The Rick

1st RD - Caps vs. Bruins

Nice read. Not enough credit given to our Caps, IMO. I have not seen the calculation, but I imagine when Green and Backstrom have been healthy that the Caps have a points per game that would be in the top four of the conference. This team did start 7-0 and waxed Philly and Detroit before Green went down and things picked up nicely at the end of the season when Backstrom returned.

The Caps beat an excellent team and played it pretty even during the series. IMO, we beat the best team in the conference.

I have suffered through too many playoff disappointments to get too excited now, but it feels good to be among the last 8.

If the Caps and Holtby maintain this level of play, I like our chances.

I thought Holtby was solid in the series, but average last night (and fairly lucky).

Hey, I'll take 1 kinda fluke goal allowed (he shoulda fell on it, not swatted it) against the best offense in the NHL as a 22 year old rookie any day of the week.

Who is everyone hoping we have in the second round?

I'm kind of hoping for the Rangers.

Was thinking the same thing after we stomped them in the reg. season finale, but FLA would be a good intrigue matchup too.

Was thinking the same thing after we stomped them in the reg. season finale, but FLA would be a good intrigue matchup too.

What scenario would we play FLA?

What scenario would we play FLA?

We can't. If NY wins, we play them, if FLA is in it and NY loses, they play OTT.

That's just the matchup I would have wanted. Aside from PHI, no one else really bothers me though.

NHL always plays highest vs. lowest seeds up to the conference championships. So,

If NYR wins tonight, we face NYR.

If OTT wins tonight, and NJD wins tonight, we face NJD.

If OTT wins tonight, and FLA wins tonight, we face PHI.

I feel pretty confident against either the Rangers or the Devils, but I really don't want to face the Flyers before we have to.

Also, I love Holtby, but one other thing: is there a goalie in existence who has worse rebound control? That one goal wasn't fluky. He didn't protect the rebound, and then a Bruin, albeit beating 3 Caps, poked it in. This Caps defense was FANTASTIC at rebound control, but Holtby needs to get on board - and if he does, he'll be fantastic.

NHL always plays highest vs. lowest seeds up to the conference championships. So,

I feel pretty confident against either the Rangers or the Devils, but I really don't want to face the Flyers before we have to.

Also, I love Holtby, but one other thing: is there a goalie in existence who has worse rebound control? That one goal wasn't fluky. He didn't protect the rebound, and then a Bruin, albeit beating 3 Caps, poked it in. This Caps defense was FANTASTIC at rebound control, but Holtby needs to get on board - and if he does, he'll be fantastic.

It wasn't a rebound, it beat him, but it was slowed down enough to make a play on and he just made the wrong play.

You are right though, his weakness is that he gives up some juicy rebounds. He's good with his glove hand usually, but anything in his chest or legs are risky. I think that's a youth thing though.

It wasn't a rebound, it beat him, but it was slowed down enough to make a play on and he just made the wrong play.

You are right though, his weakness is that he gives up some juicy rebounds. He's good with his glove hand usually, but anything in his chest or legs are risky. I think that's a youth thing though.

He has been giving up some juicy rebounds, but you gotta give credit to the Caps D as well. They have done a great job of clearing the rebounds out of there as well as keeping the crease relatively clear of traffic.

Congrats to the Caps. I'm hoping my Flyers won't have to face Holtby anytime soon. Watched him play in Hershey when I had season tickets at the Giant Center, met the guy a few times, nice kid, great talent.

Hey, I'll take 1 kinda fluke goal allowed (he shoulda fell on it, not swatted it) against the best offense in the NHL as a 22 year old rookie any day of the week.

Win is a win -- nothing wrong with being lucky, that's for sure.

Ayup. Agree.

I don't disagree, but he already is fantastic - if he got better in the rebound aspect, he'd be even more fantastic. The kid is fun as hell to watch, but IMO, his best asset (his stick work/aggressiveness) is also his biggest liability. He gets out of position at times.