Frobby

Any thoughts on where Jimmy Reed (LHP, U. Md.) might get drafted?

A friend of mine is Jimmy Reed's uncle. He pitched to a 2.70 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, 7.8 K/9, 3.25 K/BB this season, partially as a starter and partially as a reliever. Any scouting reports on him, or guesses as to where he will be drafted? Is a kid like this better off signing, or better off staying in college one more year?

A friend of mine is Jimmy Reed's uncle. He pitched to a 2.70 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, 7.8 K/9, 3.25 K/BB this season, partially as a starter and partially as a reliever. Any scouting reports on him, or guesses as to where he will be drafted? Is a kid like this better off signing, or better off staying in college one more year?

He looked great in the pen, and his first start out, throwing 96-97mph, but by his second start he had dropped down to 93-94, and his 3rd he was down around 91-92 where he stayed the rest of the season. He's got some really good late tail on his FB, and he's got a really good change with some movement. His slider isn't bad, but could improve a bit. I could see him going in the 5-7th round area and doing really well as a RP, but not sure he sticks as a SP. If he's going to stay a starter, I doubt he improves his stock much, as a RP he might move up a couple rounds...maybe. I doubt you're going to see anything new unless he refines that slider.

He's generally a profile that gets popped in the mid- to late-teens (usually by a local MLB team or one with ties to the school/area). He lacks size and is certainly a reliever. He doesn't really have a breaking ball unless you think the curve will play at the next level (little loopy for my taste). His change has nice fade and could be weapon. He mixes a two-seam fastball and a cutter (which is probably what AS saw with the slider he mentioned in his response).

I'd go back to school -- he's looking at less than $100K. If he can show better velo and a MLB breaking ball in relief he could go in the late single-digits next year.

Thanks, guys. Looks like there's some room for a difference of opinion. It will be interesting to see what happens.

He's generally a profile that gets popped in the mid- to late-teens (usually by a local MLB team or one with ties to the school/area). He lacks size and is certainly a reliever. He doesn't really have a breaking ball unless you think the curve will play at the next level (little loopy for my taste). His change has nice fade and could be weapon. He mixes a two-seam fastball and a cutter (which is probably what AS saw with the slider he mentioned in his response).

I'd go back to school -- he's looking at less than $100K. If he can show better velo and a MLB breaking ball in relief he could go in the late single-digits next year.

Yeah the curve was a nice change of speed, but very hittable, didn't throw it much. The cutter must have been what I thought was a slider, had some really nice break to it, like the FB, but much more.

If he can get back to that 96-97mph range as a RP, he could be a nasty lefty out of the pen.

Thanks, guys. Looks like there's some room for a difference of opinion. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Full disclosure, I only saw him throw twice and both on internet feed (though at least it was tv quality production). AS could be right on in the late teens, but the profile just doesn't do it for me.

Full disclosure, I only saw him throw twice and both on internet feed (though at least it was tv quality production). AS could be right on in the late teens, but the profile just doesn't do it for me.

I think I just have a crush on the short pitchers this year that are going to scare everyone off.

21st round, Yankees.

I never saw the kid pitch, but my area guy did and said he was 88-91 so that profiles with him being taken in the 21st round. From Maryland, I liked Michael Boyden who was taken by the Nationals in the 31st round. For a senior sign he's got a chance because he knows how to pitch and flashed a decent breaking ball to go with his 90-92 MPH FB. Very compact and repeatable delivery. I think occasional command issues and being a senior dropped him because some teams had him up to 94 MPH.

I never saw the kid pitch, but my area guy did and said he was 88-91 so that profiles with him being taken in the 21st round. From Maryland, I liked Michael Boyden who was taken by the Nationals in the 31st round. For a senior sign he's got a chance because he knows how to pitch and flashed a decent breaking ball to go with his 90-92 MPH FB. Very compact and repeatable delivery. I think occasional command issues and being a senior dropped him because some teams had him up to 94 MPH.

Selected him in the 9th Round in the shadow draft run for Camden Depot as a cost saver:

Rd 1, Kevin Gausman (rhp, Lousiana St. Univ.)

Rd 2, Tanner Rahier (ss, Palm Desert HS, Palm Desert, Calif.)

Rd 3, Avery Romero (ss/3b, Menendez HS, St. Augustine, Fla.)

Rd 4, Ty Buttrey (rhp, Providence HS, Charlotte, N.C.)

Rd 5, Josh Elander (c/of, Texas Christian Univ.)

Rd 6, Lex Rutledge (lhp, Samford Univ.)

Rd 7, Jeremy Rathjen (of, Rice Univ.)

Rd 8 Zach Cooper (rhp, Central Michigan Univ.)

Rd 9, Michael Boyden (rhp, Univ. of Maryland)

Rd 10, Chris Kirsch (rhp, Lackawanna JC, Penn.)

Go back to school, kid :)

I'm pretty sure he will, based on what his uncle is telling me. The coaching staff wants him back pretty badly.

Selected him in the 9th Round in the shadow draft run for Camden Depot as a cost saver:

Rd 1, Kevin Gausman (rhp, Lousiana St. Univ.)

Rd 2, Tanner Rahier (ss, Palm Desert HS, Palm Desert, Calif.)

Rd 3, Avery Romero (ss/3b, Menendez HS, St. Augustine, Fla.)

Rd 4, Ty Buttrey (rhp, Providence HS, Charlotte, N.C.)

Rd 5, Josh Elander (c/of, Texas Christian Univ.)

Rd 6, Lex Rutledge (lhp, Samford Univ.)

Rd 7, Jeremy Rathjen (of, Rice Univ.)

Rd 8 Zach Cooper (rhp, Central Michigan Univ.)

Rd 9, Michael Boyden (rhp, Univ. of Maryland)

Rd 10, Chris Kirsch (rhp, Lackawanna JC, Penn.)

Nice. I'm going to track Boyden as a case study. He's a kid who wasn't given a ton of chances on a team not filled with major league prospects yet when I saw him he looked better then a lot of minor league pitchers I've seen. I didn't see him up as high as 94 but I heard he's been in that area. Either way, he's a got nice fluid delivery, his fastball has some life, and his breaking ball can flash plus at times. He's probably a reliever ultimately but if he could come up with a change, he might surprise some people. I guess we'll see how good my only look at him will end up.