paulcoates

Official Draft thread

Guessing a second round pick is a crapshoot but if enough names are listed someone will definitely guess right. I'm guessing HS player pitcher or hitter. If you don't take your top HS guy here, chances are you won't have enough slot money to sign him away from college in round 3.

I'll throw out two names that I've already thrown around. Both are college guys. Peter O'Brien and Chris Beck. You never know.

What time does round 2 start? Who do you think is going to be the pick? I want one of Butterly, Rahler, Walker or my favorite player left Carson Kelly.

Noon EST

When I see something I question or disagree with, I post. It just happens that I disagree with a lot you have to say. Sorry. Even Rizzo said a healthy Giolito would have been a top 3 pick in the draft. Even he's not saying he would have been a clear #1 overall. Scouting reports on Giolito are mid 90's fastball and touching 100. Pretty much the same reports on Gauzman and Zimmer. Sure, maybe he adds a tick to his fastball and develops into a better pitcher than either but the risk outweighs that "maybe". How much did Giolito dominate HS competition during his junior year when he was 100% healthy? He has a great arm, no doubt. I just think you've gone a tad overboard on him. I don't see many specifics backing up your hype.

That's the thing, you have to go on what other people say, I can look at him myself and see it. So disagree all you want, but go ask Goldstein or Law or Callis who would have gone #1 if Gio was healthy this season, I bet every one will tell you he is in the mix. His curve is plus plus in addition to his plus plus FB as a HS player, and his change is average already. In that sense you could give his stuff the nod over say Gausman who has two plus pitches, and one below average. Not to mention the fun thing about his curve is that it has two different looks to it so it's almost like two different pitches. Oh and he's 6'6 230.

That's the thing, you have to go on what other people say, I can look at him myself and see it. So disagree all you want, but go ask Goldstein or Law or Callis who would have gone #1 if Gio was healthy this season, I bet every one will tell you he is in the mix. His curve is plus plus in addition to his plus plus FB as a HS player, and his change is average already. In that sense you could give his stuff the nod over say Gausman who has two plus pitches, and one below average. Not to mention the fun thing about his curve is that it has two different looks to it so it's almost like two different pitches. Oh and he's 6'6 230.

The pitcher you describe is awesome. He must have struck out 2 batters per inning last year and allowed like 2 runs, right? The potential is high. Even your buddy, Stotle wouldn't have taken him #4 yesterday and thinks he is not nearly as advanced as Bundy was.

BTW, I realize you are a self-described expert and I"m a mere mortal but I can watch the same video that you have, which I have. I've probably read more about these guys than you have. Otherwise you wouldn't have gotten to draft day and though Appel was a senior. Amazing!

Yes, but the point is, being in the mix for #1 overall if healthy, doesn't neccessarily mean good pick at 4 w an elbow injury.

The pitcher you describe is awesome. He must have struck out 2 batters per inning last year and allowed like 2 runs, right? The potential is high. Even your buddy, Stotle wouldn't have taken him #4 yesterday and thinks he is not nearly as advanced as Bundy was.

BTW, I realize you are a self-described expert and I"m a mere mortal but I can watch the same video that you have, which I have. I've probably read more about these guys than you have. Otherwise you wouldn't have gotten to draft day and though Appel was a senior. Amazing!

Never said he was as advanced as Bundy, actually said he wasn't. This whole thing was predicated on IF HE WAS HEALTHY, he wasn't so you can't use what happened as a retort. Apples to Oranges. And either way Stotle and I don't always agree, there were a couple players we disagreed on yesterday, but way to cherry pick to try to prove a point, you are crossing into JTrea territory.

Again...trying to twist words, if you'd have read you would have seen, his own coach called him a senior on MLBN and that's what confused me, as I said.

Did you play the game? Or did you read a lot?

If you don't like what I have to say, don't read it. I don't care if you agree or not, but you don't need to argue it and be a jerk because someone doesn't agree with you. If you disagree so much, then just don't read my posts, you can happily have this amateur forum to enforce your video watching and article reading comprehension. Enjoy. Don't really need to come on here and listen to you be cranky just for the sake of being cranky, it really drags down conversation.

Yes, but the point is, being in the mix for #1 overall if healthy, doesn't neccessarily mean good pick at 4 w an elbow injury.

I said all along it's a risky pick, no doubt, but there is a LOT of potential involved in that risk too.

Never said he was as advanced as Bundy, actually said he wasn't. This whole thing was predicated on IF HE WAS HEALTHY, he wasn't so you can't use what happened as a retort. Apples to Oranges. And either way Stotle and I don't always agree, there were a couple players we disagreed on yesterday, but way to cherry pick to try to prove a point, you are crossing into JTrea territory.

Again...trying to twist words, if you'd have read you would have seen, his own coach called him a senior on MLBN and that's what confused me, as I said.

Did you play the game? Or did you read a lot?

If you don't like what I have to say, don't read it. I don't care if you agree or not, but you don't need to argue it and be a jerk because someone doesn't agree with you. If you disagree so much, then just don't read my posts, you can happily have this amateur forum to enforce your video watching and article reading comprehension. Enjoy. Don't really need to come on here and listen to you be cranky just for the sake of being cranky, it really drags down conversation.

Let's just call this a typical conversation with Allstar when he gets challenged on anything. Everyone knows Appel was a junior but you got confused. Oh well. You said Correa would move to 3B right away as a pro. Anyone who knew anything about the kid new whatever organization drafted him would start him out as a SS. Now, we should accept that the O's missed the boat by not taking Giolito because you say so? You might be right but I question the amount of time you put into formulating your opinions. That makes me a jerk. What a great guy you are!

The fact that the A's got two compensation picks for Josh Willingham is sickening.

Yeah-what is up with that??

With a projectable Brandon Morrow-like frame, Kline has a very live arm with clean action that delivers fastballs regularly in the low-90s, and there might be more velocity in the future. He throws a hard curve and is willing to throw it at all times. He commands both pitches well and has the mentality that works in the back end of a bullpen.While Kline closes in college, he may not fit that role ideally at the next level, though increased velocity might help in that regard. Even if he doesn't rack up saves, he could reach the big leagues quickly as a setup man.

Sounds good.