paulcoates

Official Draft thread

Is he committed to the Blue Jays or can he still choose to play NFL ?

Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that the Blue Jays will sign third-round OF Anthony Alford and allow him to play football at Southern Mississippi.

Alford was thought by many teams to be unsignable due to his football commitment, but the Jays have managed to reel him in by allowing him to play on the gridiron, as well. Callis reports that his signing bonus may be close to double the $424,400 value slotted for the 112th overall pick. Alford is very raw and will take even longer to develop with football also in the picture, but he has a ton of upside as a speedster with plus power potential.

The Blue Jays have simply purchased rights to him as a baseball player. They aren't guaranteed anything. He can go pro in another sport.

The Blue Jays have simply purchased rights to him as a baseball player. They aren't guaranteed anything. He can go pro in another sport.

Does double-slot seem like a lot of money for a guy who's going to play football?

Does double-slot seem like a lot of money for a guy who's going to play football?

I believe it can be paid out in increments over five years, so not really a big deal I wouldn't think.

I believe it can be paid out in increments over five years, so not really a big deal I wouldn't think.

That definitely reframes it. I'd have to take a closer look to figure out if I think it's money well-spent (but my definition of money-well-spent is hardly definitive).

That definitely reframes it. I'd have to take a closer look to figure out if I think it's money well-spent (but my definition of money-well-spent is hardly definitive).

Well, it gives you first shot at him if he ends up likeing baseball more than football. It also keeps him away from any other team when he would otherwise be draft eligible again. I don't know the monitary value of those things.