birdsfan4ever

Cubs after Roberts

I'd be happy with Roberts for Pie.

Then I'd trade Tejada for Wood and someone with high upside.

Then trade Bedard to the Dodgers for Kershaw, Laroche, and Hu.

Or, trade both Tejada and Bedard to the Angels for their top guys.

Then trade Huff, Mora, Payton, Ramon Hernandez for whatever prospects you can get.

Blow this team up! Get young, and get there fast. Lose 100, 110, 120 games - for this O's fan, I'd much rather watch kids lose a ton, then them win some with no hope of every playing past September for the next 10 years.

The Cubs already have a good 2B. An upgrade is always welcome, provided the pricetag is reasonable.

If the O's are not at the point of hanging a reasonable pricetag on Roberts, then let's quit wasting each other's time, because overpaying for a modest upgrade at 2B shouldn't be on the the Cubs agenda.

If the Cubs are going to overpay, it'll be for a RF. Teahen is getting some play as an option there.

I agree with you! But the Cubs are the ones said to have made the "significant offer" (Balt. Sun) for a player that was not actively being shopped. I still don't see where the O's need to put a reasonable price tag on a guy not being shopped. If the Cubs want to pay up we'll listen. Who's wasting time here?

I agree with you Davearm. I think it's hard for the Orioles to make trades for people like Murton or Cedeno until the Bedard trade happens. Bedard is going to bring us the most valuable pieces. If we get Kemp in a Bedard package then Murton seems unnecessary. Same with Cedeno if Hu comes back from the Dodgers. Hopefully, one of the reasons for the slow action this week with McPhail is that he is trying to get all his ducks in a row before pulling the trigger on other deals.

Good post Mackus.

One thing your post compels me to clarify is that in a Murton + Gallagher + Cedeno deal, Cedeno is the #3 guy, but Murton and Gallagher are more 1A and 1B. Many GMs would value Gallagher more, so the common perception that "hey we can't trade Roberts if Murton is the best player coming back" is not quite accurate. Arguably Gallagher is, but at any rate you're getting two guys with similar value (IMO).

The rest of your post leads me to this.

We know MacPhail and Hendry are friends, and are able to work well together. I could see Hendry things like this: Andy, make your best deals for Bedard and/or Tejada, and then let's put our heads together and see where you've still got holes.

The Cubs have several MIs that could be in play here. They have several OFs, and several SPs, and several RPs too. Once the O's roster situation comes into clearer focus, and the rebuild/blowup is in full effect, then using Roberts to fill in the remaining gaps is a pretty logical approach, IMO, and one that the Cubs can easily facilitate given their inventory.

I agree with you! But the Cubs are the ones said to have made the "significant offer" (Balt. Sun) for a player that was not actively being shopped. I still don't see where the O's need to put a reasonable price tag on a guy not being shopped. If the Cubs want to pay up we'll listen. Who's wasting time here?

Oh please. Let's not try and pretend that the O's are perfectly content with the team they've got now, and are not out there "actively shopping" their best assets.

MacPhail is intent on rebuilding this roster, and everyone in baseball knows it.

I am glad to see My Perfect One has not been traded yet.:) I was terrified to even look at the Hangout this morning:eek: I know alot of you find it funny but this is a trade thay would be really painful!:(

Cindy it's not that bad, you'd just have to become a Cubs fan.:)

Oh please. Let's not try and pretend that the O's are perfectly content with the team they've got now, and are not out there "actively shopping" their best assets.

MacPhail is intent on rebuilding this roster, and everyone in baseball knows it.

Yes we are actively shopping our players, but we aren't shopping them at the dollar store. Hopefully the Cubs brass can figure this out, because apparently their fans can't.

B/c it is incredibly annoying and you're creating an argument that can't be won or lost.

Like what you are attempting to do here - start an argument that cant be won ;)

If you read the whole back and forth between myself and the other poster- maybe you would see why I posted what I did. And maybe you wouldn't ?

Anyway- no one likes to basically be told to "shut up" or what they are allowed to be post about- that isn't your call. And that is incredibly annoying.

There are better ways to get your point across than the way you chose to do so.

The year prior to his 18 HR outburst, he had 4 HRs and 50 doubles. Those doubles usually translate into HRs eventually.

The 18 HR's was a fluke, mostly driven by one insane month, April, where he hit 8 HR's. His next highest monthly total in his career is 4, which he only has attained twice, neither of which was in 2005, BTW.

I feel the "real" BRob you will see for the next 3-4 years is basically the 2006 version on the low end and the 2007 version on the high end. 2005 isn't going to happen again, but neither is 2001-04.

Yes we are actively shopping our players, but we aren't shopping them at the dollar store. Hopefully the Cubs brass can figure this out, because apparently their fans can't.

Exactly. The fact is, Roberts is worth more than it makes sense for the Cubs, a team that doesn't really need a 2B, to offer for him. They made a run at him and, thankfully, MacPhail doesn't seem to have made any fatal mistakes yet. The O's know what the offer was and it's certainly nothing to jump at. They need to focus on trading Bedard because they're getting very big offers for him and Tejada/Hernandez/Mora/Huff whoever else they really want to move because they feel they could be actual detriments to the rebuilding process because of their extreme dissatisfaction, work ethics or relationships with Trembley. If all those things are done, Roberts is PO'd, and there hasn't been a better offer for him, only then should the Orioles consider trading him to the Cubs for a couple of mediocre players. Based on the statement by Hendry from Cubs.com that I posted in this thread last night (sorry, thread's too long to go find it), I think that's what he's hoping for. That or he may eventually be inspired to move Pie if he gets Fukodome. It is also likely that other clubs might get involved once the scramble for Bedard, Santana, Haren, etc. is over and outbid the Cubs. The bar right now isn't set very high, so that could create some offers if teams in and of itself.

I did not say, suggest or pretend anything you said in this quote. However, to adress your points, no one is "content" with the team, least of all O's fans. We know that MacPhail is activley shopping the majority of the roster and he has said he will listen to any proposal. The goal is to reshape the roster.

Regarding Roberts, we've had sources on this board say for months that Roberts won't be traded (at a minimum is unlikely to be traded). We've had Angelos veto a proposed trade involving Roberts in the past. It is well documented the affections that Peter Angelos has for Roberts. Despite all that, your the one lecturing about how the O's need to be "fair" if they want to trade Roberts. Am I missing something?

When I look at Murton I get Larry Bigbie flashbacks. .800 OPS LF looks good O's fans because we've benn getting .660 form that position. But league average for a LF is .825

When I look at Murton I get Larry Bigbie flashbacks. .800 OPS LF looks good O's fans because we've benn getting .660 form that position. But league average for a LF is .825

The average OPS for AL left fielders the past 4 seasons has been .758, .797, .771, and .800, so Murton would be right there, and thats if he doesn't improve. I think he could get as high as .850 or so.

Still prefer Pie obviously, but Murton is a good player. Not a star, but good.

Regarding Roberts, we've had sources on this board say for months that Roberts won't be traded (at a minimum is unlikely to be traded). We've had Angelos veto a proposed trade involving Roberts in the past. It is well documented the affections that Peter Angelos has for Roberts. Despite all that, your the one lecturing about how the O's need to be "fair" if they want to trade Roberts. Am I missing something?

Yes. The fact that the Cubs are one of the OriolesReach charities. We're looking at a big tax write off for donating Roberts to their cause. ;)

The average OPS for AL left fielders the past 4 seasons has been .758, .797, .771, and .800, so Murton would be right there, and thats if he doesn't improve. I think he could get as high as .850 or so.

Still prefer Pie obviously, but Murton is a good player. Not a star, but good.

I like Murton. Last year he wasn't really given that much of a chance, and I would love to have him playing LF for us. However, he's not the centerpiece in a Roberts trade.