Tony-OH

Ravens/Eagles post game thoughts

I won't say the refs cost us the game. They did a poor job, but we lost that game and give some credit to the eagles defense, they won the game. Those guys get paid too.

This is what hurts. At the end of the game, all we had to do is stop them from driving 80 yards and scoring a TD. Not a FG, a TD. We didn't get the job done on defense. Then, all we had to do is get to where Tucker (money btw) can kick the game winning FG. Dude is probably good from 60. We didn't get the job done and their defense did. They out defensed us and as a Ravens fan that stings more than a little.

It's really early but I think Dean Pees really needs to get a handle on our defense. Rushing three and trying to have your secondary hold up with your starting strong safety out of the game isn't going to work. It was like watching a Greg Mattison defense. You have to get more creative than that! Pagano and Rex understood this. We have a very smart defensive general out on the field. If the blitz is going to get us burnt, he can change out of it. I've seen him do it. You have to send pressure from places that the offense does not expect. We have some guys that will do very well with this, but you gotta put the play in.

We got beat in three out of four phases of the game. Offense, defense, and coaching, we lost. We did really well on special teams. The refs didn't do us any favors, but it was a game we should have and could have won.

Let's go get the pats. Hint - rushing three against Brady isn't going to get the job done.

Uh...no...it won't. He will pick us apart.

Where were the corner/safety blitzes in the second half? Why do we not do more stunts to try to create some confusion up front?

We were handed a gift in this game. They turned the ball over 4 times. No way we should lose when that happens.

"Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion."

"Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line). "

The play that was over ruled of a fumble on vick on 2nd-goal at the 1 was obviously intentional grounding. That should have put them at the 21 yard line with 3rd and goal. Instead, it was from the 1 for a easy TD.

How can a professional referee miss that. It drives me crazy. I don't mind losing, but this victory was gift-wrapped to the eagles from the officials. And its driving me crazy

Considering the fact that I've wanted him gone for the last two years, no! Cam will always hold this team back. He's one of the worse mid-game adjustment coordinators in the league in my opinion and his determination to pass on 3rd and 4th and short is maddening.

Cam aggravates me tremendously, and like you, I have wanted him gone for years. That said, I no longer hold him accountable. Harbaugh knows what Cam is, and he wanted to keep him. Same with Ozzie. Same with Bisciotti. Cam is what he is....a terrible offensive coordinator, but its his bosses who I hold at fault here. You said it earlier Tony...its losses like this that keep us from having home field and getting to the Super Bowl. We have a VERY tough schedule this year...you gotta win games when you're up 10 at the half.

Even if the refs did cost us a touchdown! :cussing:

"Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion."

"Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line). "

The play that was over ruled of a fumble on vick on 2nd-goal at the 1 was obviously intentional grounding. That should have put them at the 21 yard line with 3rd and goal. Instead, it was from the 1 for a easy TD.

How can a professional referee miss that. It drives me crazy. I don't mind losing, but this victory was gift-wrapped to the eagles from the officials. And its driving me crazy

They don't.

But unfortunately the professional referees are sitting home watching the games just like we are!

Cam aggravates me tremendously, and like you, I have wanted him gone for years. That said, I no longer hold him accountable. Harbaugh knows what Cam is, and he wanted to keep him. Same with Ozzie. Same with Bisciotti. Cam is what he is....a terrible offensive coordinator, but its his bosses who I hold at fault here. You said it earlier Tony...its losses like this that keep us from having home field and getting to the Super Bowl. We have a VERY tough schedule this year...you gotta win games when you're up 10 at the half.

This is the biggest issue with this organization right now. From top to bottom, we refuse to hold coaches accountable. Harbs is constantly blabbing that the best player will always play based on performance but yet he cant hold the same standard up for his coaches because they are his friends. It's unacceptable!

As Harbs boss, Ozzie should be able to see this and bring this to his attention. But since Harbs has gotten us to the playoffs every year he's been here, his flaws are overlooked by the organization.

Also, Bisciotti stated that the reason Cam kept his job is because the offense has improved since he took over as the owner. If that's the standard he's using, then we are going to be stuck with Cam for a long time. In his time as owner, we have seen the following QB's: Boller, Anthony Wright, Troy Smith and Flacco.

I just dont see this organization waking up to the one thing that is holding us back from winning the Super Bowl....COACHING

They don't.

But unfortunately the professional referees are sitting home watching the games just like we are!

Yeah, seriously. Did you see where one of the replacement refs told LeSean McCoy that he needed him to have a good game for his fantasy team?

http://deadspin.com/5944158/ref-tells-lesean-mccoy-i-need-you-for-my-fantasy-team

I am beyond disgusted about how we handled our last drive with atleast 2 minutes on the clock , why were we trying too throw deep when we have Ray Rice and Leach to pound out those last 2 yards we needed for the 1st down. I was at the Cinci game and the no huddle worked perfect , and we saw it for 1 drive against Philly ???? I just don't understand Cam Cameron's play calling , like I haven't for the past 4 years

I have one glimmer of hope for Cam's 2012 offense: Maybe he just doesn't have the hang of the no huddle yet. A few more games might get this ironed out.

Because I have no idea where is went in the second half, but if they can get defenses with a passing package on the field while we have Leach/Rice in the backfield, this offense will thrive.

Figure it out!

Yeah, seriously. Did you see where one of the replacement refs told LeSean McCoy that he needed him to have a good game for his fantasy team?

http://deadspin.com/5944158/ref-tells-lesean-mccoy-i-need-you-for-my-fantasy-team

I was initially shocked and disgusted by that, but the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to think it was a poor attempt at a joke.

I think the larger concern is that refs are allowed to, and do not have to disclose, that they are playing in fantasy leagues (this goes for both the replacement refs and I believe the usual refs as well).

I was initially shocked and disgusted by that, but the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to think it was a poor attempt at a joke.

I think the larger concern is that refs are allowed to, and do not have to disclose, that they are playing in fantasy leagues (this goes for both the replacement refs and I believe the usual refs as well).

NFL came out and said they are investigating this, and that they aren't allowed to be in fantasy leagues according to NFL Live today.

Hmmm, I'm not really sure our defense as all that bad in the game. They site Cody, but...McCoy only had a 3.1 YPC. They ran away from the middle of our line a lot yesterday. And to hold Shady to 3.1 is really great. I was super impressed with the run defense all around. It's obvious the Ravens wanted to take away Vick's scramble too. Upshaw and McCllelan actually did a fantastic job setting the edge and are a bit underrated here I think for their performance this week. I was way more worried about run than pass. These guys setting the edge is huge, huge, huge.

I'm not worried about TE for next week, I'm guessing we see more 3-3-5 type looks where we see Webb covering Gronk a lot of the game. In fact we might even see some 3-4-4 (3 CBs with Reed playing deep) having Webb hanging around the box to defend the TE looks and using Kruger as a passrush, surprise TE pass defender if need be. I think Williams can hold down Lloyd deep honestly, and Smith can be efficient against the short/intermediate types. He just seems to lose his head when he's got to defend past 15 yards. NEP does not have McCoy, Jackson, Maclin, Celek type weapons at their offensive skill spots.

To me it's obvious why we don't get pass rush on certain downs. We've been flashing a ton of 2-4-5 looks this year. Upshaw/McClellan have not had the luxury of coming off the end next to Ngata. He's been playing a lot more in the DT type look when we go 2-4. And then G/C take Ngata. G takes Cody/Maake. Tackles and chippers can defend the ends. When the chip hasn't been on the Upshaw side we've seen him do decent with pressure. I think we need to stunt on the Ngata side of the rush more and put more pressure on the G/C combo trying to block Ngata. This was really really effective in the second half of the Bengals game.

Better yet think of this way, if you Ngata/McPhee next to each other with Upshaw on the outside threatening on a blitz there are a lot of combos you can use there to really confuse the offensive line, stunts, zone blitzes, etc. The Ravens need to stop wallowing in the fact that Suggs is gone and get creative without blitzing; the standard rush 4 in straight lines is not going to get it done for this team. I saw that way too much.

Jackson was essentially faster than we could cover, but other than that I don't think I saw anything that wasn't fixable, even with the pass rush. NEP (and really very few teams) have an equivalent for Jackson.

Hopefully Kruger's back gets better. We can use him as an edge rusher this week for sure.

Hmmm, I'm not really sure our defense as all that bad in the game. They site Cody, but...McCoy only had a 3.1 YPC. They ran away from the middle of our line a lot yesterday. And to hold Shady to 3.1 is really great. I was super impressed with the run defense all around. It's obvious the Ravens wanted to take away Vick's scramble too. Upshaw and McCllelan actually did a fantastic job setting the edge and are a bit underrated here I think for their performance this week. I was way more worried about run than pass. These guys setting the edge is huge, huge, huge.

I agree with this. The emergence of McClellan and Upsahw in this game make this a positive game, for portent, not the result. The offensive formula used against the Ravens (dictating zone coverage) is not something another QB (with the possible exception of RGIII) can execute. Beyond that, Vick was dropped 11 times and was still throwing strikes. Sometimes it's about the other team's players and this game was one of those.

I see references above to pass rush numbers and coverages on the big plays. I have some detailed breakdowns here:

http://russellstreetreport.com/filmstudy-13-plays-that-would-haunt-the-ravens/

http://russellstreetreport.com/filmstudy-defensive-analysis-v-eagles/

• Upvote 1

Buck & DD >>> Harbaugh & Ozz

Dumb statement ... The Ravens are good every year in case you haven't noticed. This is the 1st in 14 that the Orioles matter at all.