VeveJones007

O's claim 2B/SS Alexi Casilla from Twins

Had a decent OBP in the Minors, never really got a full year worth of MLB experience, but his longest stint was mediocre. Seems to have an idea of the strike zone at least.

One of his pluses over Flaherty and Quintanilla is he's a phenomenal base stealer. 89% for his career. I'd wager to guess he's one of the best in the league among those with 75 or more attempts.

I like the move myself. It's another typical DD move that will go under the radar but if he can be decently consistent at the plate, with his defense and speed, he may turn out to be an improvement for us at 2B

It's the switch hitting Robert Andino!

He's coming off about a 2-win year, but that's almost totally based on his wildly out-of-character +15 fielding rating. Before he started channeling Bill Mazeroski he was basically Andino with a little more speed an a so-so glove.

• Upvote 1

Perfectly fine with the pickup, and he could take Andino's place. Good to have a sure-handed UTI infielder.

Dan Connolly

Dan Duquette says Casilla acquisition means he's not going to actively pursue another 2B. Club has him, Andino, Flaherty, Roberts right now

Don't like hearing that, though.

One of his pluses over Flaherty and Quintanilla is he's a phenomenal base stealer. 89% for his career. I'd wager to guess he's one of the best in the league among those with 75 or more attempts.

But he only attempts 23 steals per 150 games. So 21 steals and 2 caught means he's creating about 5-6 runs per full season on the basepaths. And he never plays anything like a full season. I guess it would be nice to have an Andino with a bit more basestealing ability.

Had a decent OBP in the Minors, never really got a full year worth of MLB experience, but his longest stint was mediocre. Seems to have an idea of the strike zone at least.

Yea, but he hit .296 with a 0.075 ISO in the minors. So when his batting average fell off 45 points and MLB realized he couldn't hit a ball 350 feet his walk rate and OBP kind of plunged.

Perfectly fine with the pickup, and he could take Andino's place. Good to have a sure-handed UTI infielder.

Don't like hearing that, though.

Other then Keppinger there was noone that made sense anyway. So they are saying that they'd rather go into next year with Roberts, Andino, Flaherty, Casilla, Schoop, and Kelly at the cost they are then to put the money out there that it'll cost for Keppinger.

It's an excellent pick up IMO. Good fielding, switch hitter with base stealing speed. The best part is that the Orioles did not have to give up anything. I'm good with Casilla joining Roberts, Andino, and Flaherty in the second base derby next spring.

Batting comps through age 27 had two previous Orioles. Jerry Hairston and Harold Reynolds. Not that batting comps are worth much I still thought this was interesting.