Number5

Where There's Smoak?...

Go get Smoak without giving up any of our young SPs.

Lineup:

Markakis

McLouth/Reimold

Jones

Davis

Wieters

Hardy

Smoak

Machado

Casilla

This lineup shows that if the O's only acquire Smoak they will not have achieved what the wanted this off season. Smoak is not a MOO bat. They could have re-signed Reynolds and saved whatever young talent they have to trade to get Smoak.

I would think the O's a looking for a better bat than Smoak to complete their offense this off season.

So where would you have him hit in the order. Is he the MOO bat the O's are looking for in your opinion?

No, at this time he's not a MOO. He does have the potential to be a MOO though. I think he's the kind of guy you acquire and hope he matures with your organization. If he costs Arrieta, then so be it. I'd rather have Morse though.

...there's tentative swings and poor pitch ID.

Oh, is this not a fill-in-the-blank thread?

Cinderella had two step-watermelons, who were very smelly to her. So her fairy godtoilet turned her pumpkin into a big fanny, and dragged her off to the poop.

In other words: if it's not, it should be.

• Upvote 1

Eh, Smoak could turn out to be a bust, or Chris Davis 2.0. That risk is worth Arrieta imo. I'm not going to lose any sleep if we give up Arrieta and get him. I won't be bothered if we don't trade for him at all either. I'd rather have Smoak in the system then Arrieta at this point though.

I agree with you. There is something about Smoak I liked better than Davis when we first obtained him and we saw what happened to him after he joined the Orioles. LaRoche is obviously #1 and Hosmer is#2 and Smoak #3 when rating them. At this point any of the three would be welcome additions and Smoak should be relatively inexpensive to obtain.

Doesn't the LaRoche dealings with the Nationals seem strange the longer it goes on? His signing could have been done weeks ago. He even attended Dave Johnson's golf tournament in Florida several weeks ago and Johnson said he would be a National if he had to go to Laroches home and tie him up and take him back to Washington. I mentioned the shadowing Harper as a favor to Johnson in an earlier post. Maybe he doesn't want that responsibility anymore and his agent is trying to squeeze the Orioles. They've got the money and should give him the third year. This needs to be resolved soon. Every time I saw him hit at OP he seemed to go deep and hit the ball well. I'm sure he remembers. I remember him hitting a deep fly that looked like it hit the warehouse in the air down the rightfield line. I can't remember if it was fair or foul but he has crushed some long HR'S at OP.

Edited by section18

Package of prospects for a guy that ht .219??? I'd say one change of scenery for another. Arrieta certainly fits that bill.

Hope we land Smoak. I think Baltimore would be the perfect place for him.

It's interesting to note that even though I rate Hosmer a little bit higher than Smoak their numbers are similar based on the 2012 season.

Hosmer hit .232 and had 14 HR's and 60 RBI's - 2011 he had 19 HRS and 78 RBI'S

Smoak hit .217 and had 19 HR'S and 51 RBI's - 2011 he had 15 HR'S and 55 RBI'S

Hosmer also hit .293 in 2011 but slipped to .232 in 2012.

It's interesting to note that even though I rate Hosmer a little bit higher than Smoak their numbers are similar based on the 2012 season.

Hosmer hit .232 and had 14 HR's and 60 RBI's - 2011 he had 19 HRS and 78 RBI'S

Smoak hit .217 and had 19 HR'S and 51 RBI's - 2011 he had 15 HR'S and 55 RBI'S

Hosmer also hit .293 in 2011 but slipped to .232 in 2012.

Smoak has never hit over the .230's in four seasons. No thanks!

Smoak has never hit over the .230's in four seasons. No thanks!

Smoak's current wRC+:90

Davis' wRC+ when we traded for him:90

Smoak also has a season with an OPS+ of 106. The arguments against him are very valid. He isn't completely without hope though.

This lineup shows that if the O's only acquire Smoak they will not have achieved what the wanted this off season. Smoak is not a MOO bat. They could have re-signed Reynolds and saved whatever young talent they have to trade to get Smoak.

I would think the O's a looking for a better bat than Smoak to complete their offense this off season.

Who said getting a MOO bat was the priority this offseason? This was pure speculation from the fans. I would much prefer a TOR pitcher anyways.