Jump to content
OFFNY

Undefeated Buckeyes: Shades of Auburn in 1993

Recommended Posts

o

OFFNY said:
o

 

(TWO YEARS LATER)

 

With a 3rd-string quarterback, Ohio State hammered Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship Game by a score of 59-0 to vault themselves into the playoffs.

In the semifinal playoff, they defeated top-ranked Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

No Braxton Miller.

No J.T. Barrett.

Cardale Jones and company will take on Oregon for the title on January 12th in Arlington, TX.

 

o

OFFNY said:

o

 

Instant Classic: Is Enigmatic Ohio State Quarterback Cardale Jones About to Be a Footnote ... or an All-Time Great?

(By Matt Hinton)

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/college-football-championship-ohio-state-oregon-cardale-jones-legacy/

 

o

o

 

Oregon vs. Ohio State: Inside the Numbers

(Illustration My Samuel Ho)

 

What separates the two teams vying for the first national championship of the playoff era ???

ESPN.com goes inside the numbers to find out.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12142110/inside-numbers-oregon-ducks-ohio-state-buckeyes

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

o

OFFNY said:
o

 

(TWO YEARS LATER)

With a 3rd-string quarterback, Ohio State hammered Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship Game by a score of 59-0 to vault themselves into the playoffs.

In the semifinal playoff, they defeated top-ranked Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

No Braxton Miller.

No J.T. Barrett.

Cardale Jones and company will take on Oregon for the title on January 12th in Arlington, TX.

o

 

OFFNY said:

o

 

Instant Classic: Is Enigmatic Ohio State Quarterback Cardale Jones About to Be a Footnote ... or an All-Time Great?

(By Matt Hinton)

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/college-football-championship-ohio-state-oregon-cardale-jones-legacy/

 

o

o

 

2014 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

**********************************

 

OHIO STATE BUCKEYES lllllllllllllllllllllllllllll - 42

OREGON DUCKS llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll - 20

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

o

OFFNY said:

o

 

(TWO YEARS LATER)

 

With a 3rd-string quarterback, Ohio State hammered Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship Game by a score of 59-0 to vault themselves into the playoffs.

In the semifinal playoff, they defeated top-ranked Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

No Braxton Miller.

No J.T. Barrett.

Cardale Jones and company will take on Oregon for the title on January 12th in Arlington, TX.

 

o

OFFNY said:

o

 

Instant Classic: Is Enigmatic Ohio State Quarterback Cardale Jones About to Be a Footnote ... or an All-Time Great?

(By Matt Hinton)

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/college-football-championship-ohio-state-oregon-cardale-jones-legacy/

 

o

OFFNY said:
o

 

2014 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

*********************************************

 

OHIO STATE BUCKEYES lllllll.lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll - 42

OREGON DUCKS llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll..lllll.llllllllllllll). - 20

 

o

o

 

Cardale Jones to Return to Ohio State for Redshirt-Junior Season

(By James Grega, Jr.)

http://thelantern.com/2015/01/cardale-jones-to-return-to-ohio-state-for-redshirt-junior-season/

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

o

OFFNY said:

o

 

(TWO YEARS LATER)

With a 3rd-string quarterback, Ohio State hammered Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship Game by a score of 59-0 to vault themselves into the playoffs.

In the semifinal playoff, they defeated top-ranked Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

No Braxton Miller.

No J.T. Barrett.

Cardale Jones and company will take on Oregon for the title on January 12th in Arlington, TX.

 

o

OFFNY said:

o

 

Instant Classic: Is Enigmatic Ohio State Quarterback Cardale Jones About to Be a Footnote ... or an All-Time Great?

(By Matt Hinton)

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/college-football-championship-ohio-state-oregon-cardale-jones-legacy/

 

o

OFFNY said:

o

 

2014 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

******************************

 

OHIO STATE BUCKEYES llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll - 42

 

OREGON DUCKS lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.llllllllllllll.lllllllllll- 20

 

o

OFFNY said:
o

 

Cardale Jones to Return to Ohio State for Redshirt-Junior Season

(By James Grega, Jr.)

http://thelantern.com/2015/01/cardale-jones-to-return-to-ohio-state-for-redshirt-junior-season/

 

o

o

 

Cardale Jones Pulls Yet Another Upset

(By Austin Ward)

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/107768/cardale-jones-pulls-yet-another-upset

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2012 at 7:40 PM, OFFNY said:

o

 

After a dismal 1992 season (5-5-1) which ended with the departure of head coach Pat Dye, Auburn was on probation for the next following 2 seasons for booster payments to players. The ensuing fall, the 1993 Tigers put together an undefeated season, beating previously undefeated and eventual Sugar Bowl Champion Florida in the process. Also, that year's Auburn team was the only undefeated team in the nation, as 11-0 Nebraska was barely beaten by Florida State in the Orange Bowl, 18-16.

 

http://www.shrpsports.com/cf/teamseas.php?link=Y&team=Auburn&season=1993

 

This year's Ohio State team (12-0) is undoubtedly feeling a similar sort of redemption as did that 1993 Auburn team. They won't be playing for a national championship or going to any bowl game, but that 12-0 mark has to feel great. And, if Alabama beats Notre Dame in the national championship game next month, then Ohio State ...... just like Auburn in 1993 ...... will be the only undefeated team in the nation this year.

 

o

o

 

Well, since that undefeated 12-0 season in 2012 (ala Auburn's 11-0 season from 1993), the Buckeyes have ........

 

2013: lllllllll (12-2) lllllllllll [Lost Orange Bowl to Clemson]

2014: lllllllll (14-1) lllllllllll [NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - Beat Oregon in Title Game]

2015: lllllllll (12-1) lllllllllll [Won Fiesta Bowl Over Notre Dame]

2016: lll.lllll (11-2) llll.ll.lll [Lost Fiesta Bowl to Clemson]

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2012 at 7:40 PM, OFFNY said:

o

 

After a dismal 1992 season (5-5-1) which ended with the departure of head coach Pat Dye, Auburn was on probation for the next following 2 seasons for booster payments to players. The ensuing fall, the 1993 Tigers put together an undefeated season, beating previously undefeated and eventual Sugar Bowl Champion Florida in the process. Also, that year's Auburn team was the only undefeated team in the nation, as 11-0 Nebraska was barely beaten by Florida State in the Orange Bowl, 18-16.

 

http://www.shrpsports.com/cf/teamseas.php?link=Y&team=Auburn&season=1993

 

This year's Ohio State team (12-0) is undoubtedly feeling a similar sort of redemption as did that 1993 Auburn team. They won't be playing for a national championship or going to any bowl game, but that 12-0 mark has to feel great. And, if Alabama beats Notre Dame in the national championship game next month, then Ohio State ...... just like Auburn in 1993 ...... will be the only undefeated team in the nation this year.

 

o

 

 

On 9/23/2017 at 5:04 PM, OFFNY said:

o

 

Well, since that undefeated 12-0 season in 2012 (ala Auburn's 11-0 season from 1993), the Buckeyes have ........

 

2013: lllllllll (12-2) lllllllllll [Lost Orange Bowl to Clemson]

2014: lllllllll (14-1) lllllllllll [NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - Beat Oregon in Title Game]

2015: lllllllll (12-1) lllllllllll [Won Fiesta Bowl Over Notre Dame]

2016: lll.lllll (11-2) llll.ll.lll [Lost Fiesta Bowl to Clemson]

 

o

o

 

After beating Wisconsin in a thrilling Big Ten Championship game, Ohio State finished another excellent season by beating USC handily in the Cotton Bowl.

 

2013: lllllllll (12-2) lllllllllll [Lost Orange Bowl to Clemson]

2014: lllllllll (14-1) lllllllllll [NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - Beat Oregon in Title Game]

2015: lllllllll (12-1) lllllllllll [Won Fiesta Bowl Over Notre Dame]

2016: lll.lllll (11-2) llll.ll.lll [Lost Fiesta Bowl to Clemson]

2017: lllllllll (12-2) llll.ll.lll [Won Cotton Bowl Bowl Over USC]

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2018 at 10:18 PM, OFFNY said:

o

 

Ohio State Suspends Urban Meyer and Gene Smith (3 Games)

(By Bill Rabinowitz)

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20180822/ohio-state-suspends-urban-meyer-gene-smith

 

o

o

 

In Columbus, It's Like Nothing Ever Happened to Urban Meyer

(By Ryan McGee)

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24801322/ohio-state-buckeyes-coach-urban-meyer-wants-business-usual-penn-state-nittany-lions

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

o

 

vs. NEBRASKA (11/03/18) 

 

The Buckeyes bounced back from a disastrous loss to Purdue to beat a pesky Nebraska team at the Shoe in Columbus.

Under Urban Meyer (2012 - Present) Ohio State is now 6-0 in games immediately following a regular season loss, and 6-1 following any kind of loss.

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 4:17 PM, Frobby said:

 

Ultimately, that loss to Purdue cost Ohio State a spot in the four-way playoff. I cant really argue with the Committee’s decision.   

 

o

 

As I've stated before, I think that it's an indictment of the Division I-A football's stubbornness to enact what they should have done decades ago ........ an 11-game regular season and a 16-team playoff, just like Division I-AA (and Division II and Division III) has been doing for more than 40 years. It's something that Division I-A football should have always had, and never has. They have dragged their feet to the tune of going from having no playoff (1973 - 1997), to a 2-team playoff (1998 - 2013), to a 4-team playoff (2014 - Present.Making slight improvements every 20 years or so isn't going to cut it if you are trying to establish your product as having a legitimate playoff system, and subsequent crowning of your championI could live with an 8-team playoff (for the time being), as that would at least allow the major conference champions to get automatic bids, and also allow undefeated teams from non-power conferences to at least get a chance to win or lose on the field. As it stands now, they may as well not even bother lacing up their cleatsIf there were a 16-team playoff, these teams would probably have a lousy seed (perhaps a 13-seed or a 14-seed) because of their weaker schedule and have to play against a very tough team in the first round (a 3-seed or a 4-seed), but at least they would be in it and have a chance, which is the most important thing. 

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...