mweb

Getting attacked and not given the opportunity to respond

I posted this over there, but figured I might as well bring it over here too.

was not recruited by Chris or anybody else to post on this board. There were no PMs exchanged encouraging me to check out this forum, or anything of the sort. I am a fairly unknown poster over at OH, and at most of the message boards that I have frequented over the years. I will post info occasionally, but I am a lurker in most regards.

I believe I saw SG mention the BSL site, so I decided to look into it. I saw a few quality posters from OH (some that I hadn't seen post in a while - like Mackus), so I figured I would sign up. I knew it was nothing more than another outlet to read up on the Orioles, and chime in every once-in-a-while.

That being said, I've enjoyed my time here thus far and have even started ramping up my posting habits recently (especially in the live game threads). I continue to look forward to read everybody's posts and their insight and beliefs about the O's. That will not change. I'm glad that I've started to integrate myself into this community, as there are some quality posters here.

As I said, I was never recruited by Stoner or anybody else to post on that board. I chose to register (and post occasionally), to read the boards over there, as another outlet for orioles news and information.

I'm sorry if you have viewed this as disloyal to the OH in any way, shape, or form. It certainly was not my intention to do so. I've been a longtime member and lurker (before the '08 join date), and have always come here first for Orioles information, because of the quality of the posters here. There are too many people to name whom I've had the pleasure of reading constantly for the past number of years.

You didn't break any rules, so you would have no reason to be banned. I do appreciate your financial support for the site over the years. We just have a different view on how you should support your "friends" or at least the people who you supposedly respect. Just like in politics, we don't have to always agree, but I have an expectation of longtime members to have some loyalty and to respect this community. I expect that they should feel pretty weird about a guy who used to part of my staff, PMing you through the Hangout's PM system about a competing board. I would not expect that you would then defend him vigorously on my board as if that wasn't running salt in the wound. Obviously you don't feel anything was wrong with how this went down, I disagree. I understand why Scottie was angry, because I know how things went down between the two. Stoner sent me something on facebook that said what he put on his site about this and it had several outright lies in it. Whatever, I'm not going to get in a tit-for-tat thing with him because I don't need to. If people want to be part of a community run by a guy like that with SG as a moderator, more power to them.

I prefer to have people in this community who want to be part of this community and who feel loyal to it because they are part of something special. If some people don't feel that way it's fine, and if they want to post in both, go right ahead, but we'll know who the true Hangouters are and who the people who just post here are.

Eitehr way, I will apologize for asking you to leave. You've been here for 8 years so even though I disagree with your take on this and several other "battles" involving the site, you are welcome to have any opinion you like.

First off, thanks for the reply and the apology.

Secondly, I clearly did say I feel there was something wrong with how it went down. It's just not an offence where I'm going to join in on bashing a guy far and beyond just that matter or agree with others who are doing so.

Lastly, I am fine with being someone who just posts here. I haven't made much of an effort to become that ingrained in the community (partially due to where I have lived) and I haven't always felt totally welcomed into it. So I don't really take it as an insult that I'm not a true Hangouter because I post elsewhere and don't always side with the Hangout regardless of the circumstances.

I don't have any regrets about what I posted. He can say he felt terrible about shilling for his message board through PM's on this one all he wants. The fact is that he did it, it's shady, and I think it's a more transparent indicator of what kind of guy he really is based on my experience with him. That's not to say I'm perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm certainly not above admitting when I'm wrong or when I've been unecessarily offensive. I think my track record here is indicative of that.

So yeah...no regrets on my part.

Bashing him for the PM's is one thing, what you did is another thing. You have personal issues with him that likely prohibits you from seeing that distinction.

In regards to the whole OH-BSL drama, I'm not really going to fully defend one side or another because I want to remain an active member of both boards. If it's the owners' prerogatives to bash one another, so be it. I'm not going to get in their way because everyone has a right to do it. I think both message boards can coexist and people should not be looked down upon because they are active members of both sites. I think a lot of people would agree with me that both sides have made some mistakes throughout the ordeal, but for most of us, I'm guessing we just want to move on.

Somebody sent me the link to the thread on Stoner's site. So just in case people were wondering what I meant by a lack of loyalty, here you go.

Pedro Cerano:

"As for me posting here, I think if more of the OH regulars migrated over here then this would be come my new home. As it stands now, at any given time, there are 3-4 members browsing this board whereas at OH you're generally in the hundreds. More discussion over there still."

And yes, I realize that I'm being a part of the problem and not the solution."

So basically he's only here until things pick up over there. that's nice to know how much you enjoy the community here. Pedro has told me numerous times how much our community means to him, yet he's just waiting for things to pick up.

Allstar1579

"Yep this is pretty much where I'm at too. I still check in here a couple times a day, but just waiting for it to pick up a LITTLE more before I cancel everything over there, once I leave there it's for good."

I guess we kinda see why he was so defensive right off the bat. He's another one just playing out the string. No attachment, no loyalty, no respect.

Mweb

"It seems like this board is in a good position to become more like the prime version of OH. Not a ton of posters, but mostly good to great ones, and thus a high level of familiarity with most posters."

"BTW, you've reached 500 posts so it's time to start paying Chris."

And I saved the best for last. Yeah buddy, fall on your sword and make me out to be the bad guy. Crap, I can't believe I actually fell for your crap.

I have no issue with what I said. I did like the Hangout more in the past and I alluded to that in the OP. Like I said, that's not a reflection on you, in fact it's because you have done such a good job attracting new posters to the site. My preference is when the board had fewer posters and a better overall quality of posters (imo). But I have still enjoyed the board obviously, otherwise I would have left.

The other line is just a joke, which I don't think you or anyone else on here should take offence to.

In an effort to try to find something that everyone can agree on, I ask this question...

Good times?

CalEddie-746331.jpg

I disagree with you completely!

Great Times.

Even though I'm currently on my honeymoon in Europe, I have to get my two cents in. ;):D

I have no qualms with Tony or Chris. I've had personal communications with both (albeit over email) and I think of them both as friends. Heck, Chris was nice enough to put an NHL thread on his site at my suggestion. A site that I haven't visited as much as of late, considering my wedding/honeymoon planning had been taking up so much of my time.

That said, OH will always be my home. No offense to Chris who I applaud for putting together a great group of members including Sports Guy, Mackus and others, but there's just something special about OH I just can't put my finger on. That's not to say I won't check Chris' site occasionally, but OH will always be the site I check the most online (other than Facebook). Tony, Scott, and others have put together a wonderful site, and I'm not going to abandon them anytime soon. :)

• Upvote 1

Bashing him for the PM's is one thing, what you did is another thing. You have personal issues with him that likely prohibits you from seeing that distinction.

It could easily be argued that his personal issues also grant him particular insight on what's particularly appropiate.

I think it's time for the list to be made public. Foxhole vs non-foxhole guys. Community members vs posters. Bobmc vs.sane people.

That would be so juicy, so many people would get offended, it would be gloriously entertaining to read!

• Upvote 1

In an effort to try to find something that everyone can agree on, I ask this question...

Good times?

CalEddie-746331.jpg

If Carl Weathers and Matthew Lillard want to get drunk together, who are we to say otherwise?

I think it's time for the list to be made public. Foxhole vs non-foxhole guys. Community members vs posters. Bobmc vs.sane people.

That would be so juicy, so many people would get offended, it would be gloriously entertaining to read!

Mashed Potatoes: are you, or have you ever been, a member of the BSL party????

• Upvote 2

WOW!

I'm a proud member of both sites, and will continue to be. Granted, Rob and Chris are "real life" friends of mine, but I also feel like I have good relationships over here as well. "The Epic" has become a close friend, and that wouldn't have happened if not for OH.

This will certainly remain the #1 site for Orioles info and discussion, but there's plenty of room on the internet for two great boards.

LMAO...what exactly did I do? Share my personal experience and opinion of the guy? It's okay for folks to come here and say, "Oh, I think Chris is a super-nice guy!", but my sharing an opinion to the contrary isn't cool?