Roll Tide

Orioles talking to Uehara about return

This is an article from a few days back, at the GM Meetings, but it also indicates that the Brewers have interest as well. Below are the snippets pertaining to Uehara specifically and the clubs involved, which I've translated from Japanese.

Source article: Yomiuri Online

On the other hand, Rangers FA pitcher Koji Uehara (37) is being courted by the Brewers, who this year twice missed out on the division title due to a slumping bullpen. What's more, with the Rangers camp working on an offer to keep him, competition has begun for Uehara ahd his 1.75 ERA.
The Brewers have been repeatedly making overtures to Uehara. "We've gotten in touch with his agent already. We're considering him for both closer and setup," said GM Melvin.
His former team, the Orioles, is also being pro-active. GM Duquette had this to say of Uehara, whom maintains his residence in Baltimore, "Coach Showalter and the club staff all reflect fondly on that time when he was with us. We will of course be considering him; he's a player that merits that at the least."
GM Daniels remarked, "It's quite understandable why all of the clubs are showing interest." They've already determined within the organization to make an offer to retain him.
Edited by CompuCoach

Originally Posted by Yomiuri

His former team, the Orioles, is also being pro-active. GM Duquette had this to say of Uehara, whom maintains his residence in Baltimore, "Coach Showalter and the club staff all reflect fondly on that time when he was with us. We will of course be considering him; he's a player that merits that at the least."

So basically, the O's are showing a cursory look in regards to Uehara, out of respect? Hmmm, add Uehara to the list of guys that the O's won't be spending on.

And once again, thats all I can do, since i'm not in the FO. When they physically sign a guy I said they wouldn't, then you can rub it in my face all you want ;). Deal?

You don't have to guess at all.

What you're doing is akin to me getting upset at Wei-Yin Chen for having a bad season next year.

• Upvote 1

What you're doing is akin to me getting upset at Wei-Yin Chen for having a bad season next year.

I don't think it's quite that extreme. On the contrary, this year all of MLB well have additional revenue at their disposal. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that this team increases payroll similar to that of team like St. Louis who spends their money wisely. A $110 mil payroll with four guys over $10 per year but not really a bad contract amongst them and that includes Berkman who was hurt last year.

We already have an increase due to all the arb eligible players, but that doesn't preclude a FA upgrade at reasonable price.

So as a fan, I can't speculate or guess which players my favorite team is going to sign?

I'm a little confused about your Chen comment. Explain further please.

So as a fan, I can't speculate or guess which players my favorite team is going to sign?

You are not speculating, you are making declarations.

If you had said "I do not think that he is someone that they will be spending money on." You probably wouldn't have received any flak.

• Upvote 1

You are not speculating, you are making declarations.

If you had said "I do not think that he is someone that they will be spending money on." You probably wouldn't have received any flak.

So basically, the O's are showing a cursory look in regards to Uehara, out of respect? Hmmm, add Uehara to the list of guys that the O's won't be spending on.

I thought the question mark at the end would show it was a question, not a definite. The comment that followed, was if the bolded part is actually what has occured.

You're just coming off as if you've already predetermined that this offseason is going to be a failure. Just seems a little unfair to judge "your favorite teams" offseason when we still have 4-1/2 months until opening day.

I don't know. I think it's typical GM-speak. He's interested, but won't necessarily reveal to what extent.

The article cites them as one of three teams expressing interest to Uehara's agent. If I remember correctly, he let on that he wanted to come back to the Orioles before the start of this past season. He also apparently has a home in the area. Between his affinity for the team, the area, and perhaps the chance to have someone like Wada as a teammate, there could be some room for compromise on his end.