paulcoates

Official Draft thread

Guys, don't forget from here on out to talk about the O's selections in their own threads. Once a thread is made up (whoever makes it up please follow the standard set with Gausman), post all information and opinions in that thread so it makes it easier for people to find it later and helps us create the Draft tracker. Thanks.

Sometimes you have to take risks to get the best players. Other teams have been doing it for years and getting better while we are mismanaged. Giolito is THAT good that the risk is probably worth it, but that's been lost this season because teams wrote him off a while ago. I HOPE he signs because I think he's going to make the Nats an amazing team for years to come, their drafting the past few years has been amazing.

Well they took two similar shots last year, in Rendon and Purke, and so far (and yes its too early to judge) the returns are not good.

The O's have taken shots at guys like Coffey and Berry in the past, and that hasn't worked out for us.

I think in the top 5 you should be minimizing the risk as much as possible.

He's about to be a millionaire, I don't have much sympathy for him not knowing how to act in public. There are plenty of kids there who thought they'd go higher and didn't act like 7 year olds. I'm thinking he goes back to school he was so unhappy, but we'll see.

He was about to be a millionaire several times over and living close to his old home. Now he'll be worth probably 1/3 of what he expected and living in what a lot of people mistakeningly think is a worn out rust bowl city and playing for an organization that last won games when Bobby Bonilla weighed less than 250 lbs.

If he's smart, he's probably more p.o'd at his "advisor" than anyone else. I assume they overplayed their hand, though it's possible Houston really just went with the #1 talent on their board.

Well they took two similar shots last year, in Rendon and Purke, and so far (and yes its too early to judge) the returns are not good.

The O's have taken shots at guys like Coffey and Berry in the past, and that hasn't worked out for us.

I think in the top 5 you should be minimizing the risk as much as possible.

Yeah WAY too early to judge, much different class than Coffey and Berry and like I said different injury concerns. Gio doesn't have mechanical problems, he strained his ucl, which could have been a freak occurrence and never happen again, or it could lead to an elbow surgery down the road, both safer than messing with faulty mechanics or shoulder concerns.

Lots of people want to minimize the risk there, and that's fine, it's one approach, but then you can't complain when other teams have all these top 100 prospects that we don't have, because that's the flip side to playing it safe.

Yeah WAY too early to judge, much different class than Coffey and Berry and like I said different injury concerns. Gio doesn't have mechanical problems, he strained his ucl, which could have been a freak occurrence and never happen again, or it could lead to an elbow surgery down the road, both safer than messing with faulty mechanics or shoulder concerns.

Lots of people want to minimize the risk there, and that's fine, it's one approach, but then you can't complain when other teams have all these top 100 prospects that we don't have, because that's the flip side to playing it safe.

I think you are simplifiying things a bit. If Lucas Giolito was clearly heads and shoulders ahead of Gausman, Zimmer, and Appel, I might buy into it. I don't think it's that clear. You have him sounding like Strasburg. I don't think so.

He was about to be a millionaire several times over and living close to his old home. Now he'll be worth probably 1/3 of what he expected and living in what a lot of people mistakeningly think is a worn out rust bowl city and playing for an organization that last won games when Bobby Bonilla weighed less than 250 lbs.

If he's smart, he's probably more p.o'd at his "advisor" than anyone else. I assume they overplayed their hand, though it's possible Houston really just went with the #1 talent on their board.

He could have stepped in and told HOU he'd take $5m, that's his own fault, no sympathy here. Appel was #1 on their board from what I've heard, he went for the full $7m and they started shopping around to other picks to see what they'd sign for. I guess we'll see the final #s, but I know Gausman offered for $5 and they wouldn't have taken McCullers if they didn't work out a deal for some money.

He overplayed his own hand when he signed with Boras, he knew what he was all about and did it on his own. But like I said, you don't get to choose where you go, and no one else was whining about where they were picked. His choice, his actions, I just can't rationalize feeling bad for him, he's still going to make more than ANY of us here.

He could have stepped in and told HOU he'd take $5m, that's his own fault, no sympathy here. Appel was #1 on their board from what I've heard, he went for the full $7m and they started shopping around to other picks to see what they'd sign for. I guess we'll see the final #s, but I know Gausman offered for $5 and they wouldn't have taken McCullers if they didn't work out a deal for some money.

He overplayed his own hand when he signed with Boras, he knew what he was all about and did it on his own. But like I said, you don't get to choose where you go, and no one else was whining about where they were picked. His choice, his actions, I just can't rationalize feeling bad for him, he's still going to make more than ANY of us here.

He didn't actually sign did he? He is royally screwed if he doesn't even have returning for senior year leverage.

I think you are simplifiying things a bit. If Lucas Giolito was clearly heads and shoulders ahead of Gausman, Zimmer, and Appel, I might buy into it. I don't think it's that clear. You have him sounding like Strasburg. I don't think so.

Yes it is, healthy or recovered from an injury, he is heads and shoulders ahead of all 3, and not too far off from that Strasburg/Bundy/Verlander territory. That's what people are missing because he got hurt before he really started getting talked up, but yeah, he's that good. He's good enough that I (and apparently WAS) would take him regardless of injury risk and just ride it out as they did knowing there was a good chance Strasburg would get hurt early in his career.

He didn't actually sign did he? He is royally screwed if he doesn't even have returning for senior year leverage.

Well not "signed" but advised by him is on the way to it. He still has senior year leverage and I expect him to use it.

Well not "signed" but advised by him is on the way to it. He still has senior year leverage and I expect him to use it.

Glad he wasn't that stupid.

It is very early to tell but I have a feeling that Boras won't be the go to agent for a lot of the draftees going forward. Too little room for a huge score, they would be much better off waiting until they get close to FA then switch to Boras.

Yes it is, healthy or recovered from an injury, he is heads and shoulders ahead of all 3, and not too far off from that Strasburg/Bundy/Verlander territory. That's what people are missing because he got hurt before he really started getting talked up, but yeah, he's that good. He's good enough that I (and apparently WAS) would take him regardless of injury risk and just ride it out as they did knowing there was a good chance Strasburg would get hurt early in his career.

Okay. It's that clear for you. Obviously not that clear for others, including a number of scouting directors.

Glad he wasn't that stupid.

It is very early to tell but I have a feeling that Boras won't be the go to agent for a lot of the draftees going forward. Too little room for a huge score, they would be much better off waiting until they get close to FA then switch to Boras.

Could be right, I think this year is a learning process for Boras and he's gotta learn things are different now. Instead of avoiding contact and not talking much numbers before the draft an extorting them after, he's going to have to work with teams in that top 5 fast and furious to secure a spot to stop a free fall. If he had worked out a pre-draft deal (which he's never believed in) with say BAL for $4m or something, that would have given him an absolute minimum to shop back to the 1,2 and 3 teams and say look I have this at 4 already, beat it and we'll sign tomorrow. It's just a change in his philosophy for sure.

Okay. It's that clear for you. Obviously not that clear for others, including a number of scouting directors.

That clear for lots of people, and once again, if you don't respect my opinion I don't understand why you are constantly entering dialogue to find it.

That clear for lots of people, and once again, if you don't respect my opinion I don't understand why you are constantly entering dialogue to find it.

When I see something I question or disagree with, I post. It just happens that I disagree with a lot you have to say. Sorry. Even Rizzo said a healthy Giolito would have been a top 3 pick in the draft. Even he's not saying he would have been a clear #1 overall. Scouting reports on Giolito are mid 90's fastball and touching 100. Pretty much the same reports on Gauzman and Zimmer. Sure, maybe he adds a tick to his fastball and develops into a better pitcher than either but the risk outweighs that "maybe". How much did Giolito dominate HS competition during his junior year when he was 100% healthy? He has a great arm, no doubt. I just think you've gone a tad overboard on him. I don't see many specifics backing up your hype.

What time does round 2 start? Who do you think is going to be the pick? I want one of Butterly, Rahler, Walker or my favorite player left Carson Kelly.