Sign in to follow this  
ccbird

Thank you Joe

So, where would you rank Flacco in this group?

Flacco

Brady

P. Manning

E. Manning

Rodgers

Brees

Roethlisberger

Ryan

Schaub

Griffin

Luck

Wilson

Romo

Rivers

11 of those had higher passing ratings than Flacco, and I added Eli Manning since he has two rings and Luck because of his obvious potential. If you had to pick a QB for next year right now, who would you take ahead of Flacco? The first six listed all have rings, the rest don't.

All he do is win win win win....

At this point in the game I'm about ready to give Taylor a chance. Not only have the 2 Flacco turnovers led to 10 points but this offense is going nowhere so perhaps Taylor's mobility could give the team a spark.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/128727-Ravens-Future?p=3008498#post3008498

This is what I have been wanting all along. Flacco is not worth the money

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/128727-Ravens-Future?p=3008503#post3008503

:skeletor:

Here is the bottom line with Joe. He's a guy who consistently gets his team to the playoffs and has finally proven this year he can not only win a SB, but can carry a team to a SB title. He was clearly the MVP of the playoffs and the biggest reason this team made the run they made. Ultimately, thats all that matters. You know when he gets in the playoffs he's going to give you a chance to win it all. To me he is in the group with Eli and Big Ben. All 3 are going to have stinkers in the reg season as all 3 can be inconsistent at times. None of them put up big reg season fantasy type numbers. However, you know come playoff time, they are going to give their team a chance to win every game they play, no matter if it is on the road or at home. They can win anytime, anywhere in the playoffs. So I guess it depends on how much emphasis you want to put on reg season. It's one of those things where taking in everything, you still probably don't have Joe in the top 5 of Qbs as far as pure rankings. However, its all irrelevant once the playoffs start. There isn't 5 guys I would take over Joe for a playoff run. He's built for playoff football.

Edited by ccbird

:skeletor:

The sad thing is a lot of these "Raven"s fans that were Flacco haters haven't returned at all since the playoffs started. You would think they would be back to at least enjoy the wins and run we've put together even if they can't bring themselves to give Joe props and admit they look silly. it really makes me wonder how many of these guys were really Ravens fans or at least would rather be right about Flacco than see him and the ultimately the team succeed.

With that said, props to everyone who has been critical of Joe at times(which is completely fair) but has come back to praise him for his terrific postseason run. That shows me the people who are real Ravens fans and only care about winning and don't have an agenda..

How can you not have Kaepernick on that list? The guy just took his team to the Super Bowl and almost came back from a 22 point deficit. He would have been MVP if the niners won.

Inadvertent omission on my part. He should have been on there.

Here is the bottom line with Joe. He's a guy who consistently gets his team to the playoffs and has finally proven this year he can not only win a SB, but can carry a team to a SB title.

The Ravens were 3rd in the AFC scoring defense in 2008, 2nd in 2009-11, and 7th this year. I'd say the excellent defense is the biggest reason the Ravens made it to the playoffs five years in a row. That said, the offense has been very good too (4th in scoring in the AFC in 2008-09 and and 2011-12, 9th in 2010). My point is that although Flacco has certainly done a good job over the years, it's not like he had to carry the team for most of that time. I do agree that his perfomance in last year's AFC title game and the entire playoff run this year was stellar. I have no problem calling him an elite QB at this point.

Also is joe red hot? Or blossoming under a new OC.

The cameron factor is easy to gorget but very very obvious now it was holding joe back. See the 3rd and 1 audible and completion as somrthing that never happens under cameron.

I'm really excited to see what Caldwell and Flacco can accomplish in the regular season next year. I'm also hoping they can bring back McKinnie on a 1-year deal, and keep Flacco upright. Flacco was sacked 35 times last season, good for 8th most in the NFL. And he'd have had a lot more sacks if it weren't for his fairly quick release and maneuverability at times in the pocket (you saw him evade a few sacks in the Super Bowl). When he does get sacked, he's prone to fumbling the ball. He had 9 last season.

Protect Flacco, call the right plays (as Caldwell has proven to do), and watch Flacco turn in a huge regular season next year.

Those who want to gloss over Flacco's post-season and point to his "meh" regular season are completely ignoring the narrative. Cam and the o-line alignment were holding him back.

The cameron factor is easy to gorget but very very obvious now it was holding joe back. See the 3rd and 1 audible and completion as somrthing that never happens under cameron.

Agreed. If they keep Cam, barring Joe just completely ignoring everything he says, we don't win the Super Bowl.

I'm really excited to see what Caldwell and Flacco can accomplish in the regular season next year. I'm also hoping they can bring back McKinnie on a 1-year deal, and keep Flacco upright. Flacco was sacked 35 times last season, good for 8th most in the NFL. And he'd have had a lot more sacks if it weren't for his fairly quick release and maneuverability at times in the pocket (you saw him evade a few sacks in the Super Bowl). When he does get sacked, he's prone to fumbling the ball. He had 9 last season.

Protect Flacco, call the right plays (as Caldwell has proven to do), and watch Flacco turn in a huge regular season next year.

Those who want to gloss over Flacco's post-season and point to his "meh" regular season are completely ignoring the narrative. Cam and the o-line alignment were holding him back.[/QUOTE]

I really don't see how this point could even be argued now. Every aspect of Flacco's game improved in the playoffs.

Maybe I'm just Super Bowl giddy, but there's nobody on that list that I would over Flacco right now, nobody. The guy just had arguably the best post season ever, who cares about the regular season stats?

I really don't see how this point could even be argued now. Every aspect of Flacco's game improved in the playoffs.

Maybe I'm just Super Bowl giddy, but there's nobody on that list that I would over Flacco right now, nobody. The guy just had arguably the best post season ever, who cares about the regular season stats?

They'll want to see a bigger sample size, regardless of how much was on the line in the sample size they have. :D

And I say 89 Montana still is on top, mainly because that same 11 TD output came in 3 games, not 4. But it's inarguable top 5 out of 47 (a case can be made for top 3, too), and that's huge.

Barnwell does a pretty good job of putting Joe's postseason in context. He has it below Montana's '89 playoff run, but points out the case that could be made for Joe. I tend to agree with him overall. Joe's performance is right below Montana's '89 run.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8912868/bill-barnwell-puts-ravens-win-perspective

Edited by ccbird

I agree. Check out some Brees stats before and after Cam. I don't know if he's going to keep playing the way he played in these playoffs. I hope he does. I'm excited to see more of it over the next few years, post Cam.

I agree. Check out some Brees stats before and after Cam. I don't know if he's going to keep playing the way he played in these playoffs. I hope he does. I'm excited to see more of it over the next few years, post Cam.

I've been beating this drum for a couple years, I'll have to dig up my old posts where I put up Brees' numbers under Cam. They're virtually identical to Joe's numbers under Cam.

I think Cam Cameron is a good coach and a good offensive mind, however, he has his limitations. He's good for a young QB but he can only take them so far. His rigid, my way is the only way style only goes so far, then it's time for a change. It's no coincidence that Flacco and Boldin have really taken off since Caldwell was installed because the assistants and the players have ownership in the offense, they have confidence and believe is what is being called; plus Caldwell is tailoring to players strengths, rather than forcing them into a system or concept.

Also, with regards to the constant comparisons to other QBs....I've always said it's an apples to oranges thing. To compare Flacco to Brees, Brady and P Manning, 3 guys who have double digit years in the league, 2 of which (Brady and Manning) have ran the same system their whole careers and 1 (Brees) who is now under one of the most QB friendly systems in the league; that made a Pro Bowler out of Kerry Collins and got Quincy Carter to a 10 win season and division title with Dallas; is simply not a fair comparison.

Then when you look at Eli, Rivers and Roethlisberger, those guys had a 4 year head start on Flacco. Aaron Rodgers got to sit for 3 years behind a HOFer in Favre and then work with Mike McCarthy to rebuild his mechanics and refine everything about the position, with absolutely no pressure to win.

Flacco on the other hand, was supposed to be a 3rd stringer, raw but talented, who was never supposed to see the field in 2008. All he's done is win 2 division titles, an AFC title, a ring and a SB MVP. And yes, he was part of a TEAM....just as all these other QBs are. All these other QBs have defenses that make key stops, they all have WRs that make good catches, they all have lines that make blocks for them.

I won't even comment on RG3, Kaepernick, Wilson and Luck. These guys are all talented, no doubt about it but sports fans and media get WAAAAAY ahead of themselves. The word "great" is thrown around far too much and too easily. Let's see how these guys grow and hold up over time before we start annointing them as anything. Let the league get a good look at the tape and see how they adjust and respond.

Bottom line, I'm sure people are going to continue to find reasons to be critical of Flacco. I don't know what it is but there's a segment of fans and media that just seem to flat out not like the guy. Maybe it's his personality (or lackthereof) maybe it's the inability to let go fo the long held perception that the Ravens are a defense/run first time and the QB is just "along for the ride" but at this point, F all those people. As the saying goes, haters gonna hate.

I'm excited about having #5 under center for the next decade. When I look at what he's already accomplished in 5 years, the fact that he still has room for growth and his age relative to the "elite" QBs and the fact that Joe is just entering his prime, whereas Brees, Brady and P Manning are in the October/November of their careers, it's tough not feel really good about our guy.

I don't have the time right now to go back further, but since 2000 (Super Bowl XXXIV Rams vs. Titans) there have been 14 Super Bowls (including that one, and this year's). Flacco has, fairly comfortably, had the best QB performance in those Super Bowl's.

A few performances that are comparable are Tom Brady vs. the Eagles in Super Bowl XXXIX, Drew Brees vs. the Colts in Super Bowl XLIV and Aaron Rodgers vs. the Steelers in Super Bowl XLV.

Of those comparable performances, Flacco has the highest QB Rating, and significantly higher QBR.

Pretty damn impressive.