CA-ORIOLE

Derek Jeter - 4,000 hits

Rose was also a player/manager that had free reign to insert himself in the lineup on a daily basis without regard to ability.

Yea, I was going to say he does have a chance if he's allowed to write his own name into the lineup when he's a 45-year-old first baseman OPSing .680. Pete Rose really did spend the last five years of his career as a more-or-less regular 1B with an 86 OPS+.

I'm not at all convinced Jeter has resurrected his productive career. He's 38 and the last two years he was a below-average hitter. Ten games doesn't do much to change that.

With ARoid close to certain HR records if Jeter got anywhere near 4000 they would have to change ESPN to YESPN and it would be insufferable. I might have to buy some single edge razor blades and slit my wrists.

And he was a selfish jerk who was WILLING to hurt the team to get his hits :P

Whatever we want to say about Jeter, there's no evidence he has that particular personality flaw.

Now that is funny!!! :laughlol: :laughlol: :laughlol: :laughlol: :laughlol:

Any guy that sends a chic home after a one night stand and has a gift basket in the waiting car for her and it has an autographed baseball from him - is all about himself!

Jeter is all about himself - its so obvious.

Now that is funny!!! :laughlol: :laughlol: :laughlol: :laughlol: :laughlol:

Any guy that sends a chic home after a one night stand and has a gift basket in the waiting car for her and it has an autographed baseball from him - is all about himself!

Jeter is all about himself - its so obvious.

C'mon now. If you had to put up with a night of him accidentally calling you Alex, you'd want a free autograph, too.

C'mon now. If you had to put up with a night of him accidentally calling you Alex, you'd want a free autograph, too.

Ha Ha. In all honesty I wouldn't want his autograph even if it was free - under any circumstances. Nor AFraud's either.

As a long time admirer of Jeter, I think it would be awesome.

However, as a realistic human being, I don't think it's feasible.

• Upvote 1

However, as a realistic human being, I don't think it's feasible.

Whatever commie;)

• Upvote 1

As a long time un-admirer of Jeter I think it would be awesome if he got 4000 hits, but only by using his status and celebrity to force his way into the lineup for many, many years as a pathetic shell of the player he used to be and many millions of kids only remember him as a .220-hitting DH selfishly driving towards a record and taking the Yankees down with him.

As a long time un-admirer of Jeter I think it would be awesome if he got 4000 hits, but only by using his status and celebrity to force his way into the lineup for many, many years as a pathetic shell of the player he used to be and many millions of kids only remember him as a .220-hitting DH selfishly driving towards a record and taking the Yankees down with him.

That's why it's unrealistic, Jon. I don't see him doing any of those things you mentioned.

Surprised a Baseball historian such as yourself would have such negative feelings about a guy who's had a pretty damn good career.

That's why it's unrealistic, Jon. I don't see him doing any of those things you mentioned.

Surprised a Baseball historian such as yourself would have such negative feelings about a guy who's had a pretty damn good career.

In 20 years I may just remember Jeter as a guy I used to dislike but just approach without much emotion, much like Reggie and Goose Gossage. But I don't like any current Yankees, and I will never wish them success. Nothing would make me happier than Jeter having an absolutely terrible last few years of his career, and taking the Yanks down with him.

• Upvote 1

In 20 years I may just remember Jeter as a guy I used to dislike but just approach without much emotion, much like Reggie and Goose Gossage. But I don't like any current Yankees, and I will never wish them success. Nothing would make me happier than Jeter having an absolutely terrible last few years of his career, and taking the Yanks down with him.

I'd be willing to bet that will be the case. Guys that were jerks like A Rod & Clemens, we'll all probably always have negative feelings, but Jeter I think history will judge him much like it does Cal Jr.

I've just always liked Jeter, not that I root for him, per se, I just think it's hard not to respect the guy. But yeah, I'm all for the team going down, and going down hard. Sign me up!