were purchased using the advertisement link.

I don't think your budget department realizes how important this site is to thousands of fans.

Every free minute I have, I devote to this site, so much that my fianc?e kind of resents OH.

Hell, I'll go as far as saying that if it weren't for this site and he great people on here, I already wouldn't care about the Orioles.

Sometimes, someone has to be the bigger man, put hurt feelings aside, and for the greater good, make a real attempt to repair a broken bond.

Can the Orioles Organization show their last remaining fans that they are the bigger man? (I guess I did have a question afterall.)

People above you in your organization really need to read these threads to get a sense of what has been set into motion.

Your thinking is flawed. They don't care.

This ought to be good. I am too heartbroken about my hometown team never allowing me, a 21 year old kid, never being able to see my favorite team have a winning team on the field to ask Greg a question without being bitter about it.

I'm also 21. The last time the Orioles were in the playoffs, I had just turned 7. I literally have almost no positive memories of the Orioles. After Cal, my favorite player growing up was Tejada, a steroid user and a liar who ran himself out of town. Mora became a primadona during the end of his tenure, Roberts is having his career tragically shortened by multiple concussions, and Markakis is in a seemingly endless, slow, early-career decline.

Since I don't really remember the playoff runs in the mid 90s the only time that the O's have ever been "good" was the first part of 2005 before their epic, steroid-tainted meltdown. I basically only follow the team out of loyalty and could never truly root for another team. I am from Maryland and literally have only two friends who are Orioles fans (!!) and they are halfhearted ones, at that. Most have jumped ship to the Nats, who seem to at least have some things breaking their way and have displayed a willingness to spend money.

My question then is: Excepting the apparently masochistic fans such as myself who could never stop following the team no matter how hard they try (and I have), how do the Orioles plan on re-engaging a younger population that has never considered them anything other than the doormat of the AL East? In my opinion, this is going to take more than a few seasons of relevance. My generation of fans have absolutely zero commitment to the Orioles and the next generation are being raised with the Nats as a viable alternative. Is there any sense of urgency at all in the warehouse?

I prefer they go for another rebuild to do it the "right way," but I wouldn't even complain if they employed a J-Trean "win now" plan. I just can't stand to see them sit by and live with the status quo. The status quo is failure. 14 years of it. Just do something different, take some risks. Barring incredibly idiotic overspending or trading away players for beans (Guthrie?), the Orioles can't be in worse shape than they already are.

• Upvote 1

Greg, a statement, not a question. I used to use the advertisement for orioles tickets on this forum as my link to order my tickets.!One click and I was where I needed to be. Now if I choose to go to O's games this year, which I promise you will decrease dramatically as a direct result of his incident, I will either find free tickets from friends/familiar go on stub hub.

The last two years, my Fianc?e and I attended 13 and 12 games respectively. Most of those tickets were purchased using the advertisement link.

Every free minute I have, I devote to this site, so much that my fianc?e kind of resents OH.

I really don't think the Orioles have any idea how much financial impact this decision has already had. Just even considering the folks who got brought along to Hangout Games that are not Oriole fans. The ads themselves were very easy to use and a daily reminder of the first place many thousand Oriole fans went first thing each morning and all throughout their workday.