BKB

Orange Throat?

This is soo Dempsey! Does anyone remember the game against the LAA last year when Dempsey was announcing and said he is neighbors with Sciosia and Sciosia had told him they backed out of the Tejada deal b/c Tejada did not want to move to third in the middle of the season? Sciosia = Las Vegas.

I can see Dempsey doing this interview, though. Although, as a fan, I'd be a bit disappointed if Dempsey had this type of "inside" info. He's certainly not the brightest bulb in the light.

I can't find the link now, but there's a guy who sells sports merchandise in the Tidewater area of Virginia in shops, and has promos when athletes from all sports and all teams come in for signings.

He then puts up photos on his website and comments on them. Boog and Brooks went together, and he said he enjoyed how they were ready to start signing earlier than the contracted time, and the ribbing they gave each other. (I found this site by Googling Boog, BTW)

Dempsey went too. In 2005 (I think), and the merchant's comment was that he was surprised how "frank" Dempsey was talking about the team's problems. His photo was up too.

Also, for those who think this is Flanagan: He was pitching coach under Ray Miller in the late 90s, so he had been around for awhile before 2002. He also was an unofficial advisor to PA after that.

If Dempsey is blabbing about the Orioles at a tee-shirt signing event at a sporting goods store in Norfolk, there's no telling what he's saying to other people.

Seems to me like Miller = Millar and Johnson = Roberts.

Miller sounds a lot more like Mora to me, except for the part about his Spanish not being fluent.

*Edit: Missed davearm's post, but I agree with him. Maybe the Spanish part was made up to hide Melvin's identity?

Miller sounds a lot more like Mora to me' date=' except for the part about his Spanish not being fluent.

*Edit: Missed davearm's post, but I agree with him. Maybe the Spanish part was made up to hide Melvin's identity?[/quote']

Miller has to be Roberts.

Miller has to be Roberts.

I guess it depends on what part of the description of "Miller" you think the author fabricated to hide his identity. I'm going with Mora as "Miller" and Roberts as "Johnson."

Agree 100%

Also, this source is supposedly talking to another team (Las Vegas?) about possible trades, and I doubt AM lets Dempsey get within a hundred miles of something like that. My guess is its Flanagan, who's deliberately stabbing the O's in the back for showing him the proverbial door.

Although if it is Dempsey,he has ties to the Dodgers...

I know this a complete stab in the dark but...

Terry Crowley

Orioles player: '69-'73, '76-'82

Returned to Club: '98 for his second stint (first was '85-'88) as a hitting coach and has been here since.

Who is in better position to be a "scout type" or have informal talks about a player than the hitting coach? To me, his position, history with the club, knowledge of players and team history all fit the bill. I know he doesn't quite fit the criteria of an assistant GM or assistant to the GM, but he would be close enough to say, in such informal a manner, what was pointed out in the "article".

Didn't see his name tossed out before. Food for thought...

Bio per baltimore.orioles.mlb.com

edit: for typos

• Upvote 1

I know this a complete stab in the dark but...

Terry Crowley

Orioles player: '69-'73, '76-'82

Returned to Club: '98 for his second stint (first was '85-'88) as a hitting coach and has been here since.

Who is in better position to be a "scout type" or have informal talks about a player than the hitting coach? To me, his position, history with the club, knowledge of players and team history all fit the bill. I know he doesn't quite fit the criteria of an assistant GM or assistant to the GM, but he would be close enough to say, in such informal a manner, what was pointed out in the "article".

Didn't see his name tossed out before. Food for thought...

Bio per baltimore.orioles.mlb.com

edit: for typos

Possible...

Although it doesn't fit completely, anyone think it may be ray Miller? think about it...could make sense in some ways, (isn't he from Ohio???), he was around, cam e back....I know I'm grasping, but I could see him talking being an advisor to AM....

I’m with you dudes on Dempsey as FO/Scout type. Played here 3 years in the 70’s (came over in the ’76 trade, and played part of that season, and three full seasons ’77-’79). He was a bit more than “around the club” in the ‘80’s (was our starting catcher), but did return in 2002 (as 1B coach after Murray went to Cleveland).

In 2001 Dempsey returned to Baltimore as a commentator for Comcast SportsNet, which is why he’s no stranger to TV today as he heads to MASN. But for that job, Rick wore a suit and tie, not a uniform.

Then in 2002, after the Orioles gave then first base coach Eddie Murray an opportunity to be the hitting instructor for the Cleveland Indians, The Demper put his classic number 24 orange and black jersey on again for the first time in a decade.

http://mvn.com/mlb-orioles/2007/02/15/rick-dempsey-going-to-masn/' rel="external nofollow">

Source

He would (probably) be privy to some of this info via his Oriole contacts (former teammate Flanagan, and Dempsey’s ingratiating relationship with HMFIC Angelos). And, I wouldn’t put it past Dempsey at all to dig for info, undermine what the current regime is trying to do, and air our “inside info” to someone else.

I don’t think it’s Flanny. I don’t know how verbatim the exchange is (and whether it was tape recorded, via e-mail, whatever*), but some of the vocabulary and grammar usage doesn’t sound at all like Flanny. Say what you will about his abilities as a GM, he’s a very well-spoken guy who wouldn’t say/write:

Smith: Because Sanchez needs a babysitter and Miller was among the very few that don’t speak spanish fluently

(Shouldn't that be "doesn't"?)

Churchill: What is Sanchez’s problem?

Smith: He’s a piece of work, really, ya know?

Sounds a little to "casual" to be Flanny. My 2¢. Of course, some of that may have been intentionally casual as to throw off suspicion.

I think this is the most interested I've been in the Orioles' off-season in weeks. LOL

*EDIT: I just re-read it, and it seems this interview was done via (recorded?) phone call.

Witchy

I also thought it was pretty obviously Mora. I think the author put in the Spanish stuff to provide a misdirection that was also a clue as to who he was talking about.

Makes perfect sense to me. With the extension part it could only be Mora or Roberts, and Mora fits better despite the spanish stuff. Which would likely make Roberts "Johnson" (the guy who is young enough to keep but will go if they get a great deal).