Ooooooohhhh!!!!

Astronomy, Cosmology, and Telescopes

I have adapters to connect my dad's camera to my scope. We tried taking some pictures of the moon, but we couldn't get the images in focus. Not sure why that was. I need to do some research.

Last night before I put my scope away I tried taking some pictures using my cell phone through the eyepiece. It's actually a viable method of taking pictures. They sell brackets that allow you to lock your phone in place in front of the eyepiece. Last night I did it all by hand, so the images are a bit blurry. I can do better. In these two pictures the curvature of the upper left corner is the edge of the eyepiece. The lower right is the shadow on the moon. If my math is correct this is 150x magnification.

20130220_211202_zpsbdd5c671.jpg

20130220_211220_zpsa8b42b99.jpg

• Upvote 2

Pretty cool. I love seeing the shadows on the craters.

It's nowhere near as cool without the shadows. They bring the moon to life. You get a real feel for how textured the surface of the moon really is. I'll try to get some better pictures for you all. I need to figure out the focusing problem with my dad's camera.

The International Space Station will be in view tonight. It'll be the brightest object in the sky aside from the moon, even brighter than Jupiter. Sounds like it'll be too fast to see using a telescope.

I just discovered that the ISS will be in view for a few nights. Tomorrow evening's forecast calls for rain which rules out a viewing. I also read that the ISS orbits the Earth 16 times per day. It's moving around 25,000 kph. I had no idea.

I wonder if binos will reveal any detail. It'll be hard to catch with a scope unless it's a really weak lens. Might give it a try.

Actually, sounds like it will barely crest over the horizon. Maybe not.

I was wondering about binoculars or high powered cameras. It's easy enough to give it a try if you have them. I have a 42mm eyepiece for my scope, but I think even that will make it too hard to find and track the ISS.

Here's a flyby website I came across earlier. (You can adjust the zip code if need be.) Wednesday looks like the best day. The ISS will be high in the sky and very bright.

Update: I got out and saw the ISS and it was impressive. At first I thought it was an airplane because it was moving so fast. It's incredibly bright and as I mentioned it moves incredibly fast. I can't imagine I have any chance of catching it in my telescope. What I thought was cool was that it didn't disappear over the horizon. Instead it appeared to slow down and get dimmer.

It looks like tomorrow it will be raining which kills any hope of seeing it again. Wednesday may be clear just after 6pm. If so it'll be the perfect night to see the ISS. It'll be almost directly overhead and extremely bright. It's only in the sky for a few minutes, so it's not like you have to stand outside for an hour. If anyone is interested in this kind of stuff it's worth checking it out.

Edited by Ooooooohhhh!!!!

The ISS will be visible again tonight if the weather cooperates and it should be even better than Monday. It'll start in the WNW at 6:14 and traverse almost directly overhead until it disappears around 6:18. It'll be easy to spot. It'll look like a really bright plane flying through the sky. Come on, Mother Nature, don't let us down!

The ISS will be visible again tonight if the weather cooperates and it should be even better than Monday. It'll start in the WNW at 6:14 and traverse almost directly overhead until it disappears around 6:18. It'll be easy to spot. It'll look like a really bright plane flying through the sky. Come on, Mother Nature, don't let us down!

I've been getting text alerts from NASA for several months now. I think I posted a link earlier. Anyways, last fall sometime, there was a good passover during work. I told a guy it was coming up and he was real interested. This guy is ... same age as me, and kind of senior in there, but he's a flibberdegibbet. Only way to describe him. He tells a bunch of people. So when the time comes there's like 8 or 10 of us outside watching! Was lucky it was a REALLY good one. Dead clear night, like a 4 minute flyby at like 60 degrees. SUPER f-in bright!

He's more phone techy, he finds these apps that show every passover (NASA only alerts me on the very best ones.) He has this app that has a compass function, two pointers show where it starts and ends in the sky. Also shows him a globe view. The sine wave looking path around the Earth. We see it here but the ISS is like over the Hudson Bay! 1000 miles away! The other night from the distance and angle I figured the ISS is right about 250 miles up. All us Letterkenny machinists are grooving on the Space Station!

Edited by scOtt
sinE wave... and with ALL this math I've studied!

And I missed that one Sunday night. Good weather, good pass. Got the alert that morning. About 7:30 I remembered it again... :P

I stumbled onto this page reading an article about Dan Duquette.

http://www.pasadenasun.com/news/jpl/

Awesome stuff. Good finds, Scott.

It's incredible that scientists can date the universe as accurately as they can (assuming they're correct). It's a testament to how advanced our technology has become. It was touched on briefly in the second link there, but all of these advances in cosmology are getting close to opening up the idea of multiple universes. It's been a theory for a while, but it really feels like we're being pushed in that direction.