Greg

Earl Weaver passed away last night. (With Roy Firestone Remembrance)

A true visionary whose genius was obscured at times by his on the field antics.

The on-field antics were part of the package. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

One of the all-time greats. R.I.P.

• Upvote 1

Earl Weaver was 82. Once again, we're reminded how long ago the glory years were. I'm so glad we got to see him smiling at the statue ceremonies last season. R.I.P. Earl.

• Upvote 1

The on-field antics were part of the package. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

One of the all-time greats. R.I.P.

Putting attention on himself helped shield his players. Bobby Cox learned that method well.

RIP Earl.

Earl was moneyball before moneyball was a thing. A true visionary, and a HELL of a manager. I've read his books, incredible insight.

Wow.

If there is a heaven, and he doesn't get in, the entire afterlife should be played under protest, and the pearly gates should have dirt kicked all over them.

Weaver was traveling on an Orioles fantasy cruise in the Caribbean when he collapsed in his room with wife, Maryanne, at his side on the cruise's ship at about 2 a.m. Saturday, the New York Daily News reported.
source - ESPN
Palmer said that he heard of Weaver’s death at 3:30 a.m. Saturday from former Orioles pitcher Scotty McGregor. McGregor was on the same Orioles-theme cruise with Weaver. “I didn’t get much restful sleep after that,” Palmer said.
source - The Sun

The Earl of Baltimore, along with a few others, made it easy for a kid in Virginia to latch on to the O's at a very

early age even though the Senators were a lot closer and easier for his dad to attend games with him :) Many memories

of Earl, all great...even the tantrums which to an O's fan were kinda comical. RIP, Earl, your family and all O's fans are

in my prayers today.

Sad day for us Orioles fans. There are some people who you expect to live forever. For me, Earl Weaver was on of them.......he was too cantankerous to die. God better hope he gets all the calls right.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad we got to watch Earl kick some dirt onto home plate one last time, at the on-field statue ceremonies this past season. Everyone in Bmore truly loved you Earl, and we will forever miss your presence – your memories, however, will live forever!

Prayers and condolences to the Weaver family. Rest easy Earl and look down the team, this season is dedicated to you! You will be missed.

Earl was a visionary manager and one of the best shows in baseball kicking dirt and turning his hat around backwards at old Memorial!! Rest in Peace and share stories up there with Mark Belanger, Elrod, Flanny and others. Extra special kudos to Orioles for having the statues installed last year!!! Fantastic, fantastic organization decision!!

• Upvote 1

On my tombstone just write, 'The sorest loser that ever lived.'

-Earl Weaver

When someone is 82 you know they'd not going to be here forever, but it still sucks when the end comes. When I was a kid Earl was my hero. It was the time of Earl and Billy Martin and John McEnroe, and I thought umpires were there to be aggressively convinced to see your point of view. So I was kind of a jerk in backyard baseball. Earl was 5' 4", and it took me until sophomore or junior year of high school to pass him. I really identified with Earl. Guess it's good I didn't start chain smoking Lucky Strikes.

On my first date in high school I remember trying to make conversation with the girl, and mentioned I was reading Weaver on Strategy. Despite the fact she was an O's fan you can guess how the date turned out... :(

I obsessively played Earl Weaver Baseball on the computer for years. To this day I'll occasionally refer to the computer manager on OOTP as "Earl".

I had some knowledge of Earl's genius from the media discussions of his platooning and index cards. It wasn't until I started reading Bill James at 15 that I realized there was this whole other world of how to look at baseball, and that Earl pretty much grasped that by intuition. Earl wasn't right about everything, but he was right about a lot when most other teams and managers were stuck in baseball's dark ages.

I went to Cooperstown in '96 to see him inducted. As I would do for Eddie and Cal. Very glad I did that.

It's a sad day when one of your personal heroes passes.

• Upvote 1

RIP to a great manager and person. I'm glad that not only did he survive long enough to see his statue unveil..but to see a glimpse of what this franchise once was,and could be again.