Tony-OH

Ask Greg Bader: Opening a Dialogue with Orioles fans

All you are going to get are the politically correct answers.

Trust me, as someone who worked down there and basically got fired for stating an opinion(a correct one btw) on this board, greg isn't about to put himself in the same position.

On top of that, the Orioles have no use for anyone who will actually speak their mind and attempt to hold the team accountable.

PA is a person who rules out of fear, not respect. Not to say he isn't respected but everyone is so afraid to stand up to him because they feel they will get fired...at least that's how it was when I was down there and there is zero reason for me to think anything is different.

He may be willing to hear constructive criticism but only so much.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

Trust me, as someone who worked down there and basically got fired for stating an opinion(a correct one btw) on this board, greg isn't about to put himself in the same position.

On top of that, the Orioles have use for anyone who will actually speak their mind and attempt to hold the team accountable.

PA is a person who rules out of fear, not respect. Not to say he isn't respected but everyone is so afraid to stand up to him because they feel they will get fired...at least that's how it was when I was down there and there is zero reason for me to think anything is different.

I don't think many of us are expecting actual answers. I was just getting the question out there

Here is another one for Mr Bader.

Word is that the Nationals are going to renegotiate their contract with MASN in regards to broadcast fees. If the Nationals get an increase in said fees will the Orioles get a corresponding increase in the fees paid to them?

On top of that, the Orioles have use for anyone who will actually speak their mind and attempt to hold the team accountable.

Did you act the same way at the Warehouse as you do on this forum? ;)

• Upvote 2

On top of that, the Orioles have NO use for anyone who will actually speak their mind and attempt to hold the team accountable.

I don't think many of us are expecting actual answers. I was just getting the question out there

Word is that the Nationals are going to renegotiate their contract with MASN in regards to broadcast fees. If the Nationals get an increase in said fees will the Orioles get a corresponding increase in the fees paid to them?

Yeah it's more about expressing displeasure with the team than actually looking for answers, we all know we aren't going to get a real honest answer.

Looks like the organization just freed up $550k from Kim, so it appears that you now have all the funding you need to properly fund and show your remaining fans the appreciation they deserve.

You are looking at the last bastion of fans this team has, and while I agree that the state of the Orioles is not your problem, this is going to be a PR nightmare for you to isolate your FEW remaining fans.

More proof to me that this team just never gets it anymore. Oh well, I guess we have to wait for new ownership to exchange hands

Yeah it's more about expressing displeasure with the team than actually looking for answers, we all know we aren't going to get a real honest answer.

I hope he actually posts in this thread with answers to some of the questions, even if the answers are ones that would be approved above him in the corporate structure. Mr. Bader is a director. That is not lunch lady land.

• Upvote 1

http://www.slate.com/blogs/breakingviews/2012/02/15/corporate_friendships_a_philosophical_overview.html

...corporate drama probably can’t be escaped - at least not as long as the fortunes of companies change at a rate unmatchable by human psychology... Aristotle noted that friendship is “most necessary” for existence - and unequal friendship is better than none at all. That goes for companies as much as people.

Greg,

Though it is true the Orioles cannot outspend Boston and New York, neither can Tampa Bay or Toronto, both of which are expertly run organizations who remain competitive in the toughest division in baseball. The Orioles, despite having greater resources than at least Tampa Bay, is quite probably on the verge of it's 15th losing season. Bad luck does not explain that sort of losing streak, incompetence does.

The Baltimore Orioles, by nearly all accounts, expert and inexpert, do not have the talent or organizational depth to compete in the division within the next few years. Assuming the goal of the front office is to field a competitive team (which, in the light of this past decade, is probably naive on my part), the organization must choose between two paths: either augment the current core of players with major free agent acquisitions, such as Fielder or Cespedes or Darvish or Jackson; or, more realistically, the Orioles must trade from its current core to acquire a larger pool of talent. That means players like Adam Jones and Jim Johnson.

My question, Greg, is this: When will the Orioles acknowledge their current course (riding the fence) will only bring ongoing mediocrity? When will they finally make the hard decisions required to improve the long term prospects of the club?

I don't care about winning .500 in 2012. In the AL East, .500 may as well be .300. I don't want to win "most improved ball-club," - how cute - I want to win pennants and championships.

And I'd like to add a follow-up question if I may Mr.Bader. If the Orioles do get said increase from MASN, will Mr.Angelos actually invest it in the ballclub to give fans an on field product worth coming to see?

Gregg,

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to speak directly with someone from the Orioles. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to hear our thoughts and concerns.

The one thing I would like to see is that Mr. Angelos became more visible. I'd like to see him at the ballpark more often and I'd like to hear his thoughts on the team. I know this could be difficult for him because he may be subjecting himself to criticism. But I think it's important for fans to know that he still cares deeply about the club and that he remains passionately committed to bringing winning baseball back to Baltimore. A few appearances a year on radio or TV to let fans know that he's in it with us and he suffers the same frustration and heartbreak we do would be great. It would go a long way to restoring faith in the clubs leadership. Thanks for listening.

No offense, but I don't care to hear from Peter Angelos. Everyone knows the empty quotes by now; "we want to be right on the heels of the Yankees and the Red Sox ... or right in their faces," and "I know you have heard that tune before, but this time it will literally come true." Spare me the platitudes about our commitment to winning for the fans. Put away the violin when singing the sad tale of how hard it is for everyone (not named the Tampa Bay Rays) to compete in this division. The Orioles are not innocent victims of circumstance. In the words of Michael Corleone, "don't tell me that you're innocent. Because it insults my intelligence and it makes me very angry." There has been one constant in the last fifteen years, and the buck stops at the desk of one Peter G. Angelos.

If Angelos were to open up, I'd like a full disclosure of how much profit MASN makes and why it hasn't been the boost to payroll that Angelos once promoted it to be.

Finally, I'd like to know where to send the bill for the new bullcrap detector that I'm going to have to buy because the old one was worn out.

No offense, but I don't care to hear from Peter Angelos. Everyone knows the empty quotes by now; "we want to be right on the heels of the Yankees and the Red Sox ... or right in their faces," and "I know you have heard that tune before, but this time it will literally come true." Spare me the platitudes about our commitment to winning for the fans. Put away the violin when singing the sad tale of how hard it is for everyone (not named the Tampa Bay Rays) to compete in this division. The Orioles are not innocent victims of circumstance. In the words of Michael Corleone, "don't tell me that you're innocent. Because it insults my intelligence and it makes me very angry." There has been one constant in the last fifteen years, and the buck stops at the desk of one Peter G. Angelos.

If Angelos were to open up, I'd like a full disclosure of how much profit MASN makes and why it hasn't been the boost to payroll that Angelos once promoted it to be.

Finally, I'd like to know where to send the bill for the new bullcrap detector that I'm going to have to buy because the old one was worn out.

But I want to hear about how much money he has lent the O's over the years...

But I want to hear about how much money he has lent the O's over the years...

And what the rate of return on those loans are.

Seriously, those things are none of my business. What is my business is that the players that he hires play hard every single day. Every Single day. If they don't, I expect him to take the business loss necessary to produce a viable product.