paulcoates

Shohei Otani

Apparently Nippon Ham intends to draft Otani today, which would give them exclusive rights through the end of March. So even if Otani has no intention of signing with them, this would delay his ability to sign with a MLB team. According to the article, Otani had declared himself eligible for the NPB draft before deciding to sign with an MLB team.

http://www.npbtracker.com/2012/10/report-nippon-ham-intends-to-draft-otani/

Edited by Nigel Tufnel

Apparently Nippon Ham intends to draft Otani today, which would give them exclusive rights through the end of March. So even if Otani has no intention of signing with them, this would delay his ability to sign with a MLB team. According to the article, Otani had declared himself eligible for the NPB draft before deciding to sign with an MLB team.

http://www.npbtracker.com/2012/10/report-nippon-ham-intends-to-draft-otani/

The agreement evidently reads under contract. I am unsure how Nippon drafting him would constitute him being under contract.

The agreement evidently reads under contract. I am unsure how Nippon drafting him would constitute him being under contract.

Does that mean the team is basically setting themselves up to get a posting fee for his services?

Does that mean the team is basically setting themselves up to get a posting fee for his services?

I think they want to sign him. They picked a guy last year that said before the draft he would only play for the Yomiuri Giants. I guess their FO likes high risk types, kinda like how the Nats operate in the draft.

My understanding is that, if drafted by the NPB, he will simply not sign there. The only effect will be a delay of a few months before he becomes eligible to MLB teams.

Not to be picky in general, and not to pick on you, but it's Nippon Ham, not Nippon. Japanese teams are owned by corporations, and Nippon Ham is a meat packer. They don't have ham fighters, even in Japan.

Sorry, couldn't resist, but it is the offseason...

Not to be picky in general, and not to pick on you, but it's Nippon Ham, not Nippon. Japanese teams are owned by corporations, and Nippon Ham is a meat packer. They don't have ham fighters, even in Japan.

Sorry, couldn't resist, but it is the offseason...

Yes, I am aware. If I had called them the Ham Fighters I would expect correction, maybe even ridicule. All I am guilty of in this instance is the same combination of expediency and laziness that causes me to call the football team in Washington the Skins instead of the Redskins.

Shohei Otani was drafted Thursday by the Nippon-Ham Fighters of Nippon Professional Baseball.

Otani made it known this past weekend that he intends to sign with a major league team this winter, but Japan's top league is not going to let him go that easily. The 18-year-old right-hander must now break from tradition and decline a spot in Nippon-Ham's organization. He'd be the first player to ever jump from a Japanese high school to the professional ranks in the United States. The Red Sox, Dodgers and Rangers are known to have interest.

Source: Ben Badler on Twitter Oct 25 - 8:46 AM

When I read the BA article-it appears that they don't think that the international spending cap will be much of a detterant to teams giving him what he wants. There is no draft pick penalties with the international spending cap. I don't know if this is actually the case, just reporting what I read.

Shohei Otani was drafted Thursday by the Nippon-Ham Fighters of Nippon Professional Baseball.

Otani made it known this past weekend that he intends to sign with a major league team this winter, but Japan's top league is not going to let him go that easily. The 18-year-old right-hander must now break from tradition and decline a spot in Nippon-Ham's organization. He'd be the first player to ever jump from a Japanese high school to the professional ranks in the United States. The Red Sox, Dodgers and Rangers are known to have interest.

Source: Ben Badler on Twitter Oct 25 - 8:46 AM

Does anybody have any information on how contract law differs in Japan than the US? In America, I don't believe Otani would be at all restricted by being drafted by the Nippon-Ham Fighters, as that is simply an offer by them for him to play. In order for it to be binding in any manner, Otani would have to accept said offer. Therefore, I believe he could decline it and move forward at any time he chooses.

Is there some sort of statute of limitations for the offer? For example, if he doesn't act on it by March, then the offer is void? Why can he not simply forgo that process altogether and decline?

Does anybody have any information on how contract law differs in Japan than the US? In America, I don't believe Otani would be at all restricted by being drafted by the Nippon-Ham Fighters, as that is simply an offer by them for him to play. In order for it to be binding in any manner, Otani would have to accept said offer. Therefore, I believe he could decline it and move forward at any time he chooses.

Is there some sort of statute of limitations for the offer? For example, if he doesn't act on it by March, then the offer is void? Why can he not simply forgo that process altogether and decline?

It is my understanding that being drafted in Japan in no way prevents him from signing with a MLB team at any time.

Per mlbtraderumors the NPA and MLB have an agreement that will prevent him signing until after March since he was drafted.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/otani-fujinami-selected-in-npb-draft.html

That agreement is, apparently, only a "gentlemen's agreement" and has not been formally documented because it may violate US Antitrust Law.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/sports/T121022002644.htm

I highly doubt any MLB team will want to backstab Japan by signing this kid, thus ruining all relations we have with them. Bud probably won't allow it anyway.

I think he stays put.