Dustin Pedroia - 2B

David Ortiz - DH

Adrian Gonzalez - RF

Kevin Youkilis - 1B

Will Middlebrooks - 3B

Jarrod Saltalamacchia - C

Daniel Nava - LF

Marlon Byrd - CF

Nick Cafardo was just on MLB network talking about the pitching match up tonight. He quoted Ortiz as saying Matusz is one of the nastiest guys he faces and he's back to being that guy this year. Always nice to hear.

Nick Cafardo was just on MLB network talking about the pitching match up tonight. He quoted Ortiz as saying Matusz is one of the nastiest guys he faces and he's back to being that guy this year. Always nice to hear.

In 2010 I think that Ortiz went 0 for the season against Matusz with a ton of K's.

Well to Ortiz yes he's nasty.

Lefties vs Matusz are hitting .143 with a 9 K/9

Tonight's lineup career vs Matusz

Mike Aviles 0-1 1 K

Dustin Pedroia 2-7 1 K

David Ortiz 1-10 8 K's

Adrian Gonzalez 3/3 2 BB's

Kevin Youkilis 2/7 2 BB's

Will Middlebrooks 0-0

Jarrod Saltalamacchia 0-3 1 K

Daniel Nava 0-1 1 BB

Marlon Byrd 1-2 2 RBI

So overall not much success vs Matusz in the lineup tonight.

Well to Ortiz yes he's nasty.

Lefties vs Matusz are hitting .143 with a 9 K/9

Yeah Ortiz was the one that questioned if Matusz was ok last season because he was different than normal. Lefties with good offspeed stuff give Ortiz fits, and BMat has his number.

BRIAN MATUSZ

IP:. 6.33

H:o 2

R:O 1

BB: 1

SO: 9

Pitches: 101 (67 Strikes, 34 Balls) *

2012 ERA: 4.86

BRIAN BY INNINGS

6 * Matusz recorded 1 out in the 7th inning before departing.

Brian has made 9 starts this year. Skipping over the first 3, here are his last 6...

Inn     H      ER      BB       K       D5/22	Bos	6.1	2	1	1	9	? 5/17	@KC	6.0	7	3	1	2	W5/12	TB	5.2	7	2	1	5	W5/7	Tex	5.0	10	7	2	4	L5/1	@NYY	6.1	6	1	1	4	W4/26	Tor	6.0	4	0	2	3	ND

Other than the Texas start... he's been looking like his old self again. That BB column is my favorite part...

With the 6 1/3 innings tonight, that gives him 50 IP on the year. That surpasses the 49 2/3 from last year. His ERA last season was 2.2-times higher than it is right now. He has the same number of strikeouts, five fewer walks...along with 23 fewer hits and only five homers compared to 18 in 2011.

• Upvote 1

With the 6 1/3 innings tonight, that gives him 50 IP on the year. That surpasses the 49 2/3 from last year. His ERA last season was 2.2-times higher than it is right now. He has the same number of strikeouts, five fewer walks...along with 23 fewer hits and only five homers compared to 18 in 2011.

Amazing turn around. He is a completely different pitcher than what he was last year.

When we realize to temper expectations, and that things take time to adjust, we will realize that Matusz really could be what we though he might be at the end of 2010. There will still be growing pains, and he will adjust, but I think he could be really really good. That said, this was one outing and he did well.