DiggetyDon

I have returned (with info on Roberts)

This is a fair return on Roberts but I hold off on making this deal until after Bedard is traded. If we get a RF, I do what I have to do to get Pie in the deal, assuming the Cubs sign Fukudome it shouldn't be impossible.

I don't understand the comment about Pie being unavailavble unless the Orioles add a SP prospect to the deal. Who would we add thats better than Gallagher? Why couldn't you just take him out and put Pie in and be in the same situation? Obviously you'd need someone other than Murton in that scenario so the Cubs still have outfielders.

Seems like a waste of time to even discuss this trade. Does anybody seriously think Peter will ok trading B- Rob?
If we move Bedard and Tejada, Roberts is gone assuming we get a good offer.

According to this article:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-071205cubs,1,2153650.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines

The Cubs really want Roberts bad. Pinella and Hendry love him.

The article contradicts what davearm has been saying here:

The Cubs view Roberts as a big upgrade over Matsui who the Cubs tried to sign this winter, who would have been an upgrade over DeRosa.

Pie is not in their plans for this year. They want Fukudome. If not, DeRosa would move to RF.

Also, it states that Roberts would indeed be the leadoff hitter and Soriano would move down the order.

So, we hold out for Pie and Gallagher. DEAL !

Thanks for finding that article. And yes, I really hope that we make a Gallagher, Pie for Roberts deal; I think it makes a lot of sense and is incredibly fair for both teams

Would you guys do any of these deals:

Murton, Gallagher and Veal for BRob

Gallagher, Dempster and Pie for BRob and Liz

Pie and Wuertz for BRob

Pie and Marshall for BRob

Pie and Gallagher for BRob.

If I have to I throw back a prospect (Liz for ex)

You might very well be right here. Another situation where the O's have to wait on another player. Do you think that if the Cubbies get Fukudome, then maybe Pie becomes more tradeable? Pie/Gallagher would be a great get.

Diggety Don mentioned they may go after Blanton and my guess is, that means they want to save Pie for him.

Now, obviously he isn't as good as Blanton but what if we included DCab in this???

Would a DCab and BRob for Pie, Gallagher and Veal trade work??

Pie and Gallagher for BRob.

If I have to I throw back a prospect (Liz for ex)

If we are sending them Liz, they need to include another player...Perhaps Wuertz?

Diggety Don mentioned they may go after Blanton and my guess is, that means they want to save Pie for him.

Now, obviously he isn't as good as Blanton but what if we included DCab in this???

Hate to say it, but I'm not sure a team looking to compete can go into the season with DCab in the rotation.

I've never seen Gallagher pitch. Based strictly on his numbers, I personally am not that impressed. However, the source I like to rely on for minor league players has nice things to say about him:

7B means he has a 70% probability of being an average regular.

For the record, this is what they say about Patterson:

8C means he has a 50% probability of being a Solid Regular.

What don't you like??? Good K rate, decent BB rate and good HR rate...And he has been young for his leagues.

Stuff seems very good and if he can get his changeup in line, he could be a top of the rotation guy.

To be honest, after doing some more research on him, I am higher on him now than i was before.

Would you guys do any of these deals:

Murton, Gallagher and Veal for BRob

Gallagher, Dempster and Pie for BRob and Liz

Pie and Wuertz for BRob

Pie and Marshall for BRob

I'd do Pie and Marshall.

Two points. It's total conjecture that Pie isn't in their plans. Most likely, Fukodome would play RF, with Pie in CF, and DeRosa as a super utility guy. JMO

Second point. DaveArm actually thinks he is the GM of the Cubs.

Well, other than the early mention as being off the table, he doesn't get mentioned in the batting order listed or as a RF or CF candidate. I found that an odd omission. They are built to win now. Perhaps he isnt ready yet in their eyes. Lou likes veterans anyway, I think.

But, yeah- I am reading into it what I want to be the truth. :D

If the Cubs acquired Roberts and signed Fukudome, they could have a potential regular lineup of Roberts, Theriot, Derrek Lee, Soriano, Aramis Ramirez, Fukudome, DeRosa and Geovany Soto. They would have speed at the top of the order, Soriano's power in the middle, and a more athletic outfield.

At this point, it's all just rumors. But if the Cubs can pull off a couple of key moves in the next few weeks, it could turn a quiet off-season into a big one. Piniella said Wednesday that Hendry "promised me by Christmas I'll be very happy." Roberts and Fukudome might just be the Christmas presents Piniella is dreaming about.

This is a fair return on Roberts but I hold off on making this deal until after Bedard is traded. If we get a RF, I do what I have to do to get Pie in the deal, assuming the Cubs sign Fukudome it shouldn't be impossible.

I don't understand the comment about Pie being unavailavble unless the Orioles add a SP prospect to the deal. Who would we add thats better than Gallagher? Why couldn't you just take him out and put Pie in and be in the same situation? Obviously you'd need someone other than Murton in that scenario so the Cubs still have outfielders.

I am with you here...I don't understand it either.

DCab seems to make sense for only 2 types of teams. The first is a team that is really strong at pitching and could experiment with him as a 5th starter (I'm thinking Boston or LA Dodgers) or a really young team that can work through his stuff (I'm thinking O's with Kranitz or a Marlins type organization. I'm not sure the Cubbies would gamble on him.

Seems like a waste of time to even discuss this trade. Does anybody seriously think Peter will ok trading B- Rob?

Yes, for three reasons:

1. He's giving MacPhail more autonomy than the prior GM's.

2. The team is losing and he needs to do something.

3. We tried to sign Roberts for longer last winter and he would only commit to 2 years, so we know he's gone after 2009 unless the team improves greatly.

As to Murton, he is nothing great but he is a big upgrade over what we've had in LF the last several seasons. His best years should be in front of him. If he's the second piece in a three-piece offer, that's not bad.