paulcoates

Official Draft thread

One thing from that article that is interesting is that it seems to give college seniors who were drafted in the top 10 rounds a bit more leverage(not much-but some). This is because there is a cost for the team to walk away from them without signing them. For example, if a team drafts a player and signs him for say $10,000 when his draft slot calls for $125,000-then the team has an extra $115,000 to spend elsewhere. If the team does not sign the player the whole $125,000 goes away. It is in the team's best interest to get such a player signed as quickly as possible so they know what they have to spend on the rest of the draft. I would think that a smart player would realize this and try to work it to get a somewhat bigger signing bonus. Of course, the team still has a bunch of leverage if the player really wants to play pro ball. If the player does not sign, they have to wait until next years draft for another opportunity. This was also present in previous drafts, however. So, in my opinion, the new draft system does give the college senior a bit more leverage.

A bit, but if you are a college senior given a chance to play pro ball, would you rather get $10K in the seventh round or $1,000 in the 17th round? The leverage they are getting is only because the MLB org is offering it up, and I'm not sure spitting in their eye by turning around and playing hardball is really the right way to go.

A bit, but if you are a college senior given a chance to play pro ball, would you rather get $10K in the seventh round or $1,000 in the 17th round? The leverage they are getting is only because the MLB org is offering it up, and I'm not sure spitting in their eye by turning around and playing hardball is really the right way to go.

I realize what you are saying. There is a story on BA of a senior college player who was picked in the 4th round that the team gave a 4 figure bonus to. There is another player who was drafted in the 7th round who is holding out for a bit more. In years past-the team could simply say we are giving you X amount of dollars and the player would have no leverage at all. Again, it is to the team's advantage to sign such players early. I bet the teams are being a little more loose with the purse strings for college seniors to get deals done quickly. They might offer a player who would have gotten $1,000 in the past $10,000 just to get the deal done quickly. I know this is chump change to the teams-but $9,000 is a lot to me and, I am sure, to alot of the players(especially with the meager minor league pay they will receive-should they sign). I am merely suggesting that a smart player would not just jump at the first offer-not that they should play hardball. He should wait a few days for the dust to settle-like the player drafted in the 7th round is doing. Here is the link to the story on BA:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2012/06/talking-with-seniors-who-signed-cheap/

Man, check out the Braves:

According to Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Braves have signed:

first-round pick RHP Lucas Sims.

second-round pick LHP Alex Wood,

third-round pick C Bryan De La Rosa,

fourth-round pick OF Justin Black,

fifth-round pick OF Blake Brown and

sixth-round pick C Josh Elander.

Jun 7 - 9:24 AM

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

According to Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Braves have signed:

I think this new system is going to see players sign much soon then in year's past.

I think this new system is going to see players sign much soon then in year's past.

I would assume most, if not all, signed for the maximum slot bonus to get signed that fast.

What was Elander's bonus -- he was one of my guys.

EDIT -- I'm and idiot and so is the AJC if that is what they wrote. Elander is still in super-regionals, so no way he has signed yet. I assume he and Braves have "agreed to terms". I got a text that Sims signed for slot -- any confirmation on that?

Edited by Stotle

EDIT -- I'm and idiot and so is the AJC if that is what they wrote. Elander is still in super-regionals, so no way he has signed yet. I assume he and Braves have "agreed to terms". I got a text that Sims signed for slot -- any confirmation on that?

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2012/06/06/tech-center-fielder-wren-son-of-braves-gm-drafted-by-reds/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_braves_blog

Royals have signed no 5 pick Kyle Zimmer, slot price was $3.5 million

signed for $3 million, bonus for Royals

Edited by xian4

Sims signed for a little under slot I heard. Like 1.6m.

Royals have signed no 5 pick Kyle Zimmer, slot price was $3.5 million

signed for $3 million, bonus for Royals

Excellent. That's good news for Baltimore. So far Correa was around $2.2 MM under slot and Zimmer is $500K under at a lower slot. $3.75 MM should be more than reasonable as a signing amount if Zimmer actually did sign for 3.

EDIT -- not confirmed (single source) but hearing the general terms discussed for Zunino came out to around $1 MM shy of $5.2 MM (so I'm guessing that really means around $4.5 MM). If true, more good news for BAL. Like Gausman, Zunino can't sign until his season is over, so we won't know for a little while.

Edited by Stotle
  • Upvote 1

Who would be guys that we drafted that would demand overslot amounts and the O's want to pay them the money?

Safe bet: Any high schooler after round 10. If there's any left over from the first ten rounds.

Is he committed to the Blue Jays or can he still choose to play NFL ?

Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that the Blue Jays will sign third-round OF Anthony Alford and allow him to play football at Southern Mississippi.

Alford was thought by many teams to be unsignable due to his football commitment, but the Jays have managed to reel him in by allowing him to play on the gridiron, as well. Callis reports that his signing bonus may be close to double the $424,400 value slotted for the 112th overall pick. Alford is very raw and will take even longer to develop with football also in the picture, but he has a ton of upside as a speedster with plus power potential.