Sign in to follow this  
PrivateO

VCU, George Mason, Butler in discussions to join A10

VCU to the A10 for 2013.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... y/19042989

I'd argue VCU and Butler are better than the departing A10 schools (Temple and Charlotte).

Honestly, as much as I'd love to see the Catholic League if the Big East splits, right now, I'm pretty content with the A10. If only we could just rid ourselves of LaSalle and Fordham...

I'm pretty excited about this move for VCU! It's a definite step up in conference, level of competition, and exposure.

I'm pretty excited about this move for VCU! It's a definite step up in conference, level of competition, and exposure.

Every fan of A10 teams is ecstatic about this move. Outside of the Big Six, the A10 is the premier basketball conference. Like this year, I think it could rival some of those conferences (Pac 12).

I heard a rumor that once the A10 knew Charlotte was leaving, they basically decided to only take one of GMU or VCU. VCU was the choice, and they took it. I can't imagine Old Dominion wants to stay in the CAA; I think they announce their intentions to join the CUSA in a month or so.

This whole scenario is like a soap opera. I wonder what happened?

Mason president, the current one made the decision to stay in the CAA. I can't get into all the details but it's foolish. Merten is an idiot. That's all I have to say. I sent PrivateO a pm weeks ago about the president decision but I'm not into being an "insider" etc. and getting someone into trouble.

Merten has CAA pride and doesn’t care about athletics. Now everyone is gone, good riddance to you Merten.

Some rumors going around that VCU is trying to get into the A10 for this upcoming season. Remember that when Richmond left the CAA for the A10, they ware banned from the CAA conference tournament.

Not sure how this would work, because Temple/Charlotte don't leave until after the season. I guess you could go 15 teams in the conference but that's a tough schedule to figure out.

Some rumors going around that VCU is trying to get into the A10 for this upcoming season. Remember that when Richmond left the CAA for the A10, they ware banned from the CAA conference tournament.

Not sure how this would work, because Temple/Charlotte don't leave until after the season. I guess you could go 15 teams in the conference but that's a tough schedule to figure out.

Yep, the CAA by laws forbid any lame duck team from participating in the CAA Tourney, unless overruled by the Presidents of the raining universities vote to allow them in. So next years tournament will be without VCU, Georgia State, possibly ODU, and UNCW and Towson are both ineligible due to academic issues.

Yep, the CAA by laws forbid any lame duck team from participating in the CAA Tourney, unless overruled by the Presidents of the raining universities vote to allow them in. So next years tournament will be without VCU, Georgia State, possibly ODU, and UNCW and Towson are both ineligible due to academic issues.

Just idiotic....the CAA might have a 7 team tournament.

Anyway, VCU having a presser at 1:30 to announce they're joining THIS year. In all likelihood, the A10 will have 15 teams (unless Temple/Charlotte can leave early), where each team will play 2 teams twice and everyone else once.

ODU will be announcing their decision to join CUSA for 2013 today at 2:30.

I wonder who Yeager is planning to invite to fill these voids?

I wonder who Yeager is planning to invite to fill these voids?

If I had to guess, some combo of Boston U, Coastal Carolina, Davidson, Charleston, or another America East school.

If I had to guess, some combo of Boston U, Coastal Carolina, Davidson, Charleston, or another America East school.

That makes sense.