Belkast

For what it's worth part 2....

Can anyone explain how Ethier is so much better than Murton-----you cannot put him in the Bedard trade in my opinion.

He may not be better than Murton, but that doesn't mean he can't be part of a deal for Bedard. Kershaw, LaRoche, and Ethier would be good, add Hu/Elbert/McDonald, and it's great imo.

This thread is already on a dozen topics anyway so I will ask a question I've been wanting to for some time.

We always talk about three-way deals but how often does it happen in MLB? I can't remember a time when it has.

Well I guess teams get a player and then send him elsewhere, but when was the last time a legitimate three team deal went down.

Edit: Well as I write this I remember the rumors last year about Oswalt going from the Astros to the Orioles to the Rangers, so I guess it does/can happen.

It hardly ever happens. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that you can count on one hand the number of three way trades that have happened in MLB in the past 10 years.

However, you don't have enough hairs on your head to match the amount of 3 way trades that have been proposed on this board in the year.

He may not be better than Murton, but that doesn't mean he can't be part of a deal for Bedard. Kershaw, LaRoche, and Ethier would be good, add Hu/Elbert/McDonald, and it's great imo.

Yeah, but give me Kemp first or or 2 of Hu/Elbert/McDonald,---2 of these is far better than Ethier when Murten is available at far less cost.

It hardly ever happens. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that you can count on one hand the number of three way trades that have happened in MLB in the past 10 years.

However, you don't have enough hairs on your head to match the amount of 3 way trades that have been proposed on this board in the year by SG.

Fixed that for you.:D
  • Upvote 1

Can anyone explain how Ethier is so much better than Murton-----you cannot put him in the Bedard trade in my opinion.

Both Ethier and Murton are very good young mid-800ish OPS OFs that would look great in the O's lineup.

Both are also being overshadowed by younger, flashier teammates (Kemp, Pie).

The notion that Ethier is somehow not good enough to be a part of a Bedard trade is utter nonsense.

Yeah, but give me Kemp first or or 2 of Hu/Elbert/McDonald,---2 of these is far better than Ethier when Murten is available at far less cost.

Kemp doesn't equal Ethier in terms of trade value, nor does 2 of Hu/Elbert/McDonald equal Ethier in trade value. Ethier has less value in both cases. So while I agree that I'd take those options over Ethier, I don't think what you lay out is our actual choice.

No. From all accounts I've heard (coaches, players, even reporters), he's a good teammate and cares about the team and winning. I also heard that he was great at the ESPN Zone Q&A this Fall. With Bedard, its pretty much just a dislike for the media, but he's not "grumpy and mean" like everyone seems to want to think.

I'd seriously question that. Last season, he had the same injury that Guthrie had. Guthrie stayed with the team, rehabbed the injury, and made it back to pitch at the end of the season. Bedard... went home. The season before, Bedard was out far longer than expected with an injury. I tend to doubt his commitment to the O's and his teammates.

Perhaps we'll see this madness end with something like this...Bedard, Tejada and (?) for Kemp, Hu, Kershaw and Broxton. Could you live with that?

Perhaps we'll see this madness end with something like this...Bedard, Tejada and (?) for Kemp, Hu, Kershaw and Broxton. Could you live with that?

What, no LaRoche?

If the (?) is a moderate prospect, non-roster minor league player like (off the top of my head) Davis or Tripp (or less) I think so.

That would also seem to suggest we might get something fairly satisfactory back for Brian Roberts, too, but...

What, no LaRoche?

I hear you, but those are three or four potential all-stars that will be the core of the team for some time, for a pitcher LA might not resign in two years and a guy just starting on the downward slope who might go elsewhere after two years too.

According to BA (yes, I know), Kershaw is their #1 prospect and Hu #3. They project Kershaw as the team's ace in 2011, and Kemp and Hu as starting at CF and SS respectively. (Don't forget that DEFENSE UP THE MIDDLE!) They say Kershaw has the best fastball in the system.

I'd rather have LaRoche than Broxton, but I could live with that. I would like to also get back a 2nd baseman in the deal if we are dealing Roberts. LA has three that all can't play the position at once, so we should be able to get one back...

I'd rather have LaRoche than Broxton, but I could live with that. I would like to also get back a 2nd baseman in the deal if we are dealing Roberts. LA has three that all can't play the position at once, so we should be able to get one back...

I agree. Replace Broxton with LaRoche and you have a deal. Also kind of depends who the "?" is.

Switch out Broxton with LaRoche and fill ? with Payton and I would do it. I could live with that package though.

Could Bedard, Tejada, and Payton for Kershaw, Hu, Broxton, LaRoche, and Ethier work? I not as high as on Kemp than others here.