gallden

Os acquire Saunders.

I'm going Tuesday and Thursday but can swap if necessary. They said he was supposed to start today for Arizona before being traded so I doubt they would push him back more than two days.

He would also help against the White Sox with Dunn and Pierzynski both lefthanded.

Edited by section18

I can understand the value of acquiring Saunders....but I wish it had been for Gregg instead of Lindstrom. I would have thrown some cash toward the D-Backs to get that one done.

Gregg has a 4.72 ERA and Lindstrom has a 2.72 ERA. Gregg makes about $870,000 per month and Lindstrom makes about $600,000 per month. Lindstrom is clearly better than Gregg. Saunders is making about 1 million per month. They said Arizona is adding cash to the deal so they are probably paying the Orioles the $400,000 difference. After Lindstrom came back from his injury he seemed different. He always looked mad and didn't pitch the same. When he came out of Saturday nights game after giving up the two run homer in the 9th he flipped the ball to Wieters before Buck got to the mound and walked off the mound. As soon as I saw that I thought he's gone in a deal before Saturday. I think he still wants to close games and was not being given that opportunity here. Putz has been doing the closing for Arizona and has 26 saves. He'll probably get more chances to close there. We can replace him.

Arizona now has Albers, Bergesen, Hernandez and Lindstrom. Interesting we seem to deal with Texas and Arizona a lot. Two of Buck's former teams. AM always liked his former team the Cubs..

Thanks for the information about the starters for the first three games this week

Edited by section18

Plus, when was Lindstrom being used in pressure situations late in ballgames? Rarely, lately, because of Ayala, Strop, O'Day, Johnson, and more recently Patton. He was expendable, and he's further expendable now because Saunders can give you innings thereby decreasing the chance that you'll use Lindstrom. Plus the rosters are expanding and the club will have more than enough relievers to keep the late inning guys fresh.
The O's were 15-19 in the games Lindstrom pitched. He wasn't used a lot in games where the O's had the lead. I have little doubt that Arrieta can fill his role. Just think how David Hernandez looked much better in the bullpen. That's what I expect from Arrieta.

My problem is why Lindstrom say, as opposed to Ayala? Inherited runners scored % is more than double for Ayala than that of Lindstrom. I have no idea the reason why Ayala was the choice over Lindstrom in close games. His stuff isn't as good so to me it's pretty obvious it's a contract dump. Not sure that's a good move when you're team is trying to make a push to the playoffs. And please stop suggesting Gregg was who we should have traded. You can't give him away right now. Maybe they do think that collectively between Arrieta, Hunter and whomever they get someone to step right in.

I'm meh with Saunders. He may very well help right now. I just think we traded the wrong guy.

You gotta love this board sometimes. When Guthrie was originally traded for Hammel and Lindstrom, people were crapping all over that trade and saying how Lindstrom was no good. Now Lindstrom has basically been traded for another Guthrie and people are crapping all over the trade, complaining about how valuable and good Lindstrom is.

Have to admit, I was a bit bummed by the Guthrie trade. Did not know Lindstrom or Hammel, but did not like losing the 200 IP SP. Not worried about Lindstrom's loss for Saunders.....this is a "inches" move that is well over-due. Not one of 2011's playoff teams had a rotation without a 200 IP starter (would say the average was 2.5 kids per). Hope the O's Buck the trend yet again!

One thing I haven't seen said is the possibility that the Orioles are concerned about the health of their starters and want some insurance. Sure, it's great if Hammel comes back and you have Johnson and Britton in the wings. But what if Hammels hits a hiccup, innings start to catch up to Chen, and Gonzalez starts to tire? Deep depth is important. Arrietta and Bundy out of the pen can make up for Lindstrom.

Not one current Orioles SP candidate on the roster has ever pitched 200 innings. Not one...for that alone I'll take Saunders every day of the week. He's a southpaw, grew up watching the O's, can throw 200 IP, has pitched in the postseason, been an all-star and most likely will be needed.

You can never have enough arms. He's a veteran, didn't cost us much, Lindstrom is replaceable. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 6 man rotation. Hammel, Chen, Saunders, Gonzales, Tillman, Britton. Would allow them to give a day or two extra rest for them all.

Joseph Saunders ‏@J_saundo

...great memories at Camden Yards as a kid where my love of the game started watching Cal Ripkin lead the American league @RipkenBaseball

Very cool. Maybe he will accept arbitration during the off-season to stay in Baltimore, pitch for his childhood team and be back closer to his home and family and, oh yeah, stay on a winning team!

We can at least hope right? If we got him on the cheap next year with arbo as a back end of the rotation guy, with a healthy Hammel, Chen, Wada, Gonzo, Tillman etc, Johnson, a year stronger and healthier Britton and who knows, maybe a big time FA signing that wants to now come be apart of something, we would have some SICK starting pitching depth.

As we've seen this year, you can NEVER have enough quality starting pitching. I just went from 6 to midnight thinking about the possibilities of next year :)

I like the trade. Helps the O's rotation get through Sept.

There is no guarantee that Hammel comes back on the 6th. And he needs to pitch in a 6 man rotation to be effective.

Gonzo is already 30 innings over any year he has pitched since his arm surgery.

This keeps Hunter out of the rotation which is a plus.

I would project Saunder to pitch in the the high 4.00's in the AL East which is not great but is better then Hunter, Matusz or Arrieta in the rotation.

The O's were a tired arm or injury away from putting Hunter back in the rotation. Sept is a real test for young arms. That is why Saunders in a decent move IMO

Lindstrom is replacable and was probably trade bait over the winter with his high salary. The rotation needed more help than the pen.

I don't think Saunders will be an Oriole in 2013. Strictly a move to make a run at the playoffs IMO.

I think the O's tried to sign Saunders this winter but his price got too high. Has some local ties and grew up an O's fan. Sat next to his parents once when he was pitching for the Angels. They were nice people and root for the O's when Saunders is not pitching against them. Did we not say the same thing about Hammel when he came to the AL East to pitch? Hammel will get killed in the AL East. Saunders might get hit or might pitch well. We shall see.

Under the new rules, the O's wouldn't be able to get draft compensation because they acquired him in trade during the season.

Thanks - and also to McLovin. I think that's a good rule - mainly because the O's were so bad at using the old rules - especially compared to the rest of the AL East.

Keep in mind that Saunders put up his mediocre numbers in the weakest hitting division in baseball. Now he's moving to the best hitting division in baseball. Very careless move for the sake of making a move.

Who are the best hitting teams?

Rays? No

Blue Jays? No

Red sox? Traded them all away

Only the Yankees can hit in this division now.

There is no guarantee that Hammel comes back on the 6th. And he needs to pitch in a 6 man rotation to be effective.

I don't understand this part. Hammel was pitching just fine in a five-man rotation before his surgery.

Roch's got an interesting quote from a scout in his latest blog - http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/08/a-little-more-on-the-saunders-trade.html

"A scout from outside the organization believes that this trade signals how the Orioles are setting up their rotation for the postseason more so than making a run at the playoffs.

"I think that he has solid stuff across the board," the scout said. "What he really has is command and feel, and he competes. He's a solid four or five. I've seen him recently and I think he's a guy whose typical line is seven innings, three runs, six hits, one to two walks and five strikeouts. That's about who he is."

And -

""Saunders is a real good veteran guy who will help them to get there and will help them in the playoffs. You're going to pitch this guy ahead of (Zach) Britton, you're going to pitch him ahead of (Steve) Johnson, you're going to pitch him ahead of Tillman. Of course. Not that he has more upside than the other guys, but it's a really good move. And I like Lindstrom a lot. I think Lindstrom's a good seventh- and eighth-inning guy. But they have some depth, especially with (Pedro) Strop. That's where they had depth and that's to their advantage."

So, this is about the playoffs, not just the rest of the season. Interesting take and makes a lot of sense.