Sports Guy

ACCT thread

I'm sure many of you knew this but I didn't...

Maryland's victory in 2004 is the only time that someone other than Duke or UNC have won the tourney since 1997!!!

That is crazy. Wake Forest won in 1996 led by Tim Duncan.

Quite a show of dominance from the big 2 over the last decade plus. Time for the rest of the league to pick up their game, hopefully with MD leading the charge. NC State looks to be heading in the right direction. The main programs that need to get going are Wake and Georgia Tech, IMO. I realize they both have new coaches but those programs should be better.

Expansion really has hurt this league, and it really shows with the crowd on this first day..Granted, teams like Wake & BC are just atrocious which lead to two blowouts this afternoon, but back in the day, the ACC tourney was always packed.

But will the expansion of adding Pitt and Cuse help it? Bringing in 2 very good teams(at least normally).

On Day 1, you didn't have Duke and UNC playing...that is a big factor.

I want to go one year though...it is always a great tourney.

Yes, the ACC has really become an unbalanced league. Even though I'm a Duke fan, I vastly preferred it when every team in the league was highly competitive.

That said, I'll be watching tonight and the rest of the weekend.

I'm sure many of you knew this but I didn't...

Maryland's victory in 2004 is the only time that someone other than Duke or UNC have won the tourney since 1997!!!

That is crazy. Wake Forest won in 1996 led by Tim Duncan.

Quite a show of dominance from the big 2 over the last decade plus. Time for the rest of the league to pick up their game, hopefully with MD leading the charge. NC State looks to be heading in the right direction. The main programs that need to get going are Wake and Georgia Tech, IMO. I realize they both have new coaches but those programs should be better.

Think about this...Since 1999, there have been 13 ACCT played.

Duke has won 10 of those 13. They had a stretch of 5 in a row, 2 in a row and now 3 in a row.

That's absurd to win that many ACCT in that time period.

Think about this...Since 1999, there have been 13 ACCT played.

Duke has won 10 of those 13. They had a stretch of 5 in a row, 2 in a row and now 3 in a row.

That's absurd to win that many ACCT in that time period.

No doubt, it has been an impressive run for Duke.

Though like I say, it really has been a down period for the league. Some of these other programs need to get their butts in gear.

No doubt, it has been an impressive run for Duke.

Though like I say, it really has been a down period for the league. Some of these other programs need to get their butts in gear.

I think its heading in that direction.

I said for years that I felt a big reason that MD was so good is because Gary was better than most of the coaches in the league.

For a long time, I felt the coaching in the ACC was poor...speaking in general here.

Well, I think its getting better.

Couple that with teams getting new facilities(UVA and NC St recently, GT next year) and now new teams coming into the conference that have good BBall programs and I think that the conference is going to get a lot better.

There are 6 or 7 ACC schools in the top 25 recruiting classes for next year...and one of those schools is NOT Duke, at least not yet(they are in on some big time, unsigned recruits right now).

You also see some of the bottom feeders like Wake and BC that are very young and have good long term upside.

I think its heading in that direction.

I said for years that I felt a big reason that MD was so good is because Gary was better than most of the coaches in the league.

For a long time, I felt the coaching in the ACC was poor...speaking in general here.

Well, I think its getting better.

Couple that with teams getting new facilities(UVA and NC St recently, GT next year) and now new teams coming into the conference that have good BBall programs and I think that the conference is going to get a lot better.

There are 6 or 7 ACC schools in the top 25 recruiting classes for next year...and one of those schools is NOT Duke, at least not yet(they are in on some big time, unsigned recruits right now).

You also see some of the bottom feeders like Wake and BC that are very young and have good long term upside.

I think this is the only reason to be excited about the future of the ACC. There are just so many middling teams. The conference really needs someone like GT, Wake or MD to step back up. JMO, but I don't see UVA or NCSU really improving much on what they already are. FSU is solid, but how long will that last.

I'm probably a little more down that most, b/c I'm a Wake fan and they don't have much of a bright future at all.

I think this is the only reason to be excited about the future of the ACC. There are just so many middling teams. The conference really needs someone like GT, Wake or MD to step back up. JMO, but I don't see UVA or NCSU really improving much on what they already are. FSU is solid, but how long will that last.

I'm probably a little more down that most, b/c I'm a Wake fan and they don't have much of a bright future at all.

Nc State has a top recruiting class coming in. If Leslie stays, they are going to be very good next year.

Nc State has a top recruiting class coming in. If Leslie stays, they are going to be very good next year.

Yeah, after I wrote that I went to Rivals website and saw all the guys they have coming in. Hopefully for them, that is sustainable. I'm not exactly sold on Gottfried for the long haul though.

I was very pleased with Duke's win against VT last night. The big men avoided any hint of foul trouble, Hairston played a pretty good game taking up some of Kelly's usual minutes, and Duke took it inside on a day where the three-pointers weren't falling. They played a really good defensive game and made VT take a lot of off-balanced, rushed shots. The game was pretty close, but Duke seemed to have it in control the entire second half.

Big test today against the big men of FSU.

I was very pleased with Duke's win against VT last night. The big men avoided any hint of foul trouble, Hairston played a pretty good game taking up some of Kelly's usual minutes, and Duke took it inside on a day where the three-pointers weren't falling. They played a really good defensive game and made VT take a lot of off-balanced, rushed shots. The game was pretty close, but Duke seemed to have it in control the entire second half.

Big test today against the big men of FSU.

Today's game is a game where you miss Kelly.

Hopefully Duke can find a way to beat them because if they do, they may get a #1 seed regardless of what happens tomorrow.

c

Duke and North Carolina have their work cut out for them in today's ACC semi-final games with Florida State and North Carolina State, respectively. They'll each need to play sound, fundamental basketball against these 2 stubborn teams to set up a re-match of last season's ACC Championship Game, in which Duke manhandled the Tar Heels. In that game, the Blue Devils took a 14-point lead at halftime before coasting to a decisive, 17-point victory to claim the crown.