fewfirstchoice

Reds pushing for Bedard hard?

He'll start the season either on the DL or suspended.
Whenever he comes back. If he's not off to a hot start, I'd just cut him, or try and send him to Norfolk.

I do not know if this has already been put up, but this was on Roch's blog this morning:

"The Sports Casters in Cincinnati are acting like Bedard is on his way to the queen city. They have already interviewing players that could be involved in trades. They don't seem to happy about it.

I've seen most the players play live involved in the trade. Joey Votto is ready to start every day at first. Josh Hamilton has a good bat and solid but room for improvement on defense. He's also a really nice guy from what I hear.

Homer Bailey and or Jay Bruce are at least a year away from making the 25 man roster. Bailey is still really young. He reminds me a lot of Hayden Penn. He's got good breaking stuff but his fastball will rarely touch 90.

I think Joey Votto is going to be a star and is underappreciated in this possible trade. Since the Orioles haven't had a good hitting first baseman since Raffy, I think this is more of a priority than Bruce.

Posted by: Scott G in KY | December 19, 2007 1:15 AM"

The O's talked about sending Gibbons down last season and it was reported he can refuse. I do not see PA eating his contract.

I guess we will only have 3 spots on the bench then. That would be a big waste:rolleyes:

I do not know if this has already been put up, but this was on Roch's blog this morning:

"The Sports Casters in Cincinnati are acting like Bedard is on his way to the queen city. They have already interviewing players that could be involved in trades. They don't seem to happy about it.

I've seen most the players play live involved in the trade. Joey Votto is ready to start every day at first. Josh Hamilton has a good bat and solid but room for improvement on defense. He's also a really nice guy from what I hear.

Homer Bailey and or Jay Bruce are at least a year away from making the 25 man roster. Bailey is still really young. He reminds me a lot of Hayden Penn. He's got good breaking stuff but his fastball will rarely touch 90.

I think Joey Votto is going to be a star and is underappreciated in this possible trade. Since the Orioles haven't had a good hitting first baseman since Raffy, I think this is more of a priority than Bruce.

This is from today's edition of the Cincinnati Enquirer. It is reporting that no trade is close to happening with the O's for Bedard. http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20071219/SPT04/712190359/

As Mackus said, since we aren't getting Pie I would ask the Cubs to add in Cedeno to the trade....

Roberts for Gallager, Murton, Patterson, and Cedeno...I think that would be a pretty good trade IF Patterson can play second. Patterson if he can play 2nd is definitely a longterm option there and should be a very good offensive second baseman, which is a distinct advantage. Also Cedeno may be more of a question both offensively and longterm but we could do much worse at SS this year and if he progresses he's another potential longterm answer.

Maybe add a small piece to get Cedeno thrown in.

Add in Payton and $3-4M (Payton by himself doesn't add value, but Payton on the cheap would) and I think thats a realistic deal.

This is from today's edition of the Cincinnati Enquirer. It is reporting that no trade is close to happening with the O's for Bedard. http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20071219/SPT04/712190359/

I noticed that one of the commenters popinted out that trades are more likely to happen when Krivsky goes quiet.

On the subject of a possible trade with Seattle, I just came across this on a Mariners blog from the middle of Clement's absolutely torrid June of last year, and it has me a little worried. It's the writer's recounting of a conversation he had with a scout:

Essentially, here’s what he said - Clement’s bat is still slow, and those same concerns about his abilities from April and May (”can’t get around on fastballs on the inner half, chases pitches up in the zone, and is only effective when he knows he’s getting a fastball from a guy who can’t get it up there faster than 92″) are still true. I was pretty surprised at this answer, honestly, and pressed him for how he explained Clement tearing apart the PCL the last month if he had a slow bat. His answer, somewhat paraphrased:

“He’s destroying soft-tossing left-handers who don’t have major league stuff. I don’t care if he can hit the ball over the wall against guys who won’t ever see the majors - I want to see him get around on a major league fastball. Look at his numbers - they’ll back me up on this.”

And the numbers do seem to back him up. There's also a lot of talk around that Clement may not be up to catching at the Major League level.

I had wondered what Bavasi was thinking if he was willing to trade a top catching prospect when the incumbent is a guy who's 31 and whose numbers have been declining for three years. But maybe the Mariners have simply soured on the guy.

• Upvote 1

The idea that Bailey will "rarely touch 90" is absurd.

I noticed that one of the commenters popinted out that trades are more likely to happen when Krivsky goes quiet.

On the subject of a possible trade with Seattle, I just came across this on a Mariners blog from the middle of Clement's absolutely torrid June of last year, and it has me a little worried. It's the writer's recounting of a conversation he had with a scout:

And the numbers do seem to back him up. There's also a lot of talk around that Clement may not be up to catching at the Major League level.

I had wondered what Bavasi was thinking if he was willing to trade a top catching prospect when the incumbent is a guy who's 31 and whose numbers have been declining for three years. But maybe the Mariners have simply soured on the guy.

Not being sold on Clement is why I prefer the Reds deal. Of course, if we've already lined-up someone to flip him to, it's irrelevant.

Realistically, what do we think we will get for Bedard from the Reds if we trade with them. Myself, I don't think they end up giving up Bruce in the deal. I think the best we can do is Votto and Cueto and a minor leager.

Realistically, what do we think we will get for Bedard from the Reds if we trade with them. Myself, I don't think they end up giving up Bruce in the deal. I think the best we can do is Votto and Cueto and a minor leager.

I think the Reds will *probably* part with Cueto/Bailey, Votto and Hamilton. Otherwise, I think we'd be better off keeping Bedard.

Eric Bedard is worth a teams TOP prospect. The O's should hold out as long as they can to see of they can get one in a deal.