paulcoates

Official Draft thread

If you knew Bundy had to have TJ surgery, miss a year and then would come back as good as he is, would you take him?

The problem w this is, you can't KNOW he'll come back as good as ever. Not before hand. At 16, that's a chance you take. At 4, I don't think it is.

• Upvote 1

You're right. A pitcher they drafted got hurt. They should only draft hitters from now on.

They drafted him hurt. There's the difference.

1. No team is gonna give ANY player $2.5 million dollars because they feel sorry for him.

2. He didn't "overcome weight problems."

3. The family isn't "financially disadvantaged."

Please stop making up stuff to fit your off-the-wall theories.

1- Did I say "feel sorry for him"? Nope, I sure didn't. I am speaking more of forming a connection with the young man and his family. Huge difference between that and pity.

2- He most definitely did, his uncle even posted about it on the OH. He really put forth the effort to get into shape between his junior and senior years.

3- This I may be very well wrong about and misremembering. I didn't mean object poverty to begin with. I will retract the statement.

He's a Houston kid who thought he was going #1 overall to his hometown team. I didn't read much more into it than that.

Didn't have to read into it, blowing off your first conference call is bad enough, but then to give a no comment when asked how it feels to be a Pirate, that's pretty bad.

The problem w this is, you can't KNOW he'll come back as good as ever. Not before hand. At 16, that's a chance you take. At 4, I don't think it is.

With TJ, it's VERY likely, there's a very high success rate, it's the shoulder injuries you want to stay away from.

With TJ, it's VERY likely, there's a very high success rate, it's the shoulder injuries you want to stay away from.

I agree w that. But it doesn't really change my point.

I mean if Bundy had blown his elbow out last year, and was on the shelf all of this year, and we'd taken Bradley instead, would that have been a bad thing?

Didn't have to read into it, blowing off your first conference call is bad enough, but then to give a no comment when asked how it feels to be a Pirate, that's pretty bad.

Agreed, I just don't think the supposed intrigue surrounding his response is that, well, intriguing.

I mean if Bundy had blown his elbow out last year, and was on the shelf all of this year, and we'd taken Bradley instead, would that have been a bad thing?

Well, I think there's a very good argument to be made that the answer to your question is YES.

Agreed, I just don't think the supposed intrigue surrounding his response is that, well, intriguing.

Yeah I guess, I just always find it interesting when guys just throw away that good guy cover and act like D-bags in public.

Well, I think there's a very good argument to be made that the answer to your question is YES.

How so? It's a complete hypothetical. IF Bundy did get hurt we have no idea how he'd respond to it. Kinda like the case w the kid the Nats drafted.

Yeah I guess, I just always find it interesting when guys just throw away that good guy cover and act like D-bags in public.

It's certainly giving the anti-HuntingtonCoonelly crowd here in Pittsburgh a cloud for their silver lining this a.m.

Edited by sakata_catching

He lost millions right in front of everyone's eyes. I'll give the kid a few hours to sleep on it and hopefully come out much more classy today. Agree...it definitely doesn't come across well. Pitt fans won't forget it unless he becomes a hometown hero type who eventually resigns with the org.

He lost millions right in front of everyone's eyes. I'll give the kid a few hours to sleep on it and hopefully come out much more classy today. Agree...it definitely doesn't come across well. Pitt fans won't forget it unless he becomes a hometown hero type who eventually resigns with the org.

He's about to be a millionaire, I don't have much sympathy for him not knowing how to act in public. There are plenty of kids there who thought they'd go higher and didn't act like 7 year olds. I'm thinking he goes back to school he was so unhappy, but we'll see.

Sometimes you have to take risks to get the best players. Other teams have been doing it for years and getting better while we are mismanaged. Giolito is THAT good that the risk is probably worth it, but that's been lost this season because teams wrote him off a while ago. I HOPE he signs because I think he's going to make the Nats an amazing team for years to come, their drafting the past few years has been amazing.