TakebackOPACY

Foods I miss

I miss the sweet potato-derived foods that were a part of life on the Lower Shore...especially the sweet potato biscuits.

PM me if you want. I've got a half dozen frozen from the ladies auxiliary in Hebron. I will send them to you.

• Upvote 1

One thing I really miss..The Greenwood (Delaware) Fire Department does Barbecued Chicken in the Summer. Some of you might know this being from the area or travelling to the beach, but its just great. Half Chicken, perfectly done, chips and a soda.

I live in the area. I got the recipe directly from a brother FF in that company.

2 cups CIDER vinegar

1 cup VEGTABLE oil

1 egg BEATEN

3 tablespoons salt

1 tablespoon poultry seasoning

1-2 tablespoons of black pepper. Depends on how much you like.

Mix all the ingredients except the egg. You need to beat the egg and then slowly whisk it in so the vinegar doesnt cook the egg.

Separate mixture in half and marinate your chicken for atleast 4 hours. Overnight is better. The other half you will use as a baste/mop sauce during cooking.

You must use apple cider vinegar in this or it just wont turn out right.

**NOTE If you are going to use hot coals to cook, which is preferred, use the vegatable oil. If you choose to use gas, use Canola Oil. Canola oil has a highger smoke point and will burn the chikcen easier over hot coals.

I also like to use a dask of cayenne pepper for a little heat but thats totally your call.

This is the 100% legit recipe and you are welcome. ;)

Edited by Snutchy
  • Upvote 1

McNulty, thanks for the rep dude, but sorry my iPhone didn't quote Mike's post properly. The sweet potato biscuit recipe is on lock down. I havent been able to touch it. I will try again for you. Feel free to neg rep me on the next bad Moose's Mom joke.

The Gino's Giant....what a fine hamburger those were. And Faygo's sodas....seemed like there were a million different flavors.

I've seen the Faygo sodas at Sheetz. If you feel like going to Joppa you can probably find them there. There's one at the intersection of eastbound 40 and Joppa Road.

In fact, on Wednesday, I'm going to be making some Greenwood FD chicken and a Dijon-White wine vinegarette potato salad with shalllots and rosemary. This gentlemen, is why my wife married me and why I am the fire house chef.

The Gino's Giant....what a fine hamburger those were. And Faygo's sodas....seemed like there were a million different flavors.

Did you know there's going to be a Gino's at Camden Yards this year?

http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/region/baltimore_city/iconic-burger-joint-ginos-will-have-a-place-at-oriole-park-at-camden-yards-beginning-in-2012

Edited by Nigel Tufnel
  • Upvote 1

That they were. What was that other sandwich...Hero??... the kind of oblong one...ate a bunch of those babies!!!!

I've seen the Faygo sodas at Sheetz. If you feel like going to Joppa you can probably find them there. There's one at the intersection of eastbound 40 and Joppa Road.

Yeah I've seen that place.....Thanks Don.

That they were. What was that other sandwich...Hero??... the kind of oblong one...ate a bunch of those babies!!!!

I remember those oblong sandwiches but can't recall the name. I asked Mrs. Madman and she said "Gino's had another sandwich other than the Giant". Cracked me up......