Ooooooohhhh!!!!

Astronomy, Cosmology, and Telescopes

For anyone interested the Geminid meteor shower is tonight. It it focused around the constellation Gemini (imagine that) which is to the east. Viewing Tips

This is an interesting side note which I just realized. For anyone who's seen the movie Face Off the two antagonist brothers' names are Castor and Pollux Troy. Castor and Pollux are the two brightest stars in the constellation Gemini. I just did some reading and Castor and Pollux are the twins who the constellation is named after. The things we learn...

That's pretty scary. That thing would do some serious damage. Sounds like it would completely annihilate all of Baltimore if it hit in the middle of the city. I'm sure the effects would be felt for hundreds of miles beyond that.

I've seen some shows on this before. It seems like a crazy idea, but obvioulsy it has some legs. The amount of computing power it would taking is mind numbing.

Those are some amazing images.

There have been some clear nights lately and I resumed my search for the Andromeda galaxy. I think I starhopped to the right area, but I was having trouble with my telescope. Every so often the image would get blurry or faint or black. I think I saw one of the small galaxies next to Andromeda though. It was a small, blurry area that had the look of a galaxy. Hopefully I'll get some better looks soon.

Proton collider to be hibernated for two years. Has already made many discoveries but will be much more powerful when it's back online.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20130105/DA3JN5EG1.html

The LHC is such an incredible machine. It appears to have discovered the Higgs and once they power up again they are hoping to get some insight into dark matter. It'll be a long two years.

Another article

I got some new eyepieces for my telescope for Christmas and tested some of them out the other night. I mainly looked around Orion. The highlight was seeing the Orion nebula for the first time as well as the stars know as the Trapezium. When I first saw the nebula I said out loud "holy **** that's awesome!" If it's clear tonight I'm taking the telescope out.

One problem I had the other night was with the telescope shaking. It was okay while I was focusing, but when I took my hand away it shook and lost focus a little. That's a pain when trying to look at something with texture like Jupiter. I need to do some research into how to fix that.

Mine shakes a lot too...just gonna happen. Mine is also on the deck a lot so that doesnt help. The Orion Nebula looks like a cloud in my scope...what does it look like in yours?

I need to figure something out because I'm not getting clear images. It's really annoying. The Orion nebula looks likes a cloud in mine as well, but there is clear definition. It's not just a milky cloud. That's why I thought it was so cool. Something like this I think:

M42_DSIPro_040707.jpg

My daughter just turned three and she loves everything space. I took her to the space museum and science museum and she loves it. I was looking at getting a nice telescope and maybe learning about it myself. Any good recommendations for telescopes and where? I got here a lady bug that has all the constellations on it and it lights up to the ceiling but maybe a good website or two so I can study up :) Thanks in advance.

I need to figure something out because I'm not getting clear images. It's really annoying. The Orion nebula looks likes a cloud in mine as well, but there is clear definition. It's not just a milky cloud. That's why I thought it was so cool. Something like this I think:

M42_DSIPro_040707.jpg

That's good....much better than what I can see in my telescope.

My daughter just turned three and she loves everything space. I took her to the space museum and science museum and she loves it. I was looking at getting a nice telescope and maybe learning about it myself. Any good recommendations for telescopes and where? I got here a lady bug that has all the constellations on it and it lights up to the ceiling but maybe a good website or two so I can study up :) Thanks in advance.

I got my scope from Orion Telescopes. They seem to have a very good reputation and I'm extremely happy with the scope I got.

Mine is an 8" Dobsonian reflector. It's fairly powerful for a starter scope. I wanted something I could use for a long time. Do you want something basic that's not too expensive or something a little more powerful?

That's good....much better than what I can see in my telescope.

I'll try and get my camera attachments set up so I can take some pictures. It's hard to remember and explain exactly how things look. I was pretty blow away by that nebula though.

• Upvote 1

I got my scope from Orion Telescopes. They seem to have a very good reputation and I'm extremely happy with the scope I got.

Mine is an 8" Dobsonian reflector. It's fairly powerful for a starter scope. I wanted something I could use for a long time. Do you want something basic that's not too expensive or something a little more powerful?

I'll try and get my camera attachments set up so I can take some pictures. It's hard to remember and explain exactly how things look. I was pretty blow away by that nebula though.

Thanks that helped I might go more with a computerized one so I can sound smart and start knowing in advance what I am seeing. Maybe something like this http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/GoTo-Computerized-Telescopes/Orion-StarBlast-6i-IntelliScope-Reflector-Telescope/pc/-1/c/1/sc/15/p/102026.uts