OFFNY

ORIOLES vs. YANKEES 4/10

Wait - one bit of good news. I stopped watching the game on TV after the Yankees put the leadoff man on second in the 12th inning (or whatever it was).

I now have a new plan, and it's a good one. From now on when we're playing the Wankers, unless we're going into the 8th inning with at least a five-run lead, I am going to automatically turn off the game on TV, and follow it on the OH. Yes, it's still painful - but at least here we can share the misery, like at a funeral. And I even got some good laughs along the way - like at a funeral. And one final note: screw Tim Welke and the horse he rode in on.

Can anyone give a legit reason why we stood and stared at so many strikes today?? I think I know the game of baseball somewhat well, but what the FU*K was that all about? Someone please? I'm serious...

The only thing I can think of is maybe they were told to work the pitchers more just like the MFY always do. No excuse though. That was painful to watch.

In a nutshell, this game is why the Orioles suck. Terrible defense and situational hitting with a mix of terrible umpiring against us.

Good night everyone.

You start wondering - is there a type of person that simply wins? And have we, as an organization, failed to identify enough of these types of people? Have we assembled a team of talented losers? Guys who just don't have the mental and/or physical makeup to exert their will at critical moments of a game, and impose their will on the other team? I'm going to say yes, until I see otherwise. We do have talent - but we lack the guts, the killer instinct.

I'm all out of descriptive terms for the bag of crap the Orioles hitters and fielders put on tonight, but at the end of the day, this is why we've sucked for 14 straight years and why we'll suck for a 15th straight. Losers find ways to lose ball games and winners find ways to win games like this.

I hate the Yankees, but they are winners. They understand situational hitting. They field well and when the chips are down, they find a way to capitalize on a dumb pitch selection. The Orioles on the other hand may have a set a record for most watched strikes in the history of baseball, Nick Markakis comes up with a poor throw by not using simple fundamentals on catching and throwing from the outfield, and Reynolds, is well, Reynolds.

Maybe tonight's game was enough to prove to Duquette that Reynolds is not a major league third baseman. Probably not but he either needs to DH or move to first base because he clearly is not a third baseman.

I hate the Yankees, but they are winners. They understand situational hitting. They field well and when the chips are down, they find a way to capitalize on a dumb pitch selection. The Orioles on the other hand may have a set a record for most watched strikes in the history of baseball, Nick Markakis comes up with a poor throw by not using simple fundamentals on catching and throwing from the outfield, and Reynolds, is well, Reynolds.

Maybe tonight's game was enough to prove to Duquette that Reynolds is not a major league third baseman. Probably not but he either needs to DH or move to first base because he clearly is not a third baseman.

You put into words exactly what I think about the O's. I couldn't quite articulate it, but you said it perfectly.

Not that we didn't have plenty of chances to win that game but man Rivera gets so many backdoor cutters that miss off the plate called strikes. Pitches 5 and 9 were the two called strikes outs on Chavez and Markakis.

numlocation.php-pitchSel=121250&game=gid_2012_04_10_nyamlb_balmlb_1&batterX=0&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=3.gif

Thanks for posting - what a mess. Three strikes called out of the zone - way out. One called on the borderline. Zero balls called on borderline pitches. This umpire should be disciplined in some way. They should literally dock their pay for each missed call - or something. There needs to be some recourse for these lame umpiring jobs.

• Upvote 1

Still hate the pitch selection to Ibanez, I like Strop but that was poor, no reason to throw that pitch.

That's on Wieters. Strop is not going to shake off Wieters. I love Wieters but he made a mistake and help cost us the ballgame. Ibanez was -8.3 wFB last year. He has a slider speed bat at this stage of his career and that;s what Wieters gave him. With the amount of movement Strop's fastball had, and as late as Ibanez was on the pitch, clearly it was the goto pitch. Wieters just made a mistake, it happens.

That's on Wieters. Strop is not going to shake off Wieters. I love Wieters but he made a mistake and help cost us the ballgame. Ibanez was -8.3 wFB last year. He has a slider speed bat at this stage of his career and that;s what Wieters gave him. With the amount of movement Strop's fastball had, and as late as Ibanez was on the pitch, clearly it was the goto pitch. Wieters just made a mistake, it happens.

You are right, another big play was Reimold not getting to third in the 9th.