Belkast

For what it's worth part 2....

I think it is safe to say that what he is saying is true.

This part of the thread was inspired by Sonny76, the insider most careful with his statements and the one who called Perlozzo's dismissal to the day weeks in advance.

It might not happen, but it was suggested by a credible source and is a 3-4 trade with our third person still unidentified. Not to be cavalierly dismissed.

The way Colletti has talked, I think they want to keep Loaiza. At least they'd prefer him to Pierre.

I'd take back whichever they want to dump on us though.

The deal better be special for us to take back Pierre...His contract and performance is not worth it in most cases.

And of course he would rather get rid of Pierre than Loaiza. I would rather trade Gibbons for LaRoche and Kemp than Bedard but that isn't happening either.

This part of the thread was inspired by Sonny76, the insider most careful with his statements and the one who called Perlozzo's dismissal to the day weeks in advance.

It might not happen, but it was suggested by a credible source and is a 3-4 trade with our third person still unidentified. Not to be cavalierly dismissed.

What does this have to do with anything about what is being said or the post you quoted me on?

What does this have to do with anything about what is being said or the post you quoted me on?

TV said the 3-4 deal with Broxton was not real. You agreed. This whole discussion was generated by Sonny76 bringing up that possibility a few pages back. Note 385.

IMO - I would rather take Mcdonald and Meloan because of their upside' date=' we need as many picture as possible and it's possible to turn one of them into a Closer (Liz?)[/quote']I can't decide which I like better. Although I'm not sure if even matters, The Dodgers really want to keep Broxton, so I think they'd part with both of these guys before Broxton. At the very least one of them and another prospect.

I don't see why we'd be in love with Broxton. He has a couple of years in already. I'd rather have Laroche, who has not even a year and yet has superb offensive numbers throughout his minor league career.

Broxton might be a good trading chip later in the year, but I'd prefer a player with less than a year's service time.

I don't see why we'd be in love with Broxton. He has a couple of years in already. I'd rather have Laroche, who has not even a year and yet has superb offensive numbers throughout his minor league career.

Broxton might be a good trading chip later in the year, but I'd prefer a player with less than a year's service time.

IMO - That's why they are talking about including tejada so they can get LaRoche back - For Bedard we may be talking about Kemp, Hu, Mcdonald, Meloan

IMO - That's why they are talking about including tejada so they can get LaRoche back - For Bedard we may be talking about Kemp' date=' Hu, Mcdonald, Meloan[/quote']

I think Miggy helps us get Kemp and Kershaw in the same deal.

BTW, I never said Broxton was a must. I said I hoped he would be among a group of prospects from which I'd take two.

Broxton is really getting dissed in this thread. We spoke last winter about how much value Chris Ray might have given his quality 2006 season and how far he was from free agency. And certainly we spoke of Ray have more value than someone like Hu - someone barely inside his league Top 20. Broxton is in nearly the same boat performance-wise, IMO - just without the saves.

If you want to share your opinion, we'd all like to hear it. That's what we are here for.

When you share "facts", please make sure they are not your opinion.

Well, nothing is really "factual" here. It's all speculation, whether it's by a message board, a reporter or an insider. Unless Andy MacPhail starts posting around here, we're all making educated (and sometimes uneducated) guesses.

I've heard numerous times that Kemp and Kershaw will not be in the same deal.

The Orioles need a closer, and I think they probably see him in that role.

We need a lot of things. Closer isn't at the top of the list. I'd rather have a young hitter who will bash the ball for 6 years than a closer who will pitch for 4.

I think Miggy helps us get Kemp and Kershaw in the same deal.

BTW, I never said Broxton was a must. I said I hoped he would be among a group of prospects from which I'd take two.

Broxton is really getting dissed in this thread. We spoke last winter about how much value Chris Ray might have given his quality 2006 season and how far he was from free agency. And certainly we spoke of Ray have more value than someone like Hu - someone barely inside his league Top 20. Broxton is in nearly the same boat performance-wise, IMO - just without the saves.

Broxton is MUCH better than Chris Ray.

I don't think it would be a stretch to call Broxton the NL's Papelbon...
I don't think so either. Papelbon has been a bit better, and obviously has the much higher national exposure and playoff performance, but is 3 years older. Both are nasty.

Here's a quick comparion:

Papelbon

2006 - Age 25 - 68.1 IP - 0.92 ERA - 9.88 K/9 - 1.71 BB/9 - 0.78 WHIP

2007 - Age 26 - 58.1 IP - 1.85 ERA - 12.96 K/9 - 2.31 BB/9 - 0.77 WHIP

Broxton

2006 - Age 22 - 76.1 IP - 2.59 ERA - 11.44 K/9 - 3.89 BB/9 - 1.23 WHIP

2007 - Age 23 - 82.0 IP - 2.85 ERA - 10.87 K/9 - 2.74 BB/9 - 1.15 WHIP

Adjusting for league/park puts Papelbon's performance even a bit more ahead of Broxton, but Broxton is not far behind and is 3 years older. Broxton is absolutely nasty and incredibly valuable.